2001 Mitsubishi FG637

Nath

G'day nath I've got a similar truck to yours I just got back from 3 months away and considering a turbo also l live on the Mornington peninsula if you have any luck with the turbo we might be able to a good deal if we get 2 I've got a few photos on my profile Daz b if you have any questions shoot me message and I'll give you a call cheers Darren

G'day Daz,

good looking set up you have and 3 months away you lucky bugga. Im still looking at the options cost and practicality but will certainly be in touch if its viable.
whats your navigation set up in your cab?

cheers
Nath

Nath

FYI managed to find xzl from Michelin but must provide name, occupation, truck rego, make and model due to they are brought into the country for the Australian military...

cheers

Amesz00

Adventurer
Yea I got the same story. Apparently they’re an “embargoed item” due to military use. Them damn dangerous assault tyres... dunno if the govt thinks we’re sending them to Isis or some rubbish.

Daz b

Hi nath I use a iPad with hema mapping I've used it for years does the job fine.if your looking at tyre I put a set of nitto trail grabbers 315/75/16 on Alan's alloy rims before I left done close to 20k on heaps of corrigations and sand towing the boat they handled the trip great on chipping or wear on the sand 20 psi with camper and boat no dramas 25/30 for corrigations,55/50 for road use.the truck loaded is around 5500 kg and the boat is around 800 kg loaded good luck with the build who is doing the camper for you cheers Daz

Nath

Hi nath I use a iPad with hema mapping I've used it for years does the job fine.if your looking at tyre I put a set of nitto trail grabbers 315/75/16 on Alan's alloy rims before I left done close to 20k on heaps of corrigations and sand towing the boat they handled the trip great on chipping or wear on the sand 20 psi with camper and boat no dramas 25/30 for corrigations,55/50 for road use.the truck loaded is around 5500 kg and the boat is around 800 kg loaded good luck with the build who is doing the camper for you cheers Daz

No limit caravans in Gisbourne

Nath

Michelin xzl 255/100r16 tyre

FINALLY have finished with the electrics (only to stick a screw through a plug to short out engine brake :ugh: )

i have run out of time to enquire about a turbo this year but will look into it next.

Question for now is the current Michelin xzl 255/100r16 tyres have tubes in them.... is this so it can run low pressures with out popping a bead?
and what pressures can they run with nothing on board? i did do a search but did not find any answers.

cheers
Nath

Aussie Iron

Explorer
NO -- tubes in tyres mean that you CAN NOT lower your pressure too much as it will end up screwing the tube round in the tyre and breaking of the valve stem off. They need to be run tubless to go to low pressure.

The pressure to run in them has to be worked out there is no one pressure that suits all. Honestly where to start. Now if someone comes in with something better I would follow what they say.
Me, I'd start out about 40Psi and see what they look like in the side wall (you want the side wall to stand). Drive some (stop) check temp with hand on tyre tread and side wall. Should be roughly same temp and not so you burn your hand. Use a IR temp prob if you have it. Adjust tyre pressure till you find what you can run at. Usually higher pressure - lower temperature, slower speed - lower temperature.

Temperature is the killer of tyres. Now I've been known to be wrong but I believe I remember reading some where that 70°C is destruction temp for a tyre. I like to see mine around +/- 50°C. On a hot day I've seen my Goodrides at 62°C (running on the highway) and then it was time to stop and find some shade and have an afternoon nap.

Dan.

Last edited:

Nath

No tubes in tyres mean that you CAN NOT lower your pressure too much as it will end up screwing the tube round in the tyre and breaking of the valve stem off. They need to be run tubless to go to low pressure.

Any idea why they were running them with tubes being a tubeless tyre?

Amesz00

Adventurer
They're probably split rims, basically all those style are, as they're usually modified oem rims. XZLs are tubeless or TT, doesn't matter either way.
I think I was running them at 45-50 when I had them, truck ~4.5t. 20-22 is a pretty good sand pressure, you can go lower but not sure I'd go much under 16-17, unless it's an emergency.
As Dan said you won't lose a bead but the rim can turn in the tyre ripping off the valve stem.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier