2002 RR resurection

david despain

Adventurer
Hello my name is david and I have new to me rangie. A 2002 HSE with about 78k on the clock, I have rescued it from certain doom and now it needs to be resurected to it's former glory.

I bought it as a repo for a song but it needs lots of work. its sitting on the bumpstops, the abs light is on, traction control problem comes on the info display, testbook! is lit up on the HVAC, it wont blow warm air and the RH floor mat is wet, I'm guessing heater core/ o-rings. bank had it looked at and the shop said it needs a water pump, rear transmission seal. The shift knob has been replaced with some ricer aluminum handle. And it needs a really good detail job quite badly.

I have four months until my lease is up on my current truck, so the Rangie is in my garage for a while to get everything sorted out in one shot. We'll see how that works out.
My goal is to make it my daily driver and be reliable as it can be for the next 5 yrs or so. It's going to get a thorough going over and replacement of worn or suspect parts. I will tryto be be as frugal as possible with out being a cheap. I owned a 2000 DII for 4 yrs so I am familiar with LR in general but I know very little about the specifics of the RR. Should be fun times! Wish me luck.

Last night, first repair. Replaced a missing bolt in the RH tailgate latch so it closes properly.
got it up on jackstands and wheels off to have a good look underneath. nice and clean, minimal rust.

Both front airbags are completely seperated from the upper piece. thats not supposed to happen is it? I have seen where you can buy just the bladder for repairs but i would think its got to be all one sealed or glued or crimped or somehow attached piece. Other wise if you lifted a wheel it would just blow all the air out and thats probably not good. also it has been sitting for at least a few months if not longer on the bumpstops and both rear airbags look like they have been folded in half and crushed for that time, probly not good either.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
You must get ahold of Rovermack here on the portal. He has a nicely built P38 with coil conversion and loads of other stuff. He will be a great asset.

lexwoody

Adventurer
Hello my name is david and I have new to me rangie. A 2002 HSE with about 78k on the clock, I have rescued it from certain doom and now it needs to be resurected to it's former glory.

I bought it as a repo for a song but it needs lots of work. its sitting on the bumpstops, the abs light is on, traction control problem comes on the info display, testbook! is lit up on the HVAC, it wont blow warm air and the RH floor mat is wet, I'm guessing heater core/ o-rings. bank had it looked at and the shop said it needs a water pump, rear transmission seal. The shift knob has been replaced with some ricer aluminum handle. And it needs a really good detail job quite badly.

I have four months until my lease is up on my current truck, so the Rangie is in my garage for a while to get everything sorted out in one shot. We'll see how that works out.
My goal is to make it my daily driver and be reliable as it can be for the next 5 yrs or so. It's going to get a thorough going over and replacement of worn or suspect parts. I will tryto be be as frugal as possible with out being a cheap. I owned a 2000 DII for 4 yrs so I am familiar with LR in general but I know very little about the specifics of the RR. Should be fun times! Wish me luck.

Last night, first repair. Replaced a missing bolt in the RH tailgate latch so it closes properly.
got it up on jackstands and wheels off to have a good look underneath. nice and clean, minimal rust.

Both front airbags are completely seperated from the upper piece. thats not supposed to happen is it? I have seen where you can buy just the bladder for repairs but i would think its got to be all one sealed or glued or crimped or somehow attached piece. Other wise if you lifted a wheel it would just blow all the air out and thats probably not good. also it has been sitting for at least a few months if not longer on the bumpstops and both rear airbags look like they have been folded in half and crushed for that time, probly not good either.

To get pointed in the right direction and get a lot of question answer. This to links would be helpful. I had an 95 Disco and know all about LR blues.

http://landroverforums.com/forum/

Get an overhaul and repair CD and if parts needed. They are real good!!!
http://www.landroverparts.us/

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
David,

Are you just planning on daily driving it or do you plan to make some mods?

Give us a little more detail as to what duties you will be pulling with this pound puppy.

If it were me I know what I would do...

Attachments

• rearDCP_2380.jpg
    rearDCP_2380.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 520

david despain

Adventurer
To get pointed in the right direction and get a lot of question answer. This to links would be helpful. I had an 95 Disco and know all about LR blues.

http://landroverforums.com/forum/

Get an overhaul and repair CD and if parts needed. They are real good!!!
http://www.landroverparts.us/

yeah i have bought a thing or two in the past from BP. they have always been fantastic.

David,
Give us a little more detail as to what duties you will be pulling with this pound puppy.

mostly daily driver. occasional weekend camper, sometime explorer of local utah stuff. never alone though. truth be told i dont have time for long trips, and i have little kids. yeah yeah i know.
i hope to keep it clean and classy while improving reliability and capabilities. you know the standard expo stuff. i plan to drive it at least 5 or 6 yrs before i could afford another vehicle. at that point who knows, but i figure by then it wont owe me anything. thats a long ways off though.
i would like to put a fridge in it though.
is that alan bates' truck? i am using his research and numbers for a base for coils.

david despain

Adventurer
I got my sears diehard platinum battery mounted up tonight. I went with the P-2 instead of the group 31 size that is stock. It has a better warrenty, was cheaper, and was in stock. now i'm all oddesy-ed up and have reliable power. I had to make a plate at the bottom with a 90 deg lip and a plastic riser under the batt and a new hold down strap for the top to accomodate the slightly different dimensions. hmmm what to do next.

david despain

Adventurer
it's not sitting on the bumpstops any more. The airsprings and all of their mounts and shocks are out and I am just awaiting delivery of thier longer and steel wound cousins to arrive.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
David,

that is SUCH a sweet looking RR you attached, easily one of my favorite "looking" 4x4's, they're just so classic, kind of like the LC60 and 80. I'd really like to see a few 2 door's because aside from Videos on you tube I never see them anywhere, not even in OZ...

Cheers

Dave

RoverMack

Adventurer
You must get ahold of Rovermack here on the portal. He has a nicely built P38 with coil conversion and loads of other stuff. He will be a great asset.

Missed this;
By all means pm me regarding the RR
P38 are very sensitive to battery voltage and a low battery can trigger some interesting electrical issues, i use the Odyssey 2150.
Great source for suspension informationhttp://www.rockrover.com
As with all LR's maintenance is the key to reliability especially if you are doing some trails.The P38 with a 108" wheel base and really good suspension articulation is a capable trail vehicle. Front Sway bar disconnects are a useful and cheap suspension upgrade (JKS). Watch your brake lines with a coil suspension lift.
Good source for info is alsohttp://rangerovers.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=6fd8d2143a161434a0e3088542b6e478

Good luck, and a photo to hopefully provide you some motivation
y1p77s2OSoUXZ-1hA-YflA7ZhQDwHe1N2_33Vl34BdulvgMRMHhGV05d1044my1y4Giq_5fIL19BOU

david despain

Adventurer
Hey David, what area are you in?

cottonwood heights.
its been very quiet in the local area as far as trips planned or pictures lately. there are not as many posts on the boards i read by you or marc or some of the others that i used to see a lot. hopefully I can hook up with some wasatch rovers once this project is back on the road. thats the plan anyway.

rovermack. pm sent. what is your setup like?

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
2002 RR Resurection? Let it die man!! Get yourself a RRC and build that. I am glad to say that I don't pour money into a P38 any longer. P38 - The bad years of Land Rover!

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I like P38s a lot. I really like how they drive, the seating position, and definitely the interior. I understand their reliability shortcomings, however when properly maintained they are really few and far between. Eliminating the air suspension solves a whole mess of potential problems, and aside from that the only thing making it more complex than a similar vintage Discovery is the BECM. It is rare that a BECM will fail so badly that the vehicle will not operate. Sure, some (or many) functions may fail, but the basic vehicle operations are fairly sturdy.

The only electronic system on a P38 that would leave me feeling uneasy about taking one into the backcountry is the security system. I have seen that fail, leading to a no-start condition or a vehicle lockout. There are ways to solve this. If I were travelling, I would carry a small/portable limited function LR diagnostic tool with me that had security and BECM capability.

It's great to see someone using one of these trucks; they are rugged, durable machines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles