2002-2007 f250 V10 options

UHAULER

Explorer
Looking into upgrading my truck. Currently have a well used 03 f150 supercrew 5.4 with 272,000 miles that I bought 4 years ago as a commuter/beater to save wear and tear on my 02 f350 7.3 diesel. I sold the f350 2 years ago and don't want another diesel. I'm now looking around at 02-up f250 supercab, V10. Doing a little research it looks like the v10 up to 04 was a 2 valve with a 4r100 trans. and 05 was 3 valve with 5r110 trans. Does anyone have any firsthand experiance driving both ? Pros and cons ?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
2005+ V10's came with the 5r110 transmission that will absolutely stomp to olde 4r100's into the earth. That's the only real plus for the 3v engine. I prefer the less powerful 2v engine. It still has plenty of guts, without costly cam phasers.

Then again, if you're buying used. It might be a safe bet that either truck will need a timing chain and tensioners. So the 3v is only more risky than the cost of worn out phasers.

It's a wash. The 3v cam phasers cost extra to service, but older trucks with a 4r100 will be due for a transmission rebuild.

Halligan

Adventurer
I had an 08 F-350 V-10 that I purchased new. I kept it for a couple of years and I liked the transmission/engine combo. One thing to consider is the funky spark plug design on the original 3v engine from 2005 to around 2010. The plugs can and usually will break off in the head during removal. Theres a special tool available to assist you when that happens but it's still a pain in the ass job.

ckupq

Observer
When I did my research I never saw where the V-10 ever had cam phasers. The big thing was make sure the spark plugs were done recently and right. If they hadn't been done, just walk away its too much PITA. I ended up passing on a Ford V-10 for a Dodge Gen 3 5.9 cummins so what do I know.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
UHAULER:
I drove a 1999 F-250 with the V-10 (stick shift) for our fire department and owned a 2000 F-250 with the V-10 (automatic). Both motors were pretty decent with the exception of oil usage. The '99 only had 50,000 miles on it when we sold it to the county and my '00 had 136,000 on it. Both used oil so you had to watch them pretty close. They didn't burn it, didn't drip it, just used it somehow. I've seen discussions on the internet about their oil usage so it is something to be aware of. Other than that I really liked the engines and would own another. Never had a problem with the spark plug issue.

glock7018

I had a 08 F250 V10 with 5.13 gears and 37's. Was a nice truck. Plenty of power with the 5.13's . It loved gas though, which shouldn't be a surprise. 3 valve V10's don't have cam phasers which plague the 5.4's. Just keep up on the oil changes and your good. Mine never burned any noticeable amount of oil. 08 to 10 V10's are the best ones to get. Updated interior and solid drive train make them good truck. 08 to 10 also have updated heads to the spark plugs shouldn't break off.

RPhil

Adventurer
2005+ gets you a coil sprung front axle with a superior turning radius and larger brakes than the 1999-2004 as well.

Plugs in the earlier engines can break in if you aren't careful during disassembly. Just soak in penetrating oil and take your time and you will be fine.

Other item to keep an eye out for is the exhaust manifold studs. They will fail over time leading to a noticeable "tick" during operation. I was missing a few studs, the tick would go away after a few minutes once the engine was up to temperature. However, I had all studs replaced with stainless hex head bolts alongside a new gasket. It is not an easy or fun job to do yourself, shop around for someone familiar with the job if you are not confident in your abilities.

Halligan

Adventurer
My 2008 V-10 was an early '08 that I took delivery of in spring of 2007 and it had the poor spark plug design. I'm pretty sure the change to the better plug's happened in '09 or '10. Honestly, I'd look for a 3v V-10 because it's backed by a better transmission. When I ordered my V-10 I went with the 4.30 axle gears which upgraded the front axle to a Dana Super-60 vs the standard D-60.

UHAULER

Explorer
I went and looked at the 04 listed above. It was a little rougher than it appeared in the pics. I really want to hold out for an 05 or newer for the better trans.
08-10 are the best looking IMO

glock7018

I have 2 2v v10, one with 350k miles and one with 220k... f250 Supercab used for plow and field work in brutal Montana weather....run strong all day long..3v are not know to be as reliable.. yes I would rather have an extra tranny gear but the 4r100 are known to be far stronger as well.. which is why the diese used the 4r100.. the 5 speed is a complex tranny and more prone to failure

The 5 speed behind the 3V V10 is the same as behind the 6.0 and 6.4 diesel trucks. The 5r110 is far superior to the old 4r100. the 4r100 can be built into a great tranny, but stock they are slush boxes compared to a 5r110.

CodyY

Explorer
I had a 08 F250 V10 with 5.13 gears and 37's. Was a nice truck. Plenty of power with the 5.13's . It loved gas though, which shouldn't be a surprise. 3 valve V10's don't have cam phasers which plague the 5.4's. Just keep up on the oil changes and your good. Mine never burned any noticeable amount of oil. 08 to 10 V10's are the best ones to get. Updated interior and solid drive train make them good truck. 08 to 10 also have updated heads to the spark plugs shouldn't break off.
And I'm the guy that bought this truck recently. Other than the fuel mileage (which was expected), its great. I've put about 3000 miles on it since May. Including the 1000 mile trip home from PHX to DFW.

No phasers, lotta torque, much quieter than a diesel and the trans is still firm and doesn't heat up when towing. Almost 100k miles on this one and hasn't burned any oil in the time I've had it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

glock7018

And I'm the guy that bought this truck recently. Other than the fuel mileage (which was expected), its great. I've put about 3000 miles on it since May. Including the 1000 mile trip home from PHX to DFW.

No phasers, lotta torque, much quieter than a diesel and the trans is still firm and doesn't heat up when towing. Almost 100k miles on this one and hasn't burned any oil in the time I've had it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Glade you are enjoying the truck. I would be lying if I said I didnt miss it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz