2003 AWD Savana

Did my first camping trip at the beach this week. Love my van. But the sofa bed sucks. I came home early my back was killing me. Time to sell the sofa bed and build a new platform. At least I got 3 killer days of surfing in.

Installing the 2" Boulder lift today.

Attachments

• 59555909192__752CB0ED-4B14-43D1-8DC1-FA12C1B3D23E.JPG
    59555909192__752CB0ED-4B14-43D1-8DC1-FA12C1B3D23E.JPG
    590.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 59555906646__7CC28D76-47C5-4F62-95F0-D719EA3E3C67.JPG
    59555906646__7CC28D76-47C5-4F62-95F0-D719EA3E3C67.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 65

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Did my first camping trip at the beach this week. Love my van. But the sofa bed sucks. I came home early my back was killing me. Time to sell the sofa bed and build a new platform. At least I got 3 killer days of surfing in.

Yep, conversion-van sofa beds suck as beds. I chalk it up to the complications of movable geometry while trying to have a really comfortable seat. The curves needed for a seat bottom and lumbar support make for a very wavy shape when laid flat. I had a craigslist sofa bench in our Astro van for many years. Eventually I used reproduction VW Rock-n-Roll hinges and built a steel frame so I could get a truly-flat bench/bed. Coupled with a cut-down Ikea futon mattress, we sleep much better these days. The rear seat cushions are slab-flat now, but it's a compromise I'm willing to force my daughter to make. :D (She usually rides in the rear.)

eaglevo

I have the Explorer conversion electric fold down bed and have tested a few different solutions. We now have settled with the Exped Duo air mattress over the top of the bed. Super happy with the results!

Scotty D

Looks 1000% better without all that crap on it.
What is purpose of all that stuff?
Just outdated design ?
Its like the horrible RV cabinets , just and old style for people who are no longer buying anything.

kntr

Observer
What did you end up paying for your van? Im thinking about selling mine and can't figure our a price.

dlrecord

Over the weekend I removed the conversion body kit. Half of the screws where loose or coming out of the panels. looks why better.
What have you done, or planning to do, with the holes left behind from the body trim kit? I removed mine too but now have the holes to contend with. Thinking about applying a truck bed liner (Line X) along the bottom sections...

Choff

Adventurer
I was looking into filling holes and doing the same thing, I checked you tube and found guys that did the same thing to pickup trucks.
Looks good when done.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94