2003 Cruiser 4x4 Motorhome

Bhoads

Hello, this looks like an interesting rig, but I have a few questions for the experienced 4wd mechanics/converters out there. I watched the video, and then called the seller, and this rig was converted to 4Wd, using a Dana 60 front diff. He is running 17" rims up front, and 16" rims (duallys) in the rear. I asked about this, and he said the actual tire diameter is the same, so no issues with 4wd, wear, etc. Is this an accepted technique, or is it just asking for trouble down the road? I imagine it would make the whole spare situation unusual also, do you carry 2 spares, or a repair kit and compressor????

Of course running around in 2wd won't be a problem, or just using the 4wd to get through a sand patch, but what about extended runs in 4wd, for instance going up a snowy mountain pass?

Just curious if anyone has ever heard of using mixed rim sizes with what are said to be tires of the same diameter.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Bill,
I asked seller where conversion was done, and he said in Baja, but he wouldn’t tell me where.
He said the guy has done hundreds.
A little disappointed that he wouldn’t tell me though.
That seems kinda sketchy to me.
Maybe it’s a Javier conversion?

Bhoads

Zip, thanks for the reply. It looks like a nice coach, but I’m not comfortable with having 2 different rim sizes. If the bolt patterns are the same, why is it different than stock? Ideally it would have a SRW setup (if possible), same rims/ tires all around. I’d also like to know who did the conversion for future support.

Bill

Last edited:

Msand

Importer
If it was done in Baja, the only guy I can think of is Mr. CROW it looks like his work as well.... Look how the front break lines were kept stock, and not extended, they are practically vertical with no play in them. Im guessing the rear is the same as well. This is a nice coach, but if you flex more than 4" you're losing breaking capability, also no transmission cooler, and some of the engine hoses are rubbing against the steering stabilizers.

Last edited:

onemanarmy

Explorer
Zip, thanks for the reply. It looks like a nice coach, but I’m not comfortable with having 2 different rim sizes. If the bolt patterns are the same, why is it different than stock? Ideally it would have a SRW setup (if possible), same rims/ tires all around. I’d also like to know who did the conversion for future support.

Bill
U Joint conversions sometimes does the same....larger wheels up front to use larger rotors, but stays with the factory 16 inch wheels on the dually rear. Overall OD is the same, and only really need to carry a front spare...can limp along if a dually tire blows out. Not ideal, but doable.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Lack of disclosure would be a deal breaker on any rig without a huge discount IMO

Kinda like pleading the 5th with nothing to hide <insert rolling eyes here>

Rockey709

This vehicle is parked a few blocks from my house and the m not ashamed to admit that I’ve laid under it and noticed a lot of the same items pointed out up front. It actually looks really good. There are a few things I’d address (like the brake lines and tightening all of the bolts etc, but that’s peanuts and these are hard to find. I’d buy it in a jiffy if I hadnt just sunk 20k into my ambulance project. 45-50 would be my number though.

baja camper

Hi All
I just wanted to chime in as the owner of the vehicle. This is the fifth 4x4 conversion I've completed in Mexico. I have put thousands of hard Baja miles on three of these vehicles with no problems. I've worked with a few different race shops that do conversions. The one I'm using now is the far the best with quality craftsmanship and parts. I hate to be secretive about location but I have spent a lot of time and money finding and developing this relationship. I always tell customers they are welcome to have the vehicle thoroughly gone through and tested by any mechanic. Longer brake lines were instaled and are appropriate for the vehicle articulation. I will look at the radiator hose. Thanks for the heads up. Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers
Dave

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Dave,
Thanks for chiming in.
Your vehicle is very cool looking, but I don't understand your decision on choosing not to disclose who did the 4x4 conversion.
If the builder has high quality workmanship and parts, wouldn't this be a selling point for you?

Last edited:

baja camper

Great question. Over the past couple years I’ve invested a lot of time and money trying out different race shops. It took me a while to find the right shop right build combination with hundreds of hours of inperson oversight to insure my specifications and requests. I get several calls a week from people who are not interested in the vehicle but want to know the shop as they are looking to do the same thing I am. For now I’m going to protect all my R and D as this has turned into a nice side business for me.
Thanks
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles