2003 BMW X5 (E53) Overland project

Overland-X5

Just bought this a couple months ago. So far with the small lift kit and tires, it has gained about 3" of lift in the front and 2.5" in the rear. With the small lift and wheel spacers it allowed me to get some 265/70-17 BFG KO2's under there. It's a work in progress and will be slowly adding to it. I'm not going to be doing serious crawling or anything with it it. But a some overlanding and camping are in its future. Next mod will be a decent roof basket.
shKbxxg.jpg

J044AT6.jpg

2gleP2C.jpg

wLybkse.jpg

GJxZumR.jpg

OfZRB33.jpg

L6NEGCg.jpg

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
My wife has an e70 x5, and I joke with her about lifting it. I dont think hers is as easily lifted however. Yours looks sharp!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Welcome to Expo! My daily driver (well, it's more like a monthly driver these days as I don't get to drive much) is a 2003 X5 4.4 with 175000 miles. I love it.

Overland-X5

My wife has an e70 x5, and I joke with her about lifting it. I dont think hers is as easily lifted however. Yours looks sharp!
Thanks! Yeah, the E70 is completely different, but I believe is lift kit is in the works by Fluid Motor Union. At least that's what they told me a couple months ago. Get the kit, install it and post it up! lol

Overland-X5

Welcome to Expo! My daily driver (well, it's more like a monthly driver these days as I don't get to drive much) is a 2003 X5 4.4 with 175000 miles. I love it.
Yeah they are great vehicles, especially the first gen (E53). They a certainly not the most capable, but they can surprise you. Mine has the tried and true super reliable 3.0L M54, but I wouldn't mine one with the 4.4. I had a 540i M-sport for about 5 years, so I'm super familiar with the M62TU. I replaced all of the timing chains/guides on it my self. Hell of a task.

ArizonaX5

Just bought this a couple months ago. So far with the small lift kit and tires, it has gained about 3" of lift in the front and 2.5" in the rear. With the small lift and wheel spacers it allowed me to get some 265/70-17 BFG KO2's under there. It's a work in progress and will be slowly adding to it. I'm not going to be doing serious crawling or anything with it it. But a some overlanding and camping are in its future. Next mod will be a decent roof basket.
shKbxxg.jpg

J044AT6.jpg

2gleP2C.jpg

wLybkse.jpg

GJxZumR.jpg

OfZRB33.jpg

L6NEGCg.jpg
Looking good. I have a e70 that I’ve been taking Offroad. Nothing crazy. Planning a trip for November. Arizona Peace trail Salome to Yuma. I’ve got Michellin defenders now but I was looking at 18” wheels and BF Goodwrench KO’s for Offroad . Thinking about a roof mounted cargo box and a hitch basket to accommodate more gear for longer trips.

JackW

Explorer
Talk to these guys - Sarek Autowerke - they are doing cool things with X5's. Some late model Range Rover suspension parts will bolt in (remember BMW owned Land Rover for a while)

URE14-228.JPGURE14-230.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94