2002 MB VARIO 815D van...............

David Y. Jang

Hi, everyone.

I have a campervan based on 2002 MB Vario 815D van.

But my car doesn't even work properly in Mercedes services.

MB's STAR diagnostic unit with a 14-pin circular connector, even if they're diagnosed... They can't read car information normally.

Just say they don't know why.

Do you happen to know this experience and how to solve it?

This is Korea. Thank you. ^^

C p weinberger

David, I see no one has responded, as for USA, there are no Vario van sold here, they need to be at least 25 yrs old to import so no one knows about a 2002...
I think you should try an English blog or get help translating your request into German and post it on a MB website.
When I was overseas I would actually cold call people at a garage or dealership in a developed country and ask them to help me, when I explained I was calling from overseas they were usually pretty helpful to locate some other shop that could answer my questions if they didn’t know, this of course only works for the countries you speak the language of..

David Y. Jang

Dear...
Thank you very much for your kind advice.
As you advised, I will post a question on the MB website in Germany. ^^

David Y. Jang

David you do not say what the problem is , I have a 2002 814 da,

Hi, dear ....^^
My problem with VARIO 815D is...
The dashboard shows the ABS warning lamp.
But the ABS function seems to be working normally.
So I want to check the fault code through the diagnostic.
The diagnostic system doesn't recognize the vehicle as normal.
MB service advisor says he doesn't seem to recognize the old vehicle because it's the latest diagnostic.

Ummm......
I don't understand that.
Unfortunately, as far as I know, there are only three MB Varios in Korea.

Just before the warning light, I replaced the tire with a size bigger.
But it was an acceptable size-up for my car.

Sitec

Adventurer
Just before the warning light, I replaced the tire with a size bigger.
But it was an acceptable size-up for my car.

Hi David. Long shot... Have you still got the original wheels/tyresnto try back on it? Is it something to do with going up a size... Wheel sensors picking up a difference in speed?? If all the new tyres are the same size, brand and pressure then it should be fine...

David Y. Jang

Hi David. Long shot... Have you still got the original wheels/tyresnto try back on it? Is it something to do with going up a size... Wheel sensors picking up a difference in speed?? If all the new tyres are the same size, brand and pressure then it should be fine...
Hi, Sitec. Thank You.
The only thing I've changed is the tires. The wheels are still in use.
Changed from 205/75R17.5 to 215/75R17.5.
The MB User Manual says it is the size available in my car, but the actual speed is different.
So I'm thinking maybe it's a warning from the difference.
What do you think?

part time nomad

Adventurer
David, I am assuming that you have replaced all 4 tyres to the same size, if so this will not affect the ABS

I think the first thing you need to check is that each wheel sensor is in a close enough proximity to the exciter ring on the hub, the sensors slide in their housing on the axle, although they are quite stiff! just get a bar or drift and knock or lever as far as you can towards the outside of the vehicle, or towards the hub. You cant push them to far, they will simply make contact with the exciter ring and driving the vehicle and cornering will create a sufficient air gap. Before you do this though jack up each wheel and check the wheel bearings for play, as movement in the bearing will push the sensor away from the ring, creating a fault! The exciter ring teeth need to be relatively clean, make sure there is no grease or rust in the teeth groves, if so clean them out, if there is oil/grease you may have an oil seal issue. After you have done all this, you can check the sensor output! disconnect the sensor wire (there should be a plug near the sensor) with the wheel jacked up, connect a multi-meter, (in the resistance setting, you should see between 1 - 2 k, then in AC voltage lowest setting about 0.3 volts) to the 2 contacts in the plug to the sensor, spin the wheel to approx 15 kph, and a good sensor will show a reading, it will be very low, I cant remember what it should be. but roughly the same for each wheel. replace the sensor for any that are defective.

I hope this helps. obviously check all wiring and plugs for damage.

Clive

Ullie

Adventurer
Is your question, how can I read out the diagnostic or is your question how can I solve the problem with the ABS?

On your dashboad you normally have a switch to shut down ABS, in that case the ABS light starts burning in your dashboard. Maybe you accidently pushed this switch?

About the diagnostic read out, sorry, no suggestions since I've never used this.

Good luck with your search.

David Y. Jang

Is your question, how can I read out the diagnostic or is your question how can I solve the problem with the ABS?

On your dashboad you normally have a switch to shut down ABS, in that case the ABS light starts burning in your dashboard. Maybe you accidently pushed this switch?

About the diagnostic read out, sorry, no suggestions since I've never used this.

Good luck with your search.

Thank you, Ullie.
My problem is... ...there's an ABS warning lamp on my Vario dashboard.
So I tried to scan it with a diagnostic, but when I read it on the old one, it went well, but I can't read it with MB's latest one.

And there's no ABS shut down switch in the Vario. Unfortunately...

David Y. Jang

David, I am assuming that you have replaced all 4 tyres to the same size, if so this will not affect the ABS

I think the first thing you need to check is that each wheel sensor is in a close enough proximity to the exciter ring on the hub, the sensors slide in their housing on the axle, although they are quite stiff! just get a bar or drift and knock or lever as far as you can towards the outside of the vehicle, or towards the hub. You cant push them to far, they will simply make contact with the exciter ring and driving the vehicle and cornering will create a sufficient air gap. Before you do this though jack up each wheel and check the wheel bearings for play, as movement in the bearing will push the sensor away from the ring, creating a fault! The exciter ring teeth need to be relatively clean, make sure there is no grease or rust in the teeth groves, if so clean them out, if there is oil/grease you may have an oil seal issue. After you have done all this, you can check the sensor output! disconnect the sensor wire (there should be a plug near the sensor) with the wheel jacked up, connect a multi-meter, (in the resistance setting, you should see between 1 - 2 k, then in AC voltage lowest setting about 0.3 volts) to the 2 contacts in the plug to the sensor, spin the wheel to approx 15 kph, and a good sensor will show a reading, it will be very low, I cant remember what it should be. but roughly the same for each wheel. replace the sensor for any that are defective.

Clive

Thank you very much, Clive.

I'll follow your friendly and professional check process.

If I can't do it myself, I'll ask the service center to check it out.

Thanks again. ^^

Ullie

Adventurer
Thank you, Ullie.
My problem is... ...there's an ABS warning lamp on my Vario dashboard.
So I tried to scan it with a diagnostic, but when I read it on the old one, it went well, but I can't read it with MB's latest one.

And there's no ABS shut down switch in the Vario. Unfortunately...

Sorry, can't help you with this.
You don't have the switch? So it's a 4x2?

We've had the warning light once, the sensor at the wheel was melted. So didn’t need a diagnostic, it was obvious after having removed the drum on the rear axle.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts

Clive
Not to hijack this thread but would you know if this advice is applicable to an 1988 1120 AF? When we first got the truck the abs light was off/on. Now after parking it over last summer to work on the chassis, subframe and cab it is always on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles