2002+ Range Rovers - Educate Me

Storz

Explorer
All of my previous Land Rover vehicles have been older, and of the Discovery flavor. I had a '96 and an '02. Poking around on my local CL its amazing how affordable the 02+ Range Rover has now become. As my family is growing by 1 next month, and with the inevitable VW TDI buyback this summer I am left searching for a vehicle to fit our needs. I really enjoyed both of my previous Land Rovers, especially the 2002 Discovery. The part I didn't enjoy though was the constant apprehension on long trips for electronic gremlins and the constant leaking of...well everything.

Are these things remedied with the newer Range Rovers? They moved away from the ol Buick motor right? Any and all info and experience would be most appreciated! I basically am looking for a comfortable daily driver, with space for a family of 4 to go "car/tent camping", reliability and very light (think forest road) "off roading"

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I'm going to catch some flak for this but:

I would vote you go for the Ford years, 2005-2010. Drastically improved reliability. At least if you are talking NAS trucks. Not saying I don't love me a D2, I just drive a D3. The D3 starts up and goes, doesn't leak a bit. Gremlins few and far between (mileage may vary). There are some very nice D2's, P38's, etc. I'm just saying maybe those are the exceptions more than the rule.

Storz

Explorer
Did the Range Rover ever get the Ford 4.0 like the LR3?

I am going to avoid the D2 and P38 like the plague this time around, I love 'em but want a less involved ownership experience this time around...

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I do not think so, only a few LR3's had the 4.0 V6, so I doubt the full size RR had it. Look for the 4.4, thats the engine to have.

evilfij

Explorer
03-05, BMW motor, 5 speed trans, 06 and up, Jag motor and 6 speed trans.

The jag motor is quite excellent as is the six speed trans. The supercharged version is great (I have it in my 07 super V8 jag). The 03-05 does have some issues but they are approaching the dirt cheap range of price. I owned them when new and they were fine, but now you see some motor and trans issues and, of course, the air suspension.

They are not leakers like the previous Buick based rover V8s.

I would not wish a p38a range rover (95-02) on my worst enemy.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Bonus: RRS shares engine/drivetrain with LR3. Not bad trucks to service. 6-speed trans as stated, is very nice.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Oddly the RRS around here is 2x the price of the fullsize Range Rover

Very unusual.

If your comparing an 03' RR to a 07RRS then i'd get it.

RRS vs LR3

RRS has
Less room
More power with supercharged sport model
Jersey shore styling
More upscale interior
Less ground clearance
More $$

Other than a better reliability the RRS doesn't offer anything over the full size IMO.

I like the LR3 personally but could understand how it wouldn't appeal to someone over a Range Rover. I do however appreciate the 7 passenger capability/increase in interior space.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
LR3 has SOOOOO much interior space. The fact that the RRS didn't have a split tailgate was a huge dealbreaker in my eyes. Think top gear said the same when it came out.

KyleT

Explorer
06 Range Rover is the most reliable year of the l322 and the non SC has more suspension travel. 06+ supercharged ones are starting to eat transmissions. 07-09 all have more creature comforts but have more electrical issues. I wouldn't hesitate to get any 06-09. Make sure you get a LUX package if it's not a SC. The vin starts with SALMF on the hse lux. O7-09 have cooled seats in the lux so that's another way to tell.

The Range Rover will be more comfortable and more reliable and less Maintenace heavy than the lr3 and the sport. Don't believe otherwise. You won't be replacing diffs, suspension bushings, interior pieces, airbags(crash ones that crack and peel), glass roofs, wheel bearings, cv's, and all the other FOMOCO stuff that wears out all the time on the lr3 and sport. The engine and trans are bulletproof though.

Edit I wouldn't take a free 03-05 bmw Range Rover. All kinds of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoDavis

Explorer
06 Range Rover is the most reliable year of the l322 and the non SC has more suspension travel. 06+ supercharged ones are starting to eat transmissions. 07-09 all have more creature comforts but have more electrical issues. I wouldn't hesitate to get any 06-09. Make sure you get a LUX package if it's not a SC. The vin starts with SALMF on the hse lux. O7-09 have cooled seats in the lux so that's another way to tell.

The Range Rover will be more comfortable and more reliable and less Maintenace heavy than the lr3 and the sport. Don't believe otherwise. You won't be replacing diffs, suspension bushings, interior pieces, airbags(crash ones that crack and peel), glass roofs, wheel bearings, cv's, and all the other FOMOCO stuff that wears out all the time on the lr3 and sport. The engine and trans are bulletproof though.

Edit I wouldn't take a free 03-05 bmw Range Rover. All kinds of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like your take on this. Cool to know. I might like to build a RR next if I can't dig up a defender. Or make a nice one for mom.

KyleT

Explorer
So 2006+ fullsize Range Rover is good to go?

YES but remember 2006 had a slightly different dash and console than 07-12. 06 is more challenging to get an iPhone interface into as well unless you have rear entertainment. I would go 07-09 personally with LUX package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke