2003 Montero Limited 3.8 started then doesn't start again...

cnutco

Adventurer
I didn't have time to look too much into it this morning as I jumped in the car with a neighbor to ride to work, but I started my Montero this morning and then noticed all the warning lights still on in the dash. So then I turned it off to reset and a start again, but this time the engine just turns over without issue but fails to start.

I had time to check the oil before I left and it registered on the halfway mark from full to add.

I was hoping I could get some insight to what to check when I return home.

The Montero had not been ran all weekend and the temps when in the high 20's to mid 30's.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Lee

cnutco

Adventurer
The Montero sarted right when I returned home today. Going to check fluids again and go with it.

Moderators, please delete this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loremordred

Observer
If you needed a jump... And it doesn't start, try checking your fuses.

I had that issue after replacing the valve covers, and doing work, but had a spark.... Later it would turn over but just die.

Turns out it was my 120v fuse by the battery.

May be electrical.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Something happened that wasn't normal and it left you stranded. If it were my rig I'd sure as hell want to know why it did that.

nckwltn

Explorer
we had a fuel pump go out in our 03 a few weeks ago (155k miles).... didn't throw any codes.

Thursday wife texts, car won't start... I get home at end of day, starts right up... sunday night, in the home depot parking lot, while it's raining.... car won't start again.... try off and on for an hour, friend comes and takes wife and kids home... I call AAA.

AAA guys gets there, I explain the issue, he says "Let me see if I can get it going"... I say "good luck, but I don't think you'll be able to"... he walks to his truck, fumbles through a bag.... tells me to try to start the car, and he starts rapping the gas tank with a rubber mallet.

Car starts right up.... I'm totally shocked.... I walk over to the guy, he says "what happened?" (as if he doesn't already know).... I say "Car started"... he just nods his head.

Changed out the fuel pump that night, pretty easy.... fuel lines have quick release (no tools needed), you do need to flip up the rear passenger seat.... I swapped the old pump out of the housing and put the new pump back in the same housing.... has been working well ever since.

Probably need to change out my fuel filters as well.

clmrt

Adventurer
Mine will not start if you don't get it to go on the first crank of the key. If that happens, depressing the gas pedal will make it fire. I wonder if it has to do with low fuel pressure. Some day I'm going to look to see if there's a schraeder valve on the fuel rail for checking pressure. Maybe today.

kcwebguy

In my 2003 Montero Limited this symptom was a faulty fuel pump.

Tee pump sounded like it was working, smelled fuel at the engine like it was working. But it had become weak and it wasn't until I replaced the fuel pump that I could start it up again.

Now all is well... for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles