2001 Pathfinder SE 3.5

Allof75

Pathfinder
Should be at least four per side, haven't been under and R50, But follow the arms that attach the running boards to the subframe. There should be a plate at the end. Any bolts going through that plate will need to come off.

Correct on following the bolts.

So I put JB blaster on the rusted nuts and I'm letting it sit overnight. Quick question, which bolts is it I should be undoing to take the stepboards off? There are several that seem like they'd release the boards but I just want to be sure so I don't end up making more work for myself.

IIRC, I think there were 6 total, as there's 2 bolts per support, and 3 supports for each rail. Also, they're pretty light, but remember to support them equally, as they'll bonk you in the head if you're not careful. :sombrero:

Nichxestes

Correct on following the bolts.

IIRC, I think there were 6 total, as there's 2 bolts per support, and 3 supports for each rail. Also, they're pretty light, but remember to support them equally, as they'll bonk you in the head if you're not careful. :sombrero:
Thanks for the heads up haha. Don't want one of those rusty things givin me one to the noggin

richard310

pew pew
Please leave the sway bars on, there's absolutely no need to remove them. Removal should be considered as one of the last bit of modifications if at all and only after installing stiffer springs to balance out at least some of the body roll - especially as a newer driver. Removing them will compromise the on-road handling particularly with the stock springs. I keep thinking about putting mine back on so it doesn't feel like a uhaul truck onroad.

The rest of the plan looks good though i.e. get the truck to be mechanically sound first then save up the pennies for the usual mods: a tire upgrade, armor, a suspension lift :26_7_2:

Welcome to the forum! :)

I second the sway bars. HIGHLY recommend leaving them on there. They are there for a reason, especially for a newer driver. Anti Sway/Roll Bars basically reduce the amount of body roll on a turning vehicle. It mainly assists the suspension assembly as a torsion bar between the two wheels to keep the vehicle level on turns which in turn keeps the tires in contact with the road, which improves grip. In a small truck, you'll be happy it's there. Learn the vehicle's behavior on and off road before considering taking things off. Added articulation is nice, but if this is a DD, you'll thank the engineers that put them there in the first place, even with mildly modified suspension. A stock vehicle can do wonders even with its limitations. Modifying certain aspects of a vehicle can completely ruin the driving dynamics or improve it. It's all up to you and what you decide to do with it. Happy modding!

SD_Rider

Jeff
I removed my rear sway bar when I installed the SFD.
I don't notice much sway, but the 33x12.5s also gave me quite a bit wider footprint.

Leave the front sway bar on...with the strut front end, you're not going to get much articulation anyway. I've considered a quick disconnect system, but I have a list of to-dos before I tackle that project.

I also left my steps on. I don't feel like having sliders made just yet. I haven't done much but rub them....when I get a full skidplate set that may change...we'll see. *note* I'm also quite higher than stock.... ;)

As others said, join NPORA Forums Download the service manual. Read and learn what others have done...then find what direction suits your wants/needs. Have fun!

Nichxestes

So the squealing I mentioned (also made a thread previously about it) has gotten much worse and on my way to school it wouldn't stop squealing and would intensify when I accelerated and it smelled like something was burning. Had to turn around and drive my dad's car to school. Someone mentioned it was the serpentine belt earlier. Is there a reason it would intensify and is it something I can easily fix on my own or should I take it somewhere?

mortonm

Expedition Leader
So the squealing I mentioned (also made a thread previously about it) has gotten much worse and on my way to school it wouldn't stop squealing and would intensify when I accelerated and it smelled like something was burning. Had to turn around and drive my dad's car to school. Someone mentioned it was the serpentine belt earlier. Is there a reason it would intensify and is it something I can easily fix on my own or should I take it somewhere?

If the belt was getting more deteriorated then the noise fequency and volume would intensify. Sounds like you should get it replaced ASAP.

Its not particularily difficult. Where do you live? Its not something I'd want to learn for the first time in a driveway in freezing temperatures.

Nichxestes

I live in Indianapolis. It's about 10 degrees outside right now. So it'd be best if I get it to a shop and taken care of and next time it wears down hopefully it'll be warm out and I can learn?

Allof75

Pathfinder
I live in Indianapolis. It's about 10 degrees outside right now. So it'd be best if I get it to a shop and taken care of and next time it wears down hopefully it'll be warm out and I can learn?

This. Fix it now, it's more than likely the serpentine belt and you definitely don't want to throw one of those.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
This. Fix it now, it's more than likely the serpentine belt and you definitely don't want to throw one of those.

x2! haha yes let that little belt break and things do downhill in a hurry. that thing will overheat FAST.

I also second the people saying leave the sway bars on. I have stiffer suspension, no sway bars. Its not like it just falls on its side but the first drive sure was sketchy... anyways I haven't noticed some big crazy difference with them off.. Especially in the front. Front flex is a joke with the struts up front anyways so just leave them on.

As for the ideas you have about doing.. All sounds good. Wreckdiver mentioned finding out what the pathfinder is and is not capable of doing is a big thing and I agree. I went and started doing modifications before I actually knew what I needed/wanted. I could have saved some major cash if could ever redo that chapter.

-As for fog lights.. Allof75 has Rigid lights and they are bright I hear. With the pics it looks like he has one led per housing (correct me if im wrong) whereas on mine I have 4 per housing. Mine are in a flood pattern which is not ideal for a fog light so stick with a wide beam or spot pattern for fogs. Either way these little dually's are just incredible. I love mine.

Allof75

Pathfinder
-As for fog lights.. Allof75 has Rigid lights and they are bright I hear. With the pics it looks like he has one led per housing (correct me if im wrong) whereas on mine I have 4 per housing. Mine are in a flood pattern which is not ideal for a fog light so stick with a wide beam or spot pattern for fogs. Either way these little dually's are just incredible. I love mine.

I do have them and they are spectacularly bright!

You are partially correct Weekender, but my Chinese fogs are the single LED units. The Rigids I have, which are the Duallys in spot pattern have 4 LEDs, but different lenses than your fogs. Highly reccommend, and an easy mod to complete. (Though my custom wiring setup was not)

Keep the questions coming!

Nichxestes

Got it in the shop for the belt this morning. So hopefully I'll be getting it back tomorrow? Once I get it back those step boards are com in' off then hopefully I'll be taking it to the body shop to fix the bumper before the new year. While it's getting the belt replaced they're gonna go ahead and check on all the fluids, change the oil, etc. hopefully it'll be running a lot better when I get it back!

SD_Rider

Jeff
What I did for the rear, is disconnect it from the top 2 retainers....left it hang for a while. It will clank when you go over bumps. After about a month and I decided that with my driving style it was safe and not excessive body roll, I pulled it and tossed it.

I've done some nice (medium to hard) offroading with the front swaybar on and haven't noticed a need to remove it. YMMV.

Nichxestes

Got it back earlier than expected. Belt just needed to be tightened and I got the oil and such changed. I'll have some spare time tomorrow so ill take the step boards off, wash it, and finally post some pictures

SD_Rider

Jeff
Got it back earlier than expected. Belt just needed to be tightened and I got the oil and such changed. I'll have some spare time tomorrow so ill take the step boards off, wash it, and finally post some pictures

Good! I'm sure that was better in the budget, however unless it was new, I'd have replaced it. ;)

Are you going to add rock sliders? My steps help my kiddos in and out and provide nice steps when getting up to the roof rack. I've never even scraped mine yet. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles