2002 Sequoia Limited 4WD

tall

Bought my valve and Ts off eBay. Can't guarantee they're OEM. Here's some current listings (looks like price went up). The fittings on the heater valve was in a similar condition as the Ts, but less degraded (didn't crack like the Ts). Considering that they're all tied together, it just seemed like the smart thing to do while I was in there.
LOL, the price of everything has gone up. I appreciate this. I did the Tees with OEM parts last year. I'm probably going to do the radiator at some point this year as preventative maintenance. I'll go for the valve at that point if I don't find an excuse to get in there sooner. (edit: And thanks for the note about ebay and maybe not OEM. That's good that I don't have to sweat it)

Again, thanks for your help and thanks for keeping your build page up. It's a lot of help!

godzillus

Sal, do you have any close up shots of how you mounted your bumper? Did you cut off the crumple zone? I’m drawing up a similar one for my 04. I found a good video game sequoia model and converted it to a surface model for solidworks14D2F025-FBDC-422D-A92C-E3C82F07351B.jpeg

Sal R.

Sal, do you have any close up shots of how you mounted your bumper? Did you cut off the crumple zone? I’m drawing up a similar one for my 04. I found a good video game sequoia model and converted it to a surface model for solidworksView attachment 719343

The frame was taken back as far back to clear the radiator, boxed in, and reinforced. The crash bar was removed.

The "wings" are supported by the body mount brackets.
PXL_20220430_211646596-320.jpg

Last edited:

Sal R.

MAINTENANCE: DIY Alignment

DURATION:
2 hours

COST: $150

MATERIALS:
8MILELAKE Alignment Turn Plates Kit

SUMMARY:
The shop I've been going to for years had a 5-year unlimited alignment policy that I purchased, which more than paid for itself over the life of the policy. When it came to renew, there was a change and they no longer offer it for modified vehicles. Add to the fact that I've been unhappy with their work causing my MTRs to wear badly, I figured this was time to tackle this myself (figure out good settings) before I replace my clapped out MTRs with 29k.

With the turn plate kit, the process was pretty simple with the following results DS/PS using my hobo freight angle finder:

Caster: 2.4/2.1
Camber: 0.2/0.2
Toe: 1/16in toe in

Used the string method for setting toe.

Tracks straight, no pull under acceleration or braking, no vibration up to 85mph.

If this works out, the turn plates will pay for itself after another alignment.

Close enough is good enough.

PXL_20230305_182350939-345-347.jpg

Last edited:

2.ooohhh

If you wanna save the money on the turn plates 4 cheap 12x12 linoleum tiles from amazon($10 for 10) with a smear of bearing grease between them(2 per side) will allow the wheels to move as needed during home alignments.

Sal R.

If you wanna save the money on the turn plates 4 cheap 12x12 linoleum tiles from amazon($10 for 10) with a smear of bearing grease between them(2 per side) will allow the wheels to move as needed during home alignments.

I've used trash bags before to make minor adjustments when my alignment got knocked out while out (marked my cams).

I invested in the plates so I can make more consistent adjustments to caster relative to my tools and driveway. Takes out some of the guesswork.

Last edited:

Sal R.

Went back to the STT Pros.

At 32% tread, I got 35k out of the MTRs vs the 56k to the STTs.

The STTs did better in CA winter snow than the MTRs, but that is conditional and subjective.

Both did well in sand around Imperial, Joshua and Anza.

Both are comparable in cost these days, so given I got more out of the STTs, it felt like the better buy.

And the alignment plates paid for themselves lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94