2001 R50 Pathfinder Build-up.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Bad Times in the Neighborhood

Well the pathfinder finally left me out to dry.

The Pathfinder drove to work fine, on the way home I stopped at the Eye Center. When I turned it on to go home it seemed lower rpm on ignition crank but then ran fine...

On the last turn getting into my road I had slowed down to turn and hit a low rpm (around 850) all of the sudden the engine dies! Put it in Neutral and stopped. Tried to start it back up and it turns over just fine, fully fires up and then dies right away. If I fire it up and then keep the rpms up with the accelerator it will stay on but it sounds different (hard to explain how but it does)... As soon as I hit low rpm it dies immediately.

After some searching for an answer a lot of people are saying the IACV (idle air control valve) is probably out. So a code read later and found P0100 (among a load other EVAP system stuff P1444, P1446, P0450) which was just mass airflow circuit malfunction. So I ordered a new MAF sensor and a new IACV. Maybe by circuit they mean the wire running to the MAF sensor is bad? Unplugging the MAF doesn't change anything so Im thinking that is not the cause, but I sprayed MAF cleaner through the sensor and it started up and held a really low idle. Turned it off and after re-firing it up, wouldn't idle again. So I'm replacing the MAF just in case.

Here is the interesting part, at the auto store an associate was helping me troubleshoot it, and he lifted up the canister that sites just interior of the air box (so the air intake assembly also lifted slightly) and when I fired it up with him holding it up slightly it held an idle just fine. Not sure if that means he moved a vacuum hose enough to close a seal or what. Hopefully the two parts fixes the issue and him lifting the assembly was just messing with the IACV (it sits directly underneath it) enough to make it run fine.

I sure hope it works, I really cant be without the pathfinder for too long.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Well the pathfinder finally left me out to dry.

The Pathfinder drove to work fine, on the way home I stopped at the Eye Center. When I turned it on to go home it seemed lower rpm on ignition crank but then ran fine...

On the last turn getting into my road I had slowed down to turn and hit a low rpm (around 850) all of the sudden the engine dies! Put it in Neutral and stopped. Tried to start it back up and it turns over just fine, fully fires up and then dies right away. If I fire it up and then keep the rpms up with the accelerator it will stay on but it sounds different (hard to explain how but it does)... As soon as I hit low rpm it dies immediately.

After some searching for an answer a lot of people are saying the IACV (idle air control valve) is probably out. So a code read later and found P0100 (among a load other EVAP system stuff P1444, P1446, P0450) which was just mass airflow circuit malfunction. So I ordered a new MAF sensor and a new IACV. Maybe by circuit they mean the wire running to the MAF sensor is bad? Unplugging the MAF doesn't change anything so Im thinking that is not the cause, but I sprayed MAF cleaner through the sensor and it started up and held a really low idle. Turned it off and after re-firing it up, wouldn't idle again. So I'm replacing the MAF just in case.

Here is the interesting part, at the auto store an associate was helping me troubleshoot it, and he lifted up the canister that sites just interior of the air box (so the air intake assembly also lifted slightly) and when I fired it up with him holding it up slightly it held an idle just fine. Not sure if that means he moved a vacuum hose enough to close a seal or what. Hopefully the two parts fixes the issue and him lifting the assembly was just messing with the IACV (it sits directly underneath it) enough to make it run fine.

I sure hope it works, I really cant be without the pathfinder for too long.

Damn buddy sorry to hear the troubles!

I know what it's like having a vehicle fail like that. Hope you get it all fixed up soon.

Oh, and in other news, don't worry about making out to OX and GONE this year. Looks like I'm not going either.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Damn buddy sorry to hear the troubles!

I know what it's like having a vehicle fail like that. Hope you get it all fixed up soon.

Oh, and in other news, don't worry about making out to OX and GONE this year. Looks like I'm not going either.

Yeah I don't get it. To fault like that in the middle of driving makes me think electrical but who knows...
Oh really?? That is a bummer! Hopefully whatever cancelled your plans wasn't bad. My 4 day off ends on the 15th (12-15 off) so It would make no sense to even go out for the day. Fortunately after a year with the company, I get a big increase to
vacation time so Ill be clearing that all up.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Yeah I don't get it. To fault like that in the middle of driving makes me think electrical but who knows...
Oh really?? That is a bummer! Hopefully whatever cancelled your plans wasn't bad. My 4 day off ends on the 15th (12-15 off) so It would make no sense to even go out for the day. Fortunately after a year with the company, I get a big increase to
vacation time so Ill be clearing that all up.

Yeah sounds like an electrical thing to me. I can't think of anything else that would just kill it. Hopefully what you're getting will have it cleared up. With the codes you're pulling from it, I think you're on the right track.

Yep, we ran the numbers and it comes down to the fact that the truck just isn't ready for it. It's not armored enough to be where I want it, and to get it there would cost so much cash that I'd have nothing left to make the actual trip. Instead we're doing a few other different trips around the state and one up to Canada. So it will still be a fun time.

marty1977

Adventurer
Mine did the sort of the same thing, one day i pulled to the store and when I came out it would not idle, i would have to press the gas pedal and keep the rpm up for it not to die. I did adjust the throttle cable to make it idle but now after about one year it will still not idle by itself. Now in winter time i have to sit for around 5 min in the truck and warm it up till will idle by itself with my throttle cable adjustment and it worked fine in the summer time. What I did so far I have replaced MAF sensor and new IACV and I had no luck, after the I replaced the whole throttle body from another QX4 that I got from a guy that was parting his truck out and the MAF sensor also from him and the truck would still not idle properly. My codes wore different tho I had the P0505 for IACV (if I remember correctly) and you are getting EVAP codes so it could be leak some ware that is allowing the air in some ware between the air filter box and throttle body (just guessing here). If replacing the MAF and IACV dose not help maybe do the EVAP smoke test to see if you have any leaks, I found a video on youtube how to make home made EVAP machine out of an old coffee can and it worked awesome. If you have any questions fire up.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Mine did the sort of the same thing, one day i pulled to the store and when I came out it would not idle, i would have to press the gas pedal and keep the rpm up for it not to die. I did adjust the throttle cable to make it idle but now after about one year it will still not idle by itself. Now in winter time i have to sit for around 5 min in the truck and warm it up till will idle by itself with my throttle cable adjustment and it worked fine in the summer time. What I did so far I have replaced MAF sensor and new IACV and I had no luck, after the I replaced the whole throttle body from another QX4 that I got from a guy that was parting his truck out and the MAF sensor also from him and the truck would still not idle properly. My codes wore different tho I had the P0505 for IACV (if I remember correctly) and you are getting EVAP codes so it could be leak some ware that is allowing the air in some ware between the air filter box and throttle body (just guessing here). If replacing the MAF and IACV dose not help maybe do the EVAP smoke test to see if you have any leaks, I found a video on youtube how to make home made EVAP machine out of an old coffee can and it worked awesome. If you have any questions fire up.

Good stuff there friend! The evap system is getting cleaned out today. I wont be replacing anything yet... Just cleaning/purging the lines.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Your pathfinder looks great. I saw you cruising ridge road earlier today. Nicely done

Did you have the Xterra pulling the trailer? I was trying to get a better look but I waved a little late. Thanks for the compliment! I haven't updated this tread in a while and some changes have been made that I need to reflect but I will just wait until Im off work.

Welcome to ExPo! I don't stay as active here as I used to since I joined quite a few Facebook pages but I always come here to read. If you ever want to go on a trail run or something let me know.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Needed Updates

Okay guys Ill add photos tomorrow but I thought I should add some of the updated info for my build.
'
I added bars to my front bumper so It will better protect my headlights (Also admittedly was looking at adding the bars that connects to the sliders like they do down under :) )
Added a Uniden Pro 520XL CB Radio and got it tuned up at a beautiful 1.0 SWR on both high and low ranges.
Have a line-up on new Ultra Phantom wheels with the backspacing to allow me to run 255/85R16 Cooper STT Maxx tires.
Went on a maintenance spree and I have nearly caught up to all the scheduled maintenance that I should have done for the miles on this vehicle.
Snorkel from 4x4parts will be purchased on the 5th of april.
Got my awning from ARB mounted up.
Getting a 1991 S10 truck bed to start the trailer build since I already have the axle in the garage.
Not sure if I have mentioned this before but once the Warn hubs studs broke I changed them out for grade 12 bolts that are loctited in place. These are regular hex bolts and look much more substantial. Hopefully they don't leave me stranded.
Bought a 48" Hi-Lift jack plus the lift mate and handle keeper accessories. I will be buying the mounting pieces for it on Tuesday to secure it to my roof-rack.
'
That should catch me up to where I am. If anyone knows of 5" or 7" round LED off-road lights please let me know. The HID lights I have now are not working with my eyes and the warm up time is annoying.
'
Cheers All!

Chappie752

Haha yep I had the trailer. I'm not as active on here as I should be either. I usually end up just checking out other peoples rigs and not posting a lot. I'm pretty new to upgrading 4 wheel drive vehicles so I keep my mouth shut to avoid sounding like a fool lol

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Long Overdue Updates!

It has been a while!!
'
So the vehicle is starting to look more like what I had originally pictured it in my head which is good. Gas mileage has suffered but I am happy, which I think is the most important piece right? I have a couple pictures I will upload and I can give a small description with each. I have been more active on the few Pathfinder facebook pages then I have with this site but it has come time for an update.
'
IMG_1990.JPG
This is the way I have attached my Hi-Lift jack. I went a long time without getting one because I have not seen the practicality of them and frankly I had no good way to attach it. (IMO I still dont. Secure yes, ideal no.) Anyways I bit the bullet and bought one with the Neoprene cover (since I believe it wont be used all that often), the handle keeper which honestly is great. It keeps all the rattling down. Then I bought the lift mate attachment for it as well to be able to lift a tire from the wheel if all I need to do is stack up rocks or something. I used the jack the other day to install my next update...
'
IMG_1995.JPG
Shocks! These are Bilstein 5100 series shocks. I loved how the 5165's looked underneath but always worried because of how skinny the shock stem was. Another thing was the shocks were clunking extremely bad. As I unbolted the pair and went to pop the top side out of the little nook it stays in (which should be hard to do since the shock is holding pressure on it), the darn thing just fell right out. This tells me either the shock was at max extension and just barely fit in the vehicle (severely limiting down travel) or the shock has seized up and wont extend. Part of me feels it is the first likely case since the rear end no longer clunks driving down bumpy roads. Anyways I got the new 5100's installed and went to test the flex in a washout near my drive way. I am now able to completely compress the wheel to the point the bumpstop hits the coil seat and the other side extends far enough to allow that. That is easily 4" more compression than I was ever able to achieve before. So this was a very happy purchase for me. Next up, Safety item!
'
IMG_1991.JPG
I know this doesnt look like safety but after viewing a couple videos of winch lines snapping and creating massive damage to a vehicle or land I decided to upgrade to a synthetic rope. This is from Viking I believe (Amazon said viking but nowhere in the packaging did it say that) Anyways the rope was much easier to handle, wont kink up, wont create a nasty rusty bird's nest on the drum, and more importantly... If it breaks, the rope carries no torque and will just fall straight to the ground. My last cable had so many kinks in it and frays from even slight side pulls that It hardly even fit on the drum. This is a pretty slick set-up IMO. It dropped some weight too which is also a bonus.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Continued!

IMG_1993.JPG
Next up was a LOT of preventative maintenance. I didnt feel like taking a ton of pictures of it so I'll just explain. First off, I added new lower control arms, ball joints, and CV axles. That is what is pictured here. Then I replaced all spark plugs and ignition coils. Then I had the engine re-tuned by the dealership. I replaced the drum brakes. Next week I will be having the AC system completely fixed (I charged it last summer and by NOV it was completely ambient temp).
'
IMG_1994.JPG
Some fun stuff now, as you can see this is the ARB awning. The mounting I did for it makes me feel really smart and Ill go grab a picture of it tomorrow but it works flawlessly. This is the shorter version, but like all ARB stuff I have, it is top shelf quality.
'
IMG_1992.JPG
This picture was really meant to show the CB antenna but it also shows the light hoops I added. Anyways the CB is the simple Uniden 520XLpro or something like that. A good family friend is a professional radio guru and he helped me connect and tune it. That sucker can straight reach! I was shocked at the distance I still had clear reception since it is added in the weirdest place. The light hoops I added were just so the turn signal housings could quit getting scratched to high hell on the trails. The Evergreen trees we have here were not friendly to them at all. Anyways I actually really like them. They give the pathfinder a much more aggressive look.
'
IMG_1989.JPG
Well that is all folks! The snorkel from 4x4parts will be ordered as soon as my next paycheck comes in and hopefully installed shortly thereafter. Also, when these tires wear out I will be going to 255/85R16 Cooper ST Maxx with the same plain looking wheels. I wish I could find a 16" wheel with 3.75" backspacing that looked decent but all the choices seem to be reserved for 15" wheels and I dont feel like going that direction.
'
'
Thanks for stopping by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles