2002 Dodge 2500 Sport Build (CAL)

Mbrothers

I have been chasing the things that we can't get in North America for some time (i.e. Turbo Diesel Landcruisers) and after hosting an Australian and discussing how Americans are so infatuated with all the turbo diesel Toyotas when we have some of the best (really big) turbo diesels available to us I decided to build up a 2nd gen cummins. This will primarily be a pretty basic build with the intent to go down to Baja often.

-I currently have the carli commuter suspension without leaf springs. Most likely will ditch it or get them revalved (to soft) and once I figure my weight out I will be getting some ALCAN springs.
-I have the thuren sway bar, and updated track bar
-Steering box brace
-Synergy Steering kit, do not like it. (will be getting rid of this and going with the t style moog set up soon)
-Engine is Bone Stock ( i intend to keep it that way until I get all my gauges, i.e: EGT, Boost, tran temp or coolant temp)
-I have a manual torqe converter, stand alone hydraulic booster for the 47rh, and a exhaust brake all installed from the PO
-40 gallon transfer in the bed so total 75 gallons (its awesome, except when its empty)
-Currently have 35x12.5r17 with AEV Salta's (they fit but barely)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 7.17.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 7.17.34 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 7.17.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 7.17.54 AM.png
    507.5 KB · Views: 86

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Nice truck. I have a soft spot for second gen Dodge Cummins as I made a lot of money off them over the years. I also owned one for a few years until I used it for deer hunting one July night on Highway 97 just north of Madras Oregon by the rest stop. It's in my back yard waiting for me to pull the engine, trans, and rear diff to live on in something else.

The weak points on the second gens were the auto trans, steering, and the VP44 IP. Sounds like the trans and steering have been or are being upgraded. The VP44 is fed by an electric lift pump that likes to fail. When it fails the VP44 has enough suction to keep running but it's not getting enough fuel so it tends to damage internal components and eventually quits. I've replaced more than a few. I've actually had a couple that I was just doing a service on and they wouldn't start after the fuel filter change, that's a fun phone call to make to the customer. I like the DDRP by FASS, Dodge Direct Replacement Pump that replaces the stock electric pump. And the fuel pressure monitoring LED light kit.

Mbrothers

Nice truck. I have a soft spot for second gen Dodge Cummins as I made a lot of money off them over the years. I also owned one for a few years until I used it for deer hunting one July night on Highway 97 just north of Madras Oregon by the rest stop. It's in my back yard waiting for me to pull the engine, trans, and rear diff to live on in something else.

The weak points on the second gens were the auto trans, steering, and the VP44 IP. Sounds like the trans and steering have been or are being upgraded. The VP44 is fed by an electric lift pump that likes to fail. When it fails the VP44 has enough suction to keep running but it's not getting enough fuel so it tends to damage internal components and eventually quits. I've replaced more than a few. I've actually had a couple that I was just doing a service on and they wouldn't start after the fuel filter change, that's a fun phone call to make to the customer. I like the DDRP by FASS, Dodge Direct Replacement Pump that replaces the stock electric pump. And the fuel pressure monitoring LED light kit.
Yes I plan on doing the FASS lift pump soonish. And will certainly look into the fuel pressure monitoring kit, i like that. Thanks for the info!

Explorerinil

Observer
Yes they are great! and its one of the newer cars I have ever owned so I it certainly feels new. About to start the preventive maintenance train.
I had a ton of leftover parts for that gen, I got rid of them a few years ago (trash as I couldn’t find anyone to buy them). I had a few sets of coils from, skyjacker to the old ******** cepek long arm kit they made back in the day to a few very early thuren parts from when he got his start.

Mbrothers

why dont you like the synergy steering linkage? you're the second person I've heard that from this week.
It is still an inverted y. So out of the box it is already inferior geometry wise versus a t-style steering kit. Even though it is very beefy. But my biggest qualm with it is the fact that the steering stabilizer clamp moves on me all the time and hits my diff cover. I have moved it 4 times.

Mbrothers

Did our first long trip in the truck since I have done the suspension, sound deadening and dampening, and tires. The truck sat at 1900 rpms at 78 mph and it was pleasantly quiet (wife approved). Also was able to get really close the South Rim. IMG_5069.jpeg

Mbrothers

My next item on the list is most likely going to be Carli Control arms and some Alcan leafs. The shop I work at uses Lou for almost all of our trucks and he is such a pleasure to work with. Also going to try to get my hands on a AEV snorkel template to see if I can make that work....

Yes! Fellow second gen guy. Love my 12v. Well… most the time. Super curious what your gonna come up w for a snorkel. I did a search a while back there seems like there NEVER was a decent snorkel made for this truck. Oh well. Take good care of that vp it’s a tender little guy. as you already know a lift pump is your friend on this motor. I’ll have to check out the trans parts you mentioned. Stand alone hyd booster? Sounds interesting. I’m miss my 96 w the auto, once the turbo lit, it was on. My current 97 loses boost between gears. I’ll be checking this one out. Frojoe has a killer build thread I drooled over for a while. Awesome ideas and execution.

Mbrothers

Yes! Fellow second gen guy. Love my 12v. Well… most the time. Super curious what your gonna come up w for a snorkel. I did a search a while back there seems like there NEVER was a decent snorkel made for this truck. Oh well. Take good care of that vp it’s a tender little guy. as you already know a lift pump is your friend on this motor. I’ll have to check out the trans parts you mentioned. Stand alone hyd booster? Sounds interesting. I’m miss my 96 w the auto, once the turbo lit, it was on. My current 97 loses boost between gears. I’ll be checking this one out. Frojoe has a killer build thread I drooled over for a while. Awesome ideas and execution.
Yes It's moderately surprising how few of us there are! I will take a pic of the controller once I have it out, I just learned today actually that i Don't have rh and that I have the re supposedly so I will need to figure out what that switch is actually doing now. As far as Snorkels go I am mocking up a template from AEV to try that first, and then going to try the 4 inch stainless steel snorkel for a 80 series Land cruisers (relatively similar body lines). But the lift pump is #1 on the list right now.

370HSSV

My next item on the list is most likely going to be Carli Control arms and some Alcan leafs. The shop I work at uses Lou for almost all of our trucks and he is such a pleasure to work with. Also going to try to get my hands on a AEV snorkel template to see if I can make that work....
Yes, another 2nd gen. Curious on the alcan leaf setup as it's also my next step, softer ride, no more blocks? Also curious if the aev wheels are direct bolt on? I seen the 4th gen wheels having problems with those non-removeable center caps and requiring spacers. I just got one of those wheels for spare, but wheel is in CA, I am in CO till June.

Mbrothers

Yes, another 2nd gen. Curious on the alcan leaf setup as it's also my next step, softer ride, no more blocks? Also curious if the aev wheels are direct bolt on? I seen the 4th gen wheels having problems with those non-removeable center caps and requiring spacers. I just got one of those wheels for spare, but wheel is in CA, I am in CO till June.
No modifications required, It does rub on the control arms at full rub, but once i get new control arms that should remedy that.

That is whats great about Alcan, you can tell him exactly what you want and what you're trying to accomplish and he will get it done. I need to confirm that he is tracking on the 2nd gens being side specific though. It will be a softer ride because the leafs will be progressive. So I most likley will build out the truck a bit more and get a better idea of what my final weight is then I will order the leafs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles