2001 Jeep Cherokee - Budget/Quality Weekend Overlander

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Hello from Virginia!

Hey guys, my name is Ryan and I own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited with the 4.0L I6 that has over 263,000 miles. Ya I know right?!? I actually just today bought a '98 Honda civic to drive back and forth to work (100 mile round trip) so I can finally get the Jeep back to where it needs to be. So, I just bought my first home recently so funds will be tight for this build. A little bit about the Jeep; it's has a bunch of miles on it, 2 inch budget boost up front and 3 inch blocks in the rear with saggy leaf springs (one of which, the driver side bottom leaf is cracked in two places). It's a limited which means it has leather heated seats(only the passenger side works). The A/C does not work and its got some rust issues along the bottom rail on the driver side and passenger side door bottom. Here are my plans:

-Full preventative maintenance to get it back up in running in proper shape.
-3" lift kit to include full rear leaf springs (mainly to replace mot of my worn/broken OEM suspension components.)
-Get the same tire I have now, just in a 31/32" size; while most of my time will be spent driving to awesome outdoor adventures and not a whole lot of time spent doing technical trails these will be the best tires for me. I currently have a 30" tire on my stock ICON's (BFG Rugged terrain and I absolutely love these tires)
-Recovery Points; I have a d shackle in the hitch in the rear, just no front recovery points.
-Storage solutions; Roof rack, rear compartment rack, rear mount tire carrier w/ rotopacks???
-CB; already have the actual readio, need mount and antenna for rear (most likely on the side/above my driver side taillight)
-Fill it with my girl/dog/gear and get out there and enjoy what I have.

Keep in my this will be an excruciatingly slow build. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy!

Attachments

• 20141021_142406.jpg
    20141021_142406.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 160
  • jeep with rack.jpg
    jeep with rack.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 130
  • jeep camping.jpg
    jeep camping.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 20141021_142623.jpg
    20141021_142623.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20141021_144735.jpg
    20141021_144735.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 130

Stumper92

Nice XJ! I live about an hour from you out in Smithfield. I have a 90 and a 94 XJ. Looking forward to watching your build

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Nice, I recently just got back from Shoe Creek out near Crabtree Falls the first weekend in October. You really underestimate the ability of the cherokee when you get some place and your like how the hell am I going to get back up that!

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Nice XJ!! I'm actually thinking of selling my JKU and buying an XJ and doing a small build. I'm looking for the lowest mileage one I can findin Dallas.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
It's hard to find low milage Xj's and if you do, they are usually all torn up OR they are asking way to much for them.

Has anyone heard or used any of Crown automotive prodcuts? I'm looking at their heavy duty steering setup along with their front brake set.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
It's hard to find low milage Xj's and if you do, they are usually all torn up OR they are asking way to much for them.

Has anyone heard or used any of Crown automotive prodcuts? I'm looking at their heavy duty steering setup along with their front brake set.

Nice XJ.
I have a 2000 and it used to look a lot like yours...except red. I have some Crown Automotive stuff on my XJ, like their heavy duty stainless brake line kit for lifted Jeeps. It is actually pretty nice, and I would buy from them again. I have seen their steering setup and it looks like it is all upgraded and up-rated over stock. Easy bolt in too. If you are looking for a stock replacement, might not be a bad route to go if the price is right. If you are only go to lift it 3" you can get away without an adjustable track bar as your front axle will only be out by about 1/4 of an inch side to side...and that is fine. If you were planning on going taller I would suggest looking into other companies offerings, like IRO or RE and buy it all at once.

Good luck with your build!

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Thanks for the response about crown, i was reading over on jeep forum that some people have had issues with their products. Speaking of prodcuts anybody used Alloy's ball joints or should i stick with a known company like Moog or MOPAR? Thanks. I finally got something to add to the jeep that makes it ten times more capable.

expoportal.jpg

Lurch

Look at the Currie steering for if you're looking to keep the stock style inverted y, or if you're on a budget just get a tie rod off a V8 ZJ and replace the hollow OE unit.

For balljoints look at Spicer or Synergy.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The currie stuff is probably the best out there. Didn't mention it as it is $$.

Moog makes good stuff, OEM is pretty good as well.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
I understand Currie is top notch stuff but as you said it is quite pricey and for what Ill be doing with the jeep I cant see spending close to 500 bucks to replace something that isnt really broken.. I may stick with the ZJ upgrade kit. Anyone know a how-to link off hand?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles