2001 F350 4x4 7.3L Powerstoke Diesel all-purpose build

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
I have been working on some tools for the truck recently, for my senior project and BS in Manufacturing Engineering. I graduate in 2 weeks!
Oil filter cap wrench: I 3-d printed the prototype out of abs and I will be milling one out of 6061 as well. Designed on Solidworks and g-code generated on HSMworks.
I am also manufacturing a PTO port plate. It will have a temp sender in it and a viewing port like what is used on the aluminum mag hytec diff covers.
I have all the vise jaws and tooling fixtures done for that, will cut PTO plates tuesday hopefully. Designed on solidworks and g code on HSMworks.
Im not selling these, they were just a personal project for school that addresses some ideas I have had with the truck.
cut teeth tool path.JPGScreen Shot 2017-05-07 at 3.48.25 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-05-07 at 3.48.07 PM.jpg

20170216_200144_zpsocoxaqyu by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20170216_200151_zps9mw8mbcb by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20170216_200158_zpsbmwroais by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20170413_141809_zpsxnaxuzj4 by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20170413_143356_zpsyul9qlmm by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

Last edited:

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
07 HD Headlight Swap

Yes they are much brighter. I had to cut out a larger diameter in the header panel directly behind the lights, to accommodate the deeper headlight housing. Once the lights are in you cant even tell the panel was cut.

photo3_zps254ef94a_LI.jpg

After you cut this piece out, is this what you modified and put back in?

photo14_zps7c498d64_LI.jpg

If you just removed the old section, where do you mount the 07 assembly to?

And my final question, do you have a recommended source for the 07 HD headlights or is a Google search the way you went?

I hear you on the savings jar. What I have in the works with flatbed, storage boxes, on-board air, tires and wheels, lights, control switches, camper and expected rear suspension upgrades needed based on the final load weight (TBD); the jar has a bit of a vacuum right now. The leaf sprung front will be there for a while longer.:Wow1:

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
yes the upper pic shows the piece that is discarded

In the lower pic you can see 2 stock u-nut clips in the lower flange of the header panel. You re use those clips and the original screws that came out.
As seen in the pic I attached, 2 new U-nut clips come with the headlight kit. Those are installed in the upper flange of the header panel using two existing holes in the upper header panel.

Capture.JPG

As for lights, i went with an eagle eye kit off ebay, the harnesses and hardware were great but the light would have leaked without silicon sealant. Also the invisible protective film that protects the lens from oxidation is flaking off already.

I would get OEM ford lights from riff raff if possible they are much better quality and worth it, if you plan to keep the truck for a long time.

RPhil

Adventurer
yes the upper pic shows the piece that is discarded

In the lower pic you can see 2 stock u-nut clips in the lower flange of the header panel. You re use those clips and the original screws that came out.
As seen in the pic I attached, 2 new U-nut clips come with the headlight kit. Those are installed in the upper flange of the header panel using two existing holes in the upper header panel.

View attachment 400867

As for lights, i went with an eagle eye kit off ebay, the harnesses and hardware were great but the light would have leaked without silicon sealant. Also the invisible protective film that protects the lens from oxidation is flaking off already.

I would get OEM ford lights from riff raff if possible they are much better quality and worth it, if you plan to keep the truck for a long time.

I have the eagle eyes and wish I would have known to seal them before installation. Mine showed condensation after the first rain they encountered. I will be sealing them up well when I get a chance. For the cost savings compared to OEM, I'm not complaining.

darkjedi351

Observer
any updates on your build? how are the coilovers working for you, have the springs settled yet? how much do the knob adjustments change the ride of the coilover? I regret not getting those, maybe when/if I get them rebuilt i'll add them.

I've been busy since the rain ended. I added a dual battery kit with an isolator(gas truck) a spod, arb dual compressor and a pioneer touch nav deck.

I also added a pair of usb/12v ports under the center console for my kids/rear seat passengers. no more cords all over the place.

now I'm saving for the f&r lockers w/ 4.88's and a arb front bumper and winch. my money pit! LOL

Attachments

• 5-13-17%20026_zpsyflbtj67.jpg
    5-13-17%20026_zpsyflbtj67.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 5-13-17%20023_zpsusmwofus.jpg
    5-13-17%20023_zpsusmwofus.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 5-13-17%20025_zpsjtuifjhb.jpg
    5-13-17%20025_zpsjtuifjhb.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
any updates on your build? how are the coilovers working for you, have the springs settled yet? how much do the knob adjustments change the ride of the coilover? I regret not getting those, maybe when/if I get them rebuilt i'll add them.

I've been busy since the rain ended. I added a dual battery kit with an isolator(gas truck) a spod, arb dual compressor and a pioneer touch nav deck.

I also added a pair of usb/12v ports under the center console for my kids/rear seat passengers. no more cords all over the place.

now I'm saving for the f&r lockers w/ 4.88's and a arb front bumper and winch. my money pit! LOL
No nothing new lately, I have been working on my ford lightning a lot. However we have been using the truck/camper alot this summer. Yes they have settled in nicely and the adjustment knobs are great. When I first loaded the camper the front end was too soft with the added weight of the camper. I realized I had it set on the softest setting, so i dialed the knob in almost the firmest position and it firmed the right up great for the camper! I would say those were well worth the little bit of extra money and the months I waited for them on backorder. I hope to do the dynatrac free spin kit next. I am finally graduated and working in my field, so my budget isn't as tight as when I was in school.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer

No nothing new lately, I have been working on my ford lightning a lot. However we have been using the truck/camper alot this summer. Yes they have settled in nicely and the adjustment knobs are great. When I first loaded the camper the front end was too soft with the added weight of the camper. I realized I had it set on the softest setting, so i dialed the knob in almost the firmest position and it firmed the right up great for the camper! I would say those were well worth the little bit of extra money and the months I waited for them on backorder. I am not sure what project I will start next on the truck. I really want to do a MOVE DIY welding front bumper, they are pretty inexpensive.
I am finally graduated and working in my field, so my budget isn't as tight as when I was in school.

I love your switch set up and the arb compressor:Wow1: does that Spod house all the relays for the switches?? I have never used one of those. its clean, i definitely need to look into that.

I switched over to flickr, i got sick and tired of photobucket always being down and glitchy, now they are trying to charge people! So i spent a whole day porting everything to flickr.

Truck Build Album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZ2ZKLt

Coilover Suspension Album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm43qryY

Seat Conversion Album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskYTWm93

Bumper Build Album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZSHqTy

tkrrox

I didn't think they made an Arb for d50??? Also if you are going to stick with 35" tires I would not run 4.88 gears. I put 4.30 with 35's and it's great for heavy tow only. Highway speed Rpm's are too high for my liking.
If I did it again I would do 4.10's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
I didn't think they made an Arb for d50??? Also if you are going to stick with 35" tires I would not run 4.88 gears. I put 4.30 with 35's and it's great for heavy tow only. Highway speed Rpm's are too high for my liking.
If I did it again I would do 4.10's

Darkjedi is a gasser. With the 7.3l diesel 4.10's is just right. With the v10 gas and 35's probably 4.56 rather than 4.88 or your rpms may be too high at highway speeds.
The 7.3l would be screaming with 4.88!

tkrrox

Darkjedi is a gasser. With the 7.3l diesel 4.10's is just right. With the v10 gas and 35's probably 4.56 rather than 4.88 or your rpms may be too high at highway speeds.
The 7.3l would be screaming with 4.88!

Cool I thought I read you were regearing. Do they make arb unit? I have a Detroit in the back, but if I was to do again I would run a true Trac. They are more friendly for the street. Also I went with a viair with tank over the arb compressor and they are rated to mount under your truck

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
I will regear to 4.10 or 4.11 at some point and arb lock the rear. I will probably leave the front open. Unless you are wheeling the superduty really hard, I feel ok with an open front. They do make an arb for the dana 50 though. If I decided to lock the front I'd probably swap a 60 in.

darkjedi351

Observer
No nothing new lately, I have been working on my ford lightning a lot. However we have been using the truck/camper alot this summer. Yes they have settled in nicely and the adjustment knobs are great. When I first loaded the camper the front end was too soft with the added weight of the camper. I realized I had it set on the softest setting, so i dialed the knob in almost the firmest position and it firmed the right up great for the camper! I would say those were well worth the little bit of extra money and the months I waited for them on backorder. I am not sure what project I will start next on the truck. I really want to do a MOVE DIY welding front bumper, they are pretty inexpensive.
I am finally graduated and working in my field, so my budget isn't as tight as when I was in school.

I love your switch set up and the arb compressor:Wow1: does that Spod house all the relays for the switches?? I have never used one of those. its clean, i definitely need to look into that.

I switched over to flickr, i got sick and tired of photobucket always being down and glitchy, now they are trying to charge people! So i spent a whole day porting everything to flickr.

Truck Build Album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZ2ZKLt

Coilover Suspension Album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm43qryY

Seat Conversion Album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskYTWm93

Bumper Build Album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZSHqTy

congrats on graduating! I'll have to check out the move diy bumper. the spod houses all the relays and fuses for the switches and it has a low voltage cutoff which is the main reason i got it. I really like that it only needs one wire to power it and its switches plus you can daisy chain them. flikr looks like the way to go. my truck came with 4.30 gears with the stock 265/75/16 tires (32's) so going to 4.88's will put everything back to that sweet spot for towing. the v10 likes to rev! i get better mpg at 75mph @ 2300rpm than 65@2100. i'm also not locking the front until i find a decent dana 60 to rebuild

there's a guy on the ford trucks forums with a v10 excursion with regular 35's(34.8") tires that has all the same mods that i have plus the 4.88 gears and he swears by it. he tows a big travel trailer up and down the east coast. I kinda wish i had a standard cab now that my kids are all grown up, i hate parking my land yacht. i just run **** over, lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles