2002 Tahoe "Expedition" build

Jelorian

Adventurer
I dont want to jinx it but your new rear end should be pretty much bulletproof. I will do the exact swap when mine goes. Were you able to retain the e brake? I'll check out your thread on the z71 forums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Thanks Jelorian, I hope it is as tough as the 14 bolt's reputation seems to be. Yes, I was able to use the parking brake cables that came with the axle with a slight modification.

Roody

Adventurer
Oh man this was a blast from the past. I remember reading about this truck back on Z71T-S when I had my '04 Hoe. Dig it for sure.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Where did you get the red and black bow tie?

It is the factory bow tie. I just popped it out, sanded it down, painted it black, then masked it off, painted the red, removed the masking tape to reveal the black, and then sealed it with several coats of clear. After it had set up for a couple days I just snapped it back into the grille. Probably one of my very first "mods" I did 12 years ago, cool that it still gathers attention. :)

Tinbanger

Awesome Tahoe you've got! I'm trying to picture how you did your defender rack, could you get some close up pics on how you mounted it? I have an 08 suburban in trying to get a low profile rack on. Thanks

SergioinPa

Hey, how are ? I remember reading and talking with you back over at Suburban tahoez71 forum. (I went by the name FullMetalJacket) You were gonna help me do the torsion crank on my z71 on a trip from Pittsburgh to Delaware.
Anyways, just read all 25 pages! Wow, so impressive ro see your work and attention to detail. Glad to see you, your rig and pooches all doing good. Great forum!

Stryder106

Explorer
Long time no chat. Looking good and nice job on swapping the 14 bolt. I went ahead and stayed with my 10 bolt but added 4.88s and an ARB air locker. I'm going to fab a truss for it to help strengthen it a bit. Question for you on your rear springs: Which ones are you running? I just found out that mine are BASE model springs - which kind of angers me since I have a NFE that came with ATs, 17" wheels, 4.10 gears and I THOUGHT Z71 suspension. I have the Air Lift bags in my coils, but I'm getting ready to add some weight over the back - overbed rack for a RTT, either more fuel or water where the spare used to be, and a fridge. When I thought I had Z71 springs, I was considering the H2 springs, but now that I know I only have the base ones, I'm wondering if going to the Z71 might be a better option.
//
My concern is not increasing the rear ride height too much as I'm already leveled up with CST keys and I don't want a rake. I'm also considering going to a stiffer torsion bar and back to stock keys (not sure if a stiffer T-bar will go in with the CST keys). Or, there is that front coil-over conversion kit that one guy was making (thinking he still is) - I just don't know the quality and durability of it for extended overlanding distances.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
200K Views

Hey, how are ? I remember reading and talking with you back over at Suburban tahoez71 forum. (I went by the name FullMetalJacket) You were gonna help me do the torsion crank on my z71 on a trip from Pittsburgh to Delaware.
Anyways, just read all 25 pages! Wow, so impressive ro see your work and attention to detail. Glad to see you, your rig and pooches all doing good. Great forum!

I am well, of course I remember you FMJ. :) Welcome to Expo Portal, thanks as ever for your kind words.

Long time no chat. Looking good and nice job on swapping the 14 bolt. I went ahead and stayed with my 10 bolt but added 4.88s and an ARB air locker. I'm going to fab a truss for it to help strengthen it a bit. Question for you on your rear springs: Which ones are you running? I just found out that mine are BASE model springs - which kind of angers me since I have a NFE that came with ATs, 17" wheels, 4.10 gears and I THOUGHT Z71 suspension. I have the Air Lift bags in my coils, but I'm getting ready to add some weight over the back - overbed rack for a RTT, either more fuel or water where the spare used to be, and a fridge. When I thought I had Z71 springs, I was considering the H2 springs, but now that I know I only have the base ones, I'm wondering if going to the Z71 might be a better option.
//
My concern is not increasing the rear ride height too much as I'm already leveled up with CST keys and I don't want a rake. I'm also considering going to a stiffer torsion bar and back to stock keys (not sure if a stiffer T-bar will go in with the CST keys). Or, there is that front coil-over conversion kit that one guy was making (thinking he still is) - I just don't know the quality and durability of it for extended overlanding distances.

Thanks Stryder. I do plan on putting in a locker sometime but alas my home projects keep taking away "fun" money for the rig. For now I am just happy to have the 14 bolt under there. As for the coils question: I switched out my LT coils with Z71 coils when I did my spacer lift. Unsprung the LT coils were about 1.5 inches shorter than the Z71 coils. I am very happy with the ride with the bags inflated to handle the weight. I am not sure about the different torsion bars, there was a company that made aftermarket ones but they have since stopped making them for the Tahoe. I have read up on the coil over conversion as offered by Atomic Fab & Performance and considered them as a viable alternative to the torsion bar suspension. But, alas, refer to me leading comment about where my "fun" $$$ keeps going. :( (not to mention age / mileage related items are now cropping up on the Tahoe that must take precedence. 2 weeks after I finished the axle I had to replace the right front hub bearing and the CV axle):Mechanic:

Just as an aside I saw that today I hit the 200,000 view mark. I am incredibly honored by the many people who have shown interest in my project truck in the 9 years since I first opened this thread. It has been neat getting to share my knowledge ( and also learn ) here on Expo. I never thought that my crazy ideas & projects would garner so much interest.

:safari-rig:

Happy exploring.

ZapataUSMC

Loving the Tahoe! What offset do you have on your wheels? I'm using wheel spacers and converted from the 6 lug to 5 lug jeep stock rims my pops gave me. Ever since I got new tires, I've been wanting to go back to the 6 lug since the spacers have been causing premature failure of my front wheel bearings.

wheel bearings are that fragile? I had spacers on my jeep for ALOT of miles with no ill effects.

That Tahoe is putting quite a few more LBS to the ground than a jeep. I also think that there is probably a lot more wear and tear because of the IFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Loving the Tahoe! What offset do you have on your wheels? I'm using wheel spacers and converted from the 6 lug to 5 lug jeep stock rims my pops gave me. Ever since I got new tires, I've been wanting to go back to the 6 lug since the spacers have been causing premature failure of my front wheel bearings.

Thanks much. I do not know what the exact backspacing is on the wheels, when I ordered them I told the company I needed a 6 lug pattern to fit the Chevy Tahoe. They are American Racing Mojaves 17 x 8 in size. I do not run spacers on the wheels and have been very happy with them. Easy to clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz