2003 Montero Limited 3.8L Crankshaft Sensor Plate Question

pcvalkrider

Hi Everyone, I am replacing the timing belt on my 2003 Montero Limited with the 3.8L V6 and I have a question about the crankshaft position sensor plate that came on the motor. The sensor plate that I have has the pins spot-welded about 8-10 degrees to the side of the holes in the plate. this means that the gear, plate and spacer do not line up correctly with the key slot in the gear. This is what was on the motor when I took it apart as the photo shows.

Because the crankshaft pulley and gear came off in one piece and I had to beat them apart to get them separated I decided to replace both pieces with new Mitsubishi parts. The new crankshaft gear came with the pins already in it. In looking at all the information I can find online the sensor plate and spacer are supposed to line up with the pins in the gear. If I line up the holes in the sensor with the pins in the gear the key slot aligns correctly.

Right now I am at a loss on how to put this back together. Do I pull the pins from the new gear and use the pins in the sensor plate or cut the pins from the sensor plate and get everything to align correctly? I am hoping someone else has had this issue and can give me some input on how to put this back together. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• DSC_0647.jpg
    DSC_0647.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0662.jpg
    DSC_0662.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 18

nckwltn

Explorer
I don't recall that in my 3.8... as in, I don't recall seeing holes and pins in the plate.

Because of the keyway in the plate, and the gear, and the spacer... that's what I would use to line things up.

I would put it all together with the old setup, and see if the keyway in relation to the pin locations are the exact same in the new gear.... I do recall that in both of my monteros (99 and 03) that the pins in the gear weren't secured, and I could pull them out with pliers. The pins are really just used to help things stay aligned while your sliding them onto the crank.... once everything slides onto the keyway, the pins aren't really don't much.

strange for sure though

Monstero

Adventurer
The pins are there for alingment, because the key does not extend all the way to the back of the crankshaft with the sprocket on there. I had this same problem when I just replaced my crankshaft position sensor. I thought they only aligned initially for setup but then after feeling the depth of the key on the crankshaft it does not go all the way to the back to hold this like you would think. I would remove the old and use the new pins on the new sprocket since they are new and not tweaked or anything. Simple pliers will pull them out.

pcvalkrider

Thanks for the feedback nckwltn & Monstero. I did some additional research after posting on the forum. The pins are not supposed to be where they were. Whoever did the last timing belt change allowed the crank gear to slip forward and the reluctor plate to come off the pins. When the crank pulley was torqued on the pins were almost welded to the plate by the force. In some instances I saw photos of where the pins had punched new holes. Today I took the pins off with pliers and got everything to align correctly. Took extra care to make sure the crank gear did not come forward when putting on the crank pulley. I'll know more when I start up my Montero tomorrow.

nckwltn

Explorer
Wow! Glad you were able to solve it. I though it was REALLY strange that the pins in the timing plate didn't line up with existing holes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles