2002 Chawton White - A Buildish Thread

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Well I guess now is a better time than ever to do a build thread. Here I will include nearly everything that has really been done to my Disco. Please feel free to post questions regarding different modifications if you'd like.

The day I picked it up, a little over a year ago.
heBtoCY.jpg

p3iT3Yz.jpg

First thing I did, clean the interior/exterior and install new e-brake and t-case boots.
img_2198.jpg

Where to buy

Brakes were next, went with Proline for those.
img_2160.jpg

After installing the Hella 4000s I went for a little wash.
img_3471.jpg

Then installed a Heavy Duty Rovers North rear bumper, RNA196

hdbumpers.jpg

Installed a Grom iPod connection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG7-bQGpda0

It was around then that I went with the ARB Winch Bumper 3432060

1YAwjdL.jpg

Then after a few months of owning it and driving on the tired OME setup, I switched to the Terrafirma HD 2" kit. I also added the Terrafirma steering stabilizer at that time.

img_5360.jpg

tfkit.jpg

After switching to the ARB bumper it was quite clear how ugly the 99-02 headlights were, as well as the glass breaking constantly with rocks. I got the headlights used for a great deal, and the guys at http://www.roverlandparts.com/ were gracious enough to send me 12" of each wiring harnesses for the headlight conversion. After a few nights in the shop I ended up with this.

img_8826.jpg

I was not liking the ride height of the vehicle, so I put 1.75" spacers in the front, and 1.25" spacers on the rear. I also switched to the +3" Terrafirma Prosport shocks.

img_3419.jpg

Then I went ahead and designed a tire cover, which I also made into a shirt.
http://landroverparts.roversnorth.c...=--TIRE-COVER-KEEP-CALM-ROVER-ON-LARGE&key=it

img_4197.jpg

In April I switched from the RNA196 rear HD bumper to a Greg Davis rear bumper, which I can provide contact info if you're interested.

articulation.jpg

It took a while, but I finally got around to installing the PEL500110 Land Rover Genuine 180 degree Thermostat. It wasn't hard, but it hurt!

img_5535.jpg

Somewhat recently I switched to the Terrafirma Adjustable Panhard rod, as well as the Rovers North heavy duty steering rod kit. They are both much stronger and better designed.

flex.jpg

Even more recently I had my watts linkage converted to a panhard rod. This is one of my favorite additions to the vehicle. It has made it much flexier and it articulates much better, all while being the same or better on the road. You can find that kit here: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/PANKIT.html
Select: Axle offset bracket, and Frame Outside Panhard.

0VsmDXV.jpg

The next day I finalized my differential swap. I had new diffs built by Great Basin Rovers, and my front was built by Justin's diff guy at Lucky8. So right now I have a front red diff and rear green diff. They are both built with Ashcroft air lockers and GBR 4.11 gears. I also have the rear GBR double cardon driveshaft with U-joint conversion. I also use the Rovers North Heavy Duty front driveshaft RNA665HD

ILN4SRn.jpg

JM3kM1m.jpg

HExB2Qj.jpg

I have much more stuff than this on the Rover right now... and will add more when I have some time.

Cheers,
Zack

Howski

I've always liked your truck, nice to see it all laid out now. Really like that you axed the Watts linkage. I felt that was really a limiting factor on my old D2

Aegis

K9 Handler
Arguably one of my favorite Rovers, hands down! Love the updated look with the '03-'04 headlights... Definitely a model for what I want to do with one when I finally bite the bullet!! :elkgrin::bowdown:

Aegis

K9 Handler
Hey Zack, did you fab-up the limb risers yourself, or were they part of a kit? Curious as to how they attach to both the rack and the bumper; that is, if any drilling was required.

I know I'm new to the whole off-road deal, but I'm preeeeeetty sure that I'll be needing some, based on how dense things are in the MA/NH/VT/ME areas that we'll be frequenting, lol.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Haha yes.. you will need them. Thank you for noting them, here's that mod!

Limb Risers

The limb risers were purchased from Kurt Watson of Bushcables Uk . Kurt is a great guy and is very helpful, his product is on point.

At this point I already had my ARB bumper and Voyager Off Road safari rack. I purchased a set of our stainless steel limb riser brackets for the ARB bar, and drilled holes to bolt eyelets to the Voyager rack. I had Kurt send me a set that were made to the correct length for the application. I recently switched to the camel trophy style levers for ease of engine bay access.

nntK9Cx.jpg

V8M1nJr.jpg

img_4856-2.jpg

Some Dude

Adventurer
Speaking as a guy with an 03, I would like nothing more than to have the glass headlights that don't leak and won't get sun baked. Grass is always greener I guess.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
True, each has its own benefit. The glass ones cracked a couple times on me and would fill up with water, very annoying! Additionally they were pretty ugly to look at.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
Great looking rig! How do you like the all around manners & capability of the KM2's. I have a set of 5 on order and I'm waiting to have my wheels blasted and coated before they get mounted.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Thank you Curt! I love the Km2s, this is my second, and not last set. 255 85 is the size I love, and they handle offroad, and onroad quite well.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
That's great to hear. I'm really anxious to get them mounted and in the back country. 255/85 is the also the size I have inbound. I bet it's pretty capable as is. Can't wait to see what you have planned for it in the future.

Thank you Curt! I love the Km2s, this is my second, and not last set. 255 85 is the size I love, and they handle offroad, and onroad quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior