2003 Lance Lite 845

MYTACO

Adventurer
You may have seen my other posts in the pop up TC forum... My son and I are looking at a 2003 Lance Lite 845 for his truck. He has a SB Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. We go on Monday to check it out--and hopefully pick it up.

Any tips on things to look for?

One question we have is whether or not we will need to take out the bed liner for the happijac tie downs. Anyone?

BillTex

Adventurer
You may have seen my other posts in the pop up TC forum... My son and I are looking at a 2003 Lance Lite 845 for his truck. He has a SB Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. We go on Monday to check it out--and hopefully pick it up.

One question we have is whether or not we will need to take out the bed liner for the happijac tie downs. Anyone?

Check for the usual suspects; leaks/mold/stains/soft spots. Bring a flashlight and an ice pick. Fire up ALL the appliances, run the jacks up/down. Fill the h20 tank.
Don't rush...look in every corner/closet/under mattress.

Cant help on the HJ's...I run TL's.

The older Lances were pretty good. If it has been kept up....you should be OK.

Bill

MYTACO

Adventurer
Got it. Thanks. It has the winter package but it does look like it has AC. I am in Texas. Would it be hard to add AC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillTex

Adventurer
Probably not hard to add A/C. If there is a light or fan near by you tap into that. A/C means you will need hookup or genny...is that what you want? Also adds weight up high...

Something to think about.

We run (12v) maxxair fan...no need for A/C...but we are not in Texas.

Bill

brian90744

American Trekker
Its possible its prewired for A/C, at the center vent, you can pull down the inside vent trim to check for the wiring. Also check the 110V fuse panel for A/C label.
just my FYI

Got it. Thanks. It has the winter package but it does look like it has AC. I am in Texas. Would it be hard to add AC?

rotti

Adventurer
No plastic drop in liners.
Spray in liners and rubber bed mats ok.
Check the rear wings closely for water damage/rot.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

You might want to research the payload capacity of the 2500 SB. According to the manufacturer,the Lance Lite 845 dry weight is 2240#. Add the gas and water etc and it'll be considerably higher.

805gregg

Adventurer
Most camper come with air, if not it will be wired and set up for it, check for leaks around the front window, I just bought a new to me 2003 Lance it's great one of the best manufacturers, you might ask your questions at Lance Owners.com

MYTACO

Adventurer
We got the Lance Lite 845. 2003. Needs just a little work but should be camping ready by next weekend!
nu4y3ava.jpg

May be back soon to ask more questions. Also need to update my taco Phoenix write ups. Need more free time!

Keyne

Adventurer
MyTaco. Does this replace the Phoenix camper? I was sad to hear your Phoenix story but hope you find a setup that works for you.

MYTACO

Adventurer
This doesn't replace it. This is my son's new-to-him camper.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
It is always best to buy a TC with all the attributes you eventually want, and not add on later. Many reasons. The 2003 / 845 is in a pretty good window for Lance. I have a lighter yet, less tall, narrower, Lance Lite 165-s, Xcab that has been a good trooper for me, especially considering the roads we go on. One of the successes has been that we have nothing on the roof. No weight up high. Don't discount the value of that aspect, especially if you are going off-road.

My only other thought is that a Dodge Cummins 2500 must have the suspension and tires upgraded to carry the load of the even modest 845. My '01.5 came with the 'camper package' from the factory which included upper secondaries (aka: upper overload springs) which was, defacto, Dodge's first entry into the land of the SRW/one ton, and an upgraded Dana 80 rear axle to 35 splines and a higher weight rating. Even with that, I had to incrementally increase the defacto (non-weight-police) load carrying capacity.
Go to this thread about my Dodge suspension build-up:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27572829.cfm
Good luck on your quest, if indeed there still is a quest.
regards, as always, jefe

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My '98.5 2500 was undersprung and under dampened to carry my Northstar. A little help from KORE and it was fine.
Same camper on my '07 2500 CTD was hideous. My platform has the highest payload due to the single cab,but even that didn't cut it. It's got a hodgepodge of Kore,Lorenz,Hellwig and Thuren components that manage to work pretty well.
The 3rd and 4th gen trucks have longer rear springs and in my opinion softer spring rates fore and aft.
Carli and Thuren offer specially valved shocks. I don't know if either offers a stiffer front coil for TC owners.
I do know National Spring does.
Hauling a hardsided camper around presents an issue of designing a compromised ride which will be adequate for the laden truck but won't beat you to death with the camper dismounted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles