2002 dodge dakota "build"

storey618

Observer
Hey guys, names Tommy!
ive been a long time member on this forum but, generally i just use as a tool for inspiration. decided today that id finally post a build thread. this wont be some crazy build like most that are on here but, hopefully someone enjoys it.

this is my 2002 dodge dakota that i picked up for $3400 in august of 2018. its mostly base model, auto, 3.9l, 4wd. the truck came from howard city, maryland who originally owned it many years ago before it went to auction. when i bought the truck it had 127xxx miles on it, dry rotted tires, and a severely cracked windshield. however it had very little rust for a truck that had spent a few years in michigan.
bhX0Nj9h.jpg

first thing i did was drive down to indiana to pick up a set of 16" wheels with nearly brand new mastercraft courser axt's (265/70/16) which was a big upgrade from the tires and wheels the truck came with!
Ro0KzIlh.jpg

next i had to get ready to head to ludington state park in northern michigan for a week of camping with the girlfriends family. it was about a 3 hour drive from where i live. the girlfriend insisted we take our kayaks so i had to find a rack. i managed to find one no more that 16 hours before we had to leave. this is the truck loaded up in BFE
boi4pSoh.jpg

around that time i also got the windshield replaced by a friend, and then i started doing small things; maglight mount, and wired up some extra 12v plugs, paracord wrapped the grab handles, installed some lights on the bumper.
NL40h9eh.jpg

0iAh3Zxh.jpg

mWIGpE9h.jpg

and then i went in deep mud for the last time in a long time. i was sunk up to bumpers, was not a good time. i still find chunks of mud on the truck.
Bw6qwIzh.jpg

added some old ammo cans i had, my shovel (held in with quick fists), and a toolbox my grandparents had from when i was a kid. thats in the process of getting replaced.
Hl4pIBbh.jpg

after this i just drove the truck around for a few months. i decided id replace the pads which ended up turning into a very expensive ordeal. 2002 brake calipers are single piston and the slides go right into the knuckle, well upon removal i found 3 helicoils for the slides, and the fourth slide was a self tapper. i made a decision to just replace the pads, run them flat, and save money for a 2003 brake upgrade (dual piston bracketed calipers, bigger rotors). well the next two days were smelly to say the least. the drivers side caliper wouldnt stop locking up so i broke down and did the upgrade then and there.
xaskAqch.jpg

8lfmo3Ch.jpg
\

Cpym0F7h.jpg

i dont have a picture of the completed install but it was a very worth while upgrade!

that brings us up to the past couple weeks

ipad mount that ive recently installed. its a padholdr bracket, and arm with an otterbox clip
N1taaZrh.jpg

here it is in the truck. i have a dual gps receiver in the mail so this thing will soon be more than just a music player.
Hr0NMqJh.jpg

ive been trying to focus on organization lately since the cab is so small.

found out velcro sticks very well to the carpet behind the seats. small tool kit, small first aid, and a lantern currently hung up
bJmfKjRh.jpg

and then some command strips put on the dash for wire management. these ones will be for the charge cable going to the gps receiver
AFNcE1ah.jpg

again, hopefully someone finds this interesting. i do have plans for bigger things in the future but, while its still cold here i'm enjoying doing smaller projects to the truck.

SoTxAg06

Cool little Dakota. I had a 02 QC many years ago. Only complaint is they never really had much of a aftermarket following for suspension upgrades. I think Rancho made a kit for them, but that was about it. Will have to see if I can find some old photos of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

storey618

Observer
Picked up another center console yesterday to redo my ************ first attempt. Moved the switch so it wouldnt blind me when it's on, and found a dual usb plug. Put it on the side where everything gets plugged in so the wires are out of the way. Finished it off with some adhesive wire separators my dad gave me.

sSo5u7E.jpg

QeSUsXr.jpg

moTDL2p.jpg

storey618

Observer
been a while since i posted.

ive gotten the truck stuck
1wcS3jFl.jpg

made a relocation bracket for my cb mic so it stopped falling on the floor
jQHPRMQl.jpg

scored a nearly new front driveshaft at the junkyard for $28, they sell for $300 new
sZyr20al.jpg

then i got some new wheels
GdvsgqUl.jpg

UJ5Me66l.jpg

I had a 98 Dakota that I still love to this day. I traded her for a 95 ram and still regret getting rid of her. One of the best trucks I've ever owned. White single can just like yours but she was a 5 speed

storey618

Observer
Not a whole lot going on outside of maintenance lately. Changed axles, and hubs. I thought the weather was breaking so I threw the ladder racks back on in Hope's of getting out to kayak but that hasnt happened yet. Gotta love Michigan's bipolar weather.
ub35Wos.jpg

ZKdJqFT.jpg

storey618

Observer
Took my bumper cover off for more clearance, Skid plate of some sort to come. Then took it to an offroad park with my buddy and put it through the roughest stuff it's been through so far. It could use some bigger tires but other than that it was hanging with lifted jeeps on bigger tires.

WU4ZDhc.jpg

jQrjuJf.jpg

VIjYbdb.jpg

Put some hooks on the rack for the girlfriend and I to hang our hammocks off of

XH5sOvN.jpg

And then I've been carrying my handgun more but, I hate having it in the holster when I drive. I remembered I had a cheap holster from my airsoft days. So, i made up a bracket and mounted it on the bottom side of the dash. I know they make magnets for guns but, I feel much more comfortable with the holster knowing its clipped in and cant fall out.

ykpxzcO.jpg

g7I3DNp.jpg

Gds6hTk.jpg

I0ED7Lt.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

storey618

Observer
Back from camping

OZME9bR.jpg

Came back to this thing. Picked up some rubber washers and drilled a hole by the jack and tool set. Need to get another wire to run to the CB and then the whole thing will finally be finished up.

RdI0rlL.jpg

Iau7hK2.jpg

PxEFA40.jpg

storey618

Observer
Picked up this astatic cb mix at a flea market for $2. It’s 100x nicer than the one that came with my cb

SRdM3Xs.jpg

Also made up this mount:

O4h2kAi.jpg

AqPZOHl.jpg

I ordered a bunch of stuff on Saturday including walkies for my friends that don’t have cb’s to talk while wheeling. This will be a place to hang the walkie and I’m thinking I may attach a phone mount to it.

polishammer

Very cool. My first new truck was 98 Dakota, single cab, 3.9l V6, 5speed, 2wd. Gave it to my dad about 15 years ago and it still is his daily driver to this day. Great gas mileage and not a single leak. Only bad things are paint (like most of the ones from those years) and AC quit working.
Good to see that you are enjoying your truck.

storey618

Observer
Quite a bit has happened since my last post

I picked up a phone case from a company called rokform. They make iPhone cases with magnets in them. I mounted my original padholdr arm to my OHC and made a little piece of steel to use as a phone mount.

OZdN1ND.jpg

Made up this cb mic mirror mount

iwqfJY3.jpg

Then I made up a mount that bolts to the bottom of my seat and bought another padholdr arm to remount my iPad. Don’t have a picture of the mount but here’s everything in one picture

XRVt8J0.jpg

Installed some cheap led fogs. Bought a stock switch from a fog light equipped truck and a relay. Dodge wires all trucks for fogs wether they have the option or not

Used an old hid ballast extension to make them plug right into the stock plugs
NhFli8c.jpg

Here they are installed
fNeero6.jpg

I also scored a cheap cap and am in the process of making a platform so the girlfriend and I can go camping without a tent

YFrGNWv.jpg

epO8hDD.jpg

More to come!

storey618

Observer
just some random pictures from yesterday, first time going out for the purpose of taking pictures in a long time.

smzFTR5.jpg

bHo3X2q.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior