2001 F350 4x4 7.3L Powerstoke Diesel all-purpose build

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
image.jpg

image.jpg

Got the rest of the suspension today! It's the full traction coil over conversion kit. After looking at everything closely in person the build quality is incredibly nice! The coil overs are on back order for another 1-2 weeks, so I won't be installing the kit until then. I went with King 2.5 coil overs 8" single rate 500lb/in coils. The reservoirs have a thumb screw ride adjuster built in. I have been waiting to buy this kit since it came out like 8 years ago, finally saved enough money to do it. The coils are adjustable for a ride height from 6"-8".

6daze

That's supposed to be a great kit! I'm debating between that and a 05+ axle/suspension conversion.
Can't wait to see how it looks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betarocker

Adventurer
Roof mounted light bars are nice, until you actually use them. You will have so much glare bouncing off the underside of the camper. Speaking of... what happens when you start flexing the suspension? The Ford's C-channel frame flexes quite a bit.

Coilovers will reduce the amount of compression spring travel. I had the option but went with 7" lift coils and shock beside. Had I gone to a 10" lift, I'd have done a coilover system.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
For what I do the travel I'll get from 8" coilover s is all I need and it's still more than I have now. Axle swap was not an option because my axle is the Dana 50. It's not a dana 60 so I couldn't sell it for much to offset the cost of purchasing the 04up axle. I'm really after ride quality and with this setup valving and spring rate it will be very good.
No problemw with light bar and camper interference yet. Although I have decided to build a trailer for the camper to ride in now. So I can still utilize my truck bed. I will be adding a transfer flow toolbox auxiliary fuel tank combo in the bed

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
The full traction coilover kit is on! The owner of full traction said I couldn't do it by myself in the driveway. We'll I did it all by myself with two 12 ton jack stands, two 6 ton Jack stands and a floor jack. Every single friend was out of town for Thanksgiving holiday. Took me 16 hours start to finish. The ride is so smooth!!!!!!! This was the best decision I have made for this truck since I plan on keeping forever. I will post more pics tonight. As well as all the tips and tricks I utilized.

20161122_115947.jpg20161122_115955.jpg20161122_120001.jpg20161122_115913.jpg

Last edited:

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
I had the caster set to 2.5 degrees positive and the truck seemed a little dirty. So I have adjusted it to 6 degrees positive caster and it's perfect. I took the truck out this weekend to get a Christmas tree way up past Jonesville in butte county.
Snow got to be almost a foot deep and everything preformed very well with the truck and the coilovers.
The truck handled better offroad than I could have expected.
The King coilovers soaked up all the ruts and rough terrain smoothly with controlled handling even at high speeds.
The suspension cylcled smoothly throughout full travel with no binding or noise from the Johnny joints. I love how quiet the suspension cycles compared to leaf springs at high speed and washboard. After I softened up the adjustable dial on the reservoirs the wash board was smooth as can be.
I only had one jam nut loosen on the kit at the heim joint on the lower end of the trac bar.
The Kings are smoother and softer than any of the 05 up fab tech 3.0 coilover trucks I have ridden in.
Driving conditions on the expedition consisted of mud,deep snow, and ice.
There were a lot of people stuck up that way and a lot of flat landers doing stupid stuff on snow and ice with street tires and 2wd vehicles. We would drive a few miles and there would be another group stuck in a snow bank. We always would pull people out but it slowed us down a lot. The limited slip is not ideal so I will be looking into a locker next year, Front and rear.
I have ZERO complaints so far and will be heading up again in a couple weekends for another mountain snow adenture.
Thanks to Full traction owner Steve K. for answering all my questions and providing prompt knowledgable customer service. He's was a great guy to talk with and learn from.

Sisters wrangler high centered in a deep snow ditch:
IMG_3068 by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

Only pic of my truck start of that day, not too exciting, I'm really bad at taking pictures on expeditions, I tend to loose track of time and forget to stop and take photos!
IMG_3079 by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20161202_152744_zpsislkazbw by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20161202_152802_zpspyqhumys by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20161202_152833_zpshjzvo972 by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20161202_153052_zpsrofqjv8e by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20161202_153114_zpsfwnerigt by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20161202_153145_zpsgqevlzjr by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20161202_153215_zpsbq8fugm2 by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20161202_153242_zps9cumumjf by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

20161202_153317_zpsgyx7md2i by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

Last edited:

darkjedi351

Observer
nice truck! I did the full traction conversion last summer and absolutely love it. it is the best mod available for the leaf spring superduty's as excursions. keep a close eye on your sway bar links, I stripped one of the aluminum centers. steve sent me a replacement but I upgraded to steel since I didn't trust the strength of the aluminum. I've tinkered with my ride height a little by changing base plates and coil springs. how's your steering box? I just installed a redhead box last week and it is a huge improvement over my old original 2000 steering box. cheers

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
nice truck! I did the full traction conversion last summer and absolutely love it. it is the best mod available for the leaf spring superduty's as excursions. keep a close eye on your sway bar links, I stripped one of the aluminum centers. steve sent me a replacement but I upgraded to steel since I didn't trust the strength of the aluminum. I've tinkered with my ride height a little by changing base plates and coil springs. how's your steering box? I just installed a redhead box last week and it is a huge improvement over my old original 2000 steering box. cheers

Thanks for the tip on the aluminum centers for the sway bar links! I will keep an eye on them. Well, the main shaft of the steering box has a very slight amount of play when i grab the pitman arm and force all my weight into it. So I foresee a red head box in the near future. The box only has 126k but it saw alot of dirt roads with a camper on the back over the years, sometimes with a trailer in tow before I picked the truck up from my uncle. I might do hydro steering too. For 2017 Im going to do, 4.10 gears and arb locker in the rear maybe front as well, and a new steering box. It will take the whole year to saving before Ill be able to do most of it lol.

What was your steering behaving like going down the road before your box was replaced? Just curious to see if mine is doing the same.

darkjedi351

Observer
My steering was kinda scary on the freeway. It had a big loose spot on both sides of dead center. I would have to anticipate going into and coming out of big sweeping freeway turns.

just a heads up. I was under my truck today and noticed that the smaller heim joints on the frame stiffener and the track bar are rusting. I thought these were stainless but I guess not.

How do you like your dual king stabilizer set up?

how long are the heim joint threads on the 4 link bars? I'm currently at 4 degrees caster because my alignment guy was afraid he would unthread the joints too much.

Last edited:

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Not much new, Just driving it and enjoying the truck.
20170211_171541_zps4g0vqjy9 by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr
I have about an inch of exposed threads. I dont know the exact degree of caster. I just adjusted until i got a nice snap back return on the steering wheel after making turns, I also adjusted caster until the "darty" behavior was alleviated on the highway. I also had to push the axle forward a bit so that the front tires dont contact the rear of the wheel well at full lock on the compression stroke of the suspension cycle. When I left the alignment shop they barely had to do anything. my Diy garage alignment was spot on! I had them leave the caster at 3 deg so i could adjust it further. Its probably around 4 right now, maybe a bit over 4. I have no death wobble and no complaints, it rides amazing!! I will be upgrading the steering box soon or possibly hydro.

The seats are out of a 2010 F150 Platinum.

I recently purchase a non expedition vehicle for $4k, It is a 2001 Ford SVT Lightning . I am building the new engine right now, so nothing new on the superduty right now. Just waiting for the rain to stop!
Almost done by PWRstroke_smoke, on Flickr

Last edited:

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Amazing build and a great thread. Thanks for bringing us all along on this cool journey.

I'm starting an expedition build with my 02 F350 PSD and will be pulling some of your mods for my work. I'm always looking for ideas and learning from those who have taken the time to post and enlighten the rest. The full traction suspension is incredible but may be out of my ballpark.

Are your headlights OEM Harley Edition 07's and is the improvement they provide better lighting or is it just aesthetic? Are the direct bolt in or were any modifications needed?

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments!
Im never really sure how many people benefit from the threads I post. I figure there are other people on here like me, who read through the threads a lot but don't always feel like posting. I save for 3 years at least to do that coil over conversion! Start a jar and toss extra money in it a before you know it you will have enough. Look for used coil overs to cut down on the costs. They sell just the builders kit without the coil overs.
Yes they are much brighter. I had to cut out a larger diameter in the header panel directly behind the lights, to accommodate the deeper headlight housing. Once the lights are in you cant even tell the panel was cut.

photo3_zps254ef94a.jpg

photo14_zps7c498d64.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles