2003 montero live data reader

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Literally any OBDII reader with LD capability. That is the majority of them. Here is a cheap one that my daughter uses with her 2002 Montero

plh

Explorer
I used a cheap OBD2 bluetooth dongle (Amazon) and the Torque App on my Android phone.

commostud

I will try my reader again. It has a live data button. But it does not work like it does with my 1999 forester.

commostud

Yesterday it did not work at all to read live data. Tonight I got all the data I need. Strange. Well at least my new to me montero is not overheating. The Guage is just haywire.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I use an Ultra Gauge in the Montero. Works well.

The temp. gauge is a known issue. It can be repaired by removing the instrument cluster and soldering the connection, or just ignore it and keep an eye on your Gauge.

Cheers

I use an Ultragauge in a Gen2, it's nice to monitor temps and check rpm since my tach just sits at 3k. I also set up alarms, like if the coolant temp goes above 210 degrees an alert sounds. MPG and DTE readings are also pretty accurate and has the option to compensate for tire size.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
I ordered/downloaded Evoscan. It is "the cats meow" for Lancer Evo folks, but it's pretty slick for OBDII scan for Montero, and will display and record a fair amount of live data. It does way more than our Montero's can feed, and I have no need to reflash the computer. Software is cheap, cable costs a bit. It has paid for itself many times over. I use a laptop.
Evoscan

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
And you can also record the screen output from the reader with your phone, I have a thread in how did it with a cardboard box

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles