2001 WJ

t4rFL

Adventurer
so i put my tires on today didn't need to trim to fit them, but will need to trim to make sharp turns. here is a before and after shot.

t4rFL

Adventurer
Flowmaster 70 series and Magnaflow catalytic convertor....louder than stock, but not too loud. sounds like i have a V8 now.

t4rFL

Adventurer
Lol, no rush. I'm one of the last people on here that should be pushing for a video/update from someone else :)

Nice pics, looks like you had a good trip.

filmed last weekend but just got around to editing it...

t4rFL

Adventurer
i don't know why my fan or whatever it is is so loud, hard to hear the exhaust at idle.

sassy gopher

There are times I miss my 04 freedom wj. It was a damn comfortable vehicle. Very easy to sleep in the back. The iro skid is the best single mod you make to a wj. The 103" a tends to get high centered at least with the skid it's no big deal. Other than bumpers costing a mortgage payment or two they are great vehicles.

t4rFL

Adventurer
as much as i love to camp, i hate them damn mosquitoes and there are a lot in Florida. and they always seem to go after me more than anyone else i'm with. a lot of times i'll just sleep in the back of my Jeep, but most of the year it is very hot/humid even at night. so i wanted to buy some screens for my windows to keep the bugs out and found one company that sells them, but for a pair they are kind of expensive for me. so i went ahead and made my own. i used the idea from an Xterra forum. cost me about $25 in supplies and a few hours plus drying time.

here's what i used:

a roll of Phifer Wire fiberglass screen, weatherstrip adhesive and stick on magnetic strip (1/2" wide)

i took some measurements of my window extending 3/4" past to leave room for the magnet. then i layed the roll of screen on the floor to be cut, using some tape and a ruler to make sure it was straight.

then i taped it up to my window to see where i needed to make some final cutting and where the magnetic strip would be placed. while it was up there i trimmed some corner pieces where it extended past the door, trying to leave .5" between the end of the screen and the window. it was a bit more difficult due to my window reflectors and the fact the windows aren't perfect squares.

next i laid it back down on the floor with the outside of the screen facing up and cut 4 pieces of the magnetic strip for four sides of the screen. i did one strip at a time. peeled it and stuck it to the underside of the screen and then covered the part of the screen that is laying on top of the magnetic strip with the weatherstrip adhesive, and let it dry for maybe 45 minutes until i repeated the process for all four sides. one thing to note the sticky side of the magnet do not hold on it's own so it's important to wait for the adhesive to dry before moving it. here it is all finished on my window:

after it was all done it felt like it wanted to fall apart so i need to take good care of them while being stored. while they were on the jeep though they seem like they'd hold up, the magnets where good. i only go jeep camping maybe one or twice a month, so if they can last only a few months i'd be happy. i just can't spend $45 on the "professional" ones right now. i'm not very good at DIY projects, so others might have a better outcome. here is the link i found the idea from: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9610
and here are the ones for $45/pair (also make front window screens): http://theskeeterbeater.com/

Last edited:

t4rFL

Adventurer
went wheeling with a bunch of 4runners, a wrangler and Xterra. had a great time; i planned the whole route an lead everyone. all in 2wd....swapping in the vari-lok was one of the best things i did. but many times had to be pulled out, too.

we started on the east side of the river and took a ferry across into the woods.
DSC_2287 by M.Akins, on Flickr
DSC_2276 by M.Akins, on Flickr
DSC_2294 by M.Akins, on Flickr
10170894_436516779817414_2351836057481581663_n by M.Akins, on Flickr
DSC_2334 by M.Akins, on Flickr
10313794_10152470730556042_7926117841787055664_n by M.Akins, on Flickr
10320489_751303184902813_1390066436582634992_n by M.Akins, on Flickr
DSC_2374 by M.Akins, on Flickr

there's more on my Flickr page

video i made..

Last edited:

Forum statistics