2003 4runner Sport - 16" Wheel Fitment

Azrunner27

Observer
Hey All,

I am in the market for som new shoes. That said, I REALLY want to move into the realm of the 255/85/16 work vs the 255/80/17 due to availablility. I have read that the sport models come with bigger brakes hence why they come with 17's from the factory.

So my question is if there are any 16' wheels that I can aquire get by with the fitment issues? If so is there any specific BS and offset measurments I should look for? I appreciate all the knowledge and help in advance. Thanks

-Tanner

java

Expedition Leader
Tanner,

Depends on the wheel make model and back spacing. some 16's will clear with slight grinding of the caliper, some wont. All depends on the casting/spoke shape, and back spacing. so 16's are do able, but can be a PITA to find one that fits.

olsen_karl

Adventurer
Another option: replace the front brake calipers & rotors with the smaller size available on the 4th gen 4Runners. If it's time for new pads & rotors anyway, then it's not as ridiculous as it might first seem. Also, sticking caliper pistons are a common issue on the 4th gen -- if you're having any weird braking symptoms (e.g. pulling), it might be caliper time anyway.

java

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't downsize to the smaller brake. They are heavy trucks and can use as much brake as possible IMO! Its possible without doing that if you REALLY want a 16.

There are quite a few threads on this on toyta120

Azrunner27

Observer
I talked to the guys over at wheelers and they advised that the 16' wheels they carry should clear the brakes. I think im going to order some and give them a try before I purchase the tires. *Fingers Crossed*
:eek:

java

Expedition Leader
I talked to the guys over at wheelers and they advised that the 16' wheels they carry should clear the brakes. I think im going to order some and give them a try before I purchase the tires. *Fingers Crossed*
:eek:
Whgich wheels? you might do a quick search on Toyota120 and see if other people have had luck with them if they are a common wheel.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Switching to smaller brakes seems like a very expensive path to take if your objective is to save money on 16" tires. Wouldn't the cost of the new calipers and rotors be more than the cost difference between a set of 16" and a set of 17" tires? And that's just the parts - your time has value too (well, I don't know about you but MINE does!) You would also have to obtain 16" wheels.

From what I've seen (at least in the places I've been shopping) the cost difference between 16" and 17" tires wouldn't be enough to justify such a radical change.

What's the point of spending a dollar to save a dime? ;)

olsen_karl

Adventurer
I wouldn't recommend swapping out calipers/rotors in order to use 16" wheels (seems like a lot of costly work for no benefit), but that is one way to do it. The rotor size difference is 13.3" vs. 12.6". Not sure you'd see much difference in braking distance between the two in a single stop; probably see some added fade resistance upon repeated stops.

To the O.P. -- you might be able to use a 16" steel wheel and clear the larger calipers -- thinner than the OEM aluminum wheels. Perhaps stop by a tire/wheel shop and do a test-fit to see if it'll work? Or, IIRC, 2nd-gen Tacomas come with a steel spare; maybe you can find someone local who has one and try that out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne