2001 XR200R new owner!!

mykdee

Adventurer
Just picked up this 2001 XR200R, planning to make it street legal! Needed a light weight small bike for the woods! I know it is not some huge KLR650 or 450, but I bet I can keep up with almost anything in tight twisty trails, which is where it will spend most of its life!

Heres what it looked like when I first picked it up last week.

And here it is after the upgrades so far! Upgraded the rear shock to a reservoir, added headlight and tail light, moose handguards and rear tail bag, handle bar risers, rebuilt the carb, and added a new rear tire!

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
That's a great AZ single trac bike. I ride a KTM 200 and when I ride with my buddy's on their 450's they get tired out. You just can't go Baja fast in these parts of AZ so having a small engine lets you get on it a lot more. That's more smiles per mile.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Curious what you are doing to street legal it in AZ
I am in the middle of doing it to my bike up here in Flag...
Have the mirror and headlight...trying to decide on brake light option and horn...

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I gave up jumping thru hoops and paying thru the nose so I run all my bikes except the 950 in the catch me if you can mode. My understanding is that you don't need anything but an AZ title.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
In Arizona, if you already have a title, they don't look at the bike at all. If you don't have a title and are going to have to go through a bonding process, they are only interested in the engine and frame serial numbers. You just sign a paper saying that your bike is one of four designations : off highway use only (never check this box), primarily off highway with limited on highway use, primarily on highway with limited off highway use, and on highway use only. In Arizona a highway is any improved, public road or street.

If you mark off highway only, you actually limit your use to trails. If you are on a county dirt road, you are potentially busted. You will get a plate, but only an OHV decal.

Here is where the game comes in.

Always do this one!! If you mark primarily off highway limited on highway, you will get a plate and two tags. One will be the OHV tag ($29) and a regular on road tag, but you will pay a modified (lower) fee for your road tax portion. So your bike will be legal anywhere motorized travel is permitted in Arizona on two wheels, and can be ridden anywhere in the country on the road. This is the best option, because, let's say you are the type that needs a big BMW or some such nonsense, or even a brand new bike that is expensive. If you go this route, you get off way cheaper than any of the others because of the reduction in the VLT.

If you mark primarily on highway with limited off highway, they go balls deep on you. You pay the normal road tax (VLT), which is a percentage of the vehicle value, plus you pay the other 29 bucks for the off highway tag.

On highway only is self explanatory.

The DMV does no follow up on usage, you could have a Harley and mark primarily off highway and get a sweet discount on yearly dues, you would have to keep the OHV tag current, though or else it defaults to on highway only and you have a higher VLT.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
When I "street legalized" my XR600R, they didn't have all those options. It was either street legal and could get a plate, or not. At the time, the requirements were:

One brake (seriously)
A headlight that can be seen from 100 feet away.
A horn that can be heard from 25 feet away.
A tail light that can be seen from 100 feet away.
An automatically actuated brake light that can be easily differentiated from the tail light from 100 feet away.
One rear view mirror.

That's it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles