2001 e350 7.3 hoping to get economic 4x4 conversion

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
How much do you think this guy paid for his "lifted Ford van"? This is the kind of stuff you get with cheap conversions. I am sorry to say that all of you folks out there that keep supporting the bargain conversion have obviously never attempted it yourselves, OR if you have, you are the ones off loading this garbage on CL and eBay to unsuspecting buyers. I want to see any one of you pull this off. Any takers? I bet not.
This ******** gets people seriously injured or killed when it fails.
View attachment 89343

steelheadbum

Adventurer
Just because you pay more for something does not mean you get a better product...Ive been a contractor for the past decade plus...I have repaired garbage work that the company charged double for what the job was worth...just becauae a company charges more doesnt not mean its a superior product...I have seen spanish, polish and brazilians with limited tools make americans jobs look horrible...Plain and simple they do alot more with less... craftmen in america are a dieing breed..

Look what I'm saying is... I work hard and get paid well, so why not support an american small businesses such as Ujoint his prices are very competitive compared to Quad van, Sports mobile, Quigley, he has employees that he must pay, he does great work, and will be their if and when something goes wrong not to mention added value when it comes to selling the van. That's the problem now days everyone wants a great product but hates to pay for great work.
Buck
And no my van is not a ujoint conversion!!

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....

dvorocks

Adventurer
Im not saying ujoint doesnt do a great job..his conversions look top notch... that does not mean that someone cant do a conversion for less money and still get a decent job...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Im not saying ujoint doesnt do a great job..his conversions look top notch... that does not mean that someone cant do a conversion for less money and still get a decent job...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

If you're talking about a complete DIY job with used parts, then yeah, one could maybe do a conversion for less than all of the major conversion companies and, IF they were skilled, they could maybe do a nice job. But that is an apples to oranges comparison to the conversion mentioned previously. An individual can do whatever they want concerning the parts used in the swap. Someone might choose to use parts straight out of junk yard without going through any of them. That's their prerogative.
When you're talking about a "conversion company", that is a whole different ball game. I can't speak for Chris but as a fabrication business owner myself, I wouldn't and CAN'T risk using parts with unknown history or taking shortcuts on fabrication. The liability is just too great. It is downright foolish and irresponsible as an owner of a business to expose yourself to that much risk just to save a few bucks in the process. A legitimate business with the intention of providing customers with the highest quality work for a fair price doesn't do $hit like that trac bar picture or double lift block picture above. A guy trying to make a fast buck with no regard for the customer's safety will though.
To each his own though, right?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I can't speak for Chris but as a fabrication business owner myself, I wouldn't and CAN'T risk using parts with unknown history or taking shortcuts on fabrication. The liability is just too great. It is downright foolish and irresponsible as an owner of a business to expose yourself to that much risk just to save a few bucks in the process. A legitimate business with the intention of providing customers with the highest quality work for a fair price doesn't do $hit like that trac bar picture or double lift block picture above. A guy trying to make a fast buck with no regard for the customer's safety will though.
To each his own though, right?

Exactly. if I were to install unknown take out parts the risk is too high. If there's an issue, who's to blame? Me! In the wonderful age we live in, in just takes one guy with an issue to hurt business via the internet. Thats why we replace everything on every axle. I don't even let anyone bring their own axle for a conversion.

Don't get me wrong, there are guys out there capable of doing a nice conversion themselves. I still don't think its possible for 4K, but there are skilled guys out there that can build something nice. They usually wind up buying my kit though, they're smart enough to know that fabricating a set of spring hangers takes more time & effort than the $595 I charge.

Acheateaux

Adventurer
So in reviving a thread...

If I was looking to convert my 2000 E350 7.3 and found a low mileage 2001 Excursion, how many of the parts would be swap-able to my frame? Im planning on a Ujoint 4' kit, but do I have to do the kit or can I use the bulk of the stuff from under the 01 excursion? I found the excursion in my search for axles. It got dumped on it's side so has left side body damage, but everything else runs great. (I know the wreck as I was one of the responders to the "emergency". 45mph up an embankment just enough to tip it over. Guy doesn't care to fix it and I can pick the whole rig for 4k)

How bad an idea is it? Or is it even close to possible?

Rico24/7

Too many responses are ignoring the fact that the OP has already stated that he does NOT have the inclination for DIY. He is only examining Have it done For him.

If OP truly wants to examine this $4-6k Conversion, ask the shop for customer contact info, so that you can ‘interview’ them, and see the completed work.

Personally, I’m Terrified ANY time I have to sub work out, because I’ve seen FAR more examples of Corners Cut, than those executed Thoroughly .... on even much more Simple jobs. And as many have eluded to: what is your family’s Safety worth ? If you have to swerve to avoid something, and the van high-sides due to incorrect suspension/steering geometry, you’re putting lives at risk.

Rico24/7

Got it (NOW). It came up in my google search for 4WD Conversion topic, I opened, read, looked for information; but not once did I look at post dates.

eblau

Adventurer
Just so this shows up one someones elses search-

If you want an economical 4x4 van buy one that is already done (right) and save a TON of money. One ton axles and parts are not cheap and the work isn't cheap either. Personally I couldn't imagine taking my rig on a road where it is bobbling back and forth or being rattled to death on washboard. I can barely navigate a speedbump unless perpendicular without stuff flinging around in the cabinets or spilling their contents out on to the floor lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior