2001 Tiger Provan 4x4 Hard Top - $30000 (Fort Collins, CO)

flounder

Hello,
I am looking for advice/info on the Tigers? I had been considering a camper van with quigley before discovering these rigs. One came up on Craigslist today and I e-mailed seller within a couple hours but when I went back to look at the add it had been flagged by Craigslist. The seller did, however get back with info. Now I am concerned due to the flagged add. Also, price is pretty low compared to this one at $9k (but also about the Nada value). This seems like a great rig to get out in the boonies with 4WD and pretty good tow capability (this is my main concern with the Transit vans I have been considering due to a 4500lb tow capacity which is more than I normally tow but I would likely be in the 3-4k lb so worried about towing longer distances with the transit). Plus, the transit with quigley is more like $90k. Any info/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Hello,
I am looking for advice/info on the Tigers? I had been considering a camper van with quigley before discovering these rigs. One came up on Craigslist today and I e-mailed seller within a couple hours but when I went back to look at the add it had been flagged by Craigslist. The seller did, however get back with info. Now I am concerned due to the flagged add. Also, price is pretty low compared to this one at $9k (but also about the Nada value). This seems like a great rig to get out in the boonies with 4WD and pretty good tow capability (this is my main concern with the Transit vans I have been considering due to a 4500lb tow capacity which is more than I normally tow but I would likely be in the 3-4k lb so worried about towing longer distances with the transit). Plus, the transit with quigley is more like $90k. Any info/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

NADA isn’t even close to what these sell for. These rigs are great but not cheap. Any camper van in decent shape especially with 4x4 will be well over 30k used. I am big fan of Tigers but a less expensive option, which I have, is a used Chinook Concourse. 2wd drive will be in 20’s and 4wd will be 40’s and up. 2wd with limited limited slip diff and good tires with lift are pretty capable. Due to size and weight you need to ask yourself if you really will use 4wd.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Hello,

Tigers are great rigs, but they do have their limits. They are typically built on truck frames, but they are heavy so you do have to watch your weight limits. Most of the older ones are 3 season and aren't very well insulated for winter camping. They have limited storage for both gear and systems upgrades like generators, batteries, etc. but, the pros are they are built on US trucks that are heavily supported by the auto parts and after market industries so you can do almost anything to them to improve their off-roaming performance.
There is a membership only Tiger group forum that is well supported and can answer a lot of your questions and here's my build on our 95 Tiger. Good luck!

flounder

Thanks for the replies. I believe that this deal is a scam (surprise surprise). I got my hopes up a bit when I first saw the add but I feel certain it was a scam so I blocked the scammer from e-mail and will move on. I still like the idea of 4x4 so not sure what I will do. Initial plan for me is a few months to a year traveling upon my transition from military to civilian life next year. Will be a good time for me to take the extended time for such a trip. Maybe I will end up with a Transit but when the trip is over will want the tow capacity for an enclosed trailer with a couple bikes in it for moto camping. 4500# seems to be enough but I may be very close to that limit at times and still haven't found much from others experience on long term towing with a Quigley Transit.

Turok

I will agree with 68 Camaro on this. I have no experience with the Tigers however I have heard nothing but good things about them. Last spring we purchased a 2000 Chinook Baja 4x4 with 46K on the Triton V-10 and continue to be amazed at how well it is built and the attention to detail inside and out. In my opinion it is perfect for 2 people. We have used it in 4x4 high and low range enough to know that although it is not a serious "off road" vehicle, it is capable. It is a Quigley Conversion with a Dana 60 front axle and coil/shock king pin set-up in front. We have put nearly 10 K on it since purchase and could not be more pleased (unless it got better mileage.) Cheers and good luck.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I will agree with 68 Camaro on this. I have no experience with the Tigers however I have heard nothing but good things about them. Last spring we purchased a 2000 Chinook Baja 4x4 with 46K on the Triton V-10 and continue to be amazed at how well it is built and the attention to detail inside and out. In my opinion it is perfect for 2 people. We have used it in 4x4 high and low range enough to know that although it is not a serious "off road" vehicle, it is capable. It is a Quigley Conversion with a Dana 60 front axle and coil/shock king pin set-up in front. We have put nearly 10 K on it since purchase and could not be more pleased (unless it got better mileage.) Cheers and good luck.

Chinook Baja! .........Two thumbs up! .......talk about unobtanium

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles