Deshet

Adventurer
Hi everyone.
I would like my van converted to 4wd.
I live in Virginia.
I don't really want a rock crawling machine
I want something that is as capable as a factory 4x4 system
I am not a fabricator or a welder
I have been reading this forum for years and joined tonight because I have a decision

I need to decide between keeping my 2001 e350 7.3 Starcraft conversion van and my 2000 ford excursion limited 4x4
They are both 7.3 powerstroke diesel.
The excursion has a little more power due to the intercooler. My wife has hit a few things with the excursion over the years and it needs about $1500 in body work.
They both have equal miles and run perfect.
I really like the van better. I really don't need two large diesels.
Half of my family likes the van and half of my family likes the excursion.
I have only seen one other van like mine in person.
Both are paid off.
Can I get 4x4 installed in the van for under $4000?

What would you do, keep the van or excursion?
I really like the look of the sportsmobile vans.

Thanks,

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Can I get 4x4 installed in the van for under $4000?

What would you do, keep the van or excursion?

Thanks,

I don't think that even by using all junkyard parts and doing the labor yourself, you could come anywhere close to converting an E-Series van to 4wd for $4,000. Have you looked at Ujoint's website? The costs are all there. My advice; sell the van, take the $4,000 and make the Excursion work.

Deshet

Adventurer
I have had quotes for $6000 to do the 4x4 conversion on the van. The qoutes seem like they are building something that is way too over built for my needs.

I only use 4x4 about twice a year maybe a inch or 2 of snow and compacted sand on the beach or Getting up the driveway of my buddies ski house. I have had my excursion for about 10 years and have used 4x4 about 12 times.

I am 100% positive that I can get all of the parts used for under $1500.00.....Around here it is way cheaper to buy a wreck then getting separate parts from the junk yard.

Thanks

Abitibi

Explorer
If you're only using it twice a year or so why not simply put a locker at the rear or carry chains? It's a lot of work to do a proper conversion that will handle right. There's a lot to consider in the process...

Best of luck!
Mr. D

dcguillory

Adventurer
Dont waste your time if your only going to use it a couple times a year. This is one of those things that requires passion. 2 times a year = no passion. Use what you have. Buy some serious chains from this guy http://shop.clothiertransmissionandtractionproducts.com/ then put in a locker if your dieing to spend more money. Converting E-series just for fun is for people with a lot more money to throw around then you. 4 grand is a bunch for me too, but I will use it all winter long on my own property besides trips in the snow and camping.

gringorick

Adventurer
Agree. Get a rear locker and learn to use it. A good off road driver can get more places with 2WD and a rear locker than most everyday road warriors can get using their 4WD.

bdog1

Adventurer
Is the "Starcraft" a camper conversion? You should share some pictures since it's that rare.

I'll take the hi-road: Sell the exc. and get the van converted with that money! This is after all the 4x4 van thread!

Sent from my weak AT&T iPhone

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I have had quotes for $6000 to do the 4x4 conversion on the van. The qoutes seem like they are building something that is way too over built for my needs.

I only use 4x4 about twice a year maybe a inch or 2 of snow and compacted sand on the beach or Getting up the driveway of my buddies ski house. I have had my excursion for about 10 years and have used 4x4 about 12 times.

I am 100% positive that I can get all of the parts used for under $1500.00.....Around here it is way cheaper to buy a wreck then getting separate parts from the junk yard.

Thanks
OK. I want to be a supportive 4wd van enthusiast, so why not fill us in on your conversion idea a bit. Here are some things to think about;
1. What will your donor front axle come out of?
2. What type of suspension are you planning on? (Leaf, coil, coil-over)
3. What will you use as suspension hangers/brackets, etc...
4. What transfer-case are you planning on using?
5. Are you converting your 4R100 to have a 4wd output adapter, or swapping in a 4wd 4r100 from a donor?
6. What will you use to shift the t-case?
7. Are you using your current rear axle or swapping in a matching donor? (gear ratio, wheel adapters)
8. What are you going to do about shortening the fuel tank?
Any suspension system you use will require some fabrication. But, it's one thing to get the components stuffed under the van.... It's an entirely different thing to do it safely. You're looking at a minimum 4" lift to clear the engine cross-member with the axle housing. Things get out of whack very quickly when you start putting some lift on different types of suspension. Start throwing some ideas out there, and let's see what we can come up with for you in the way of parts, ease of install, reliability, safety, and costs.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

No way can a van be overbuilt for 6K. Has this shop done a 4x4 van conversion before? Don't want to see you get sucked into a build and have them realize that its going to take much more $$ to finish it.

Deshet

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the replies. Ujoint/Chris I did talk to you a couple years ago about the van. Your kit seems great but I don't have the time or expertise to do the job. I am not far from your shop. The guy that quoted me $6000 is very capable of doing the work. He makes his living building 4x4 vans and selling them on eBay. He is on the west coast, I go to west coast 3 to 4 times a year with my job.

I am not overly concerned about the components used in the conversion. I just want the system to work. I don't need or expect my 7000+ pound Van to perform like a Landcruiser. I have 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, and 3 japanese KEI mini trucks.

I have thought about making it into a prerunner but I would like 4 wheel drive. I rarely need it when towing my boat but I like knowing it's there. I like to know I can venture out when I need to during inclement weather. I have always owned at least one 4x4 truck.

Cost is a factor in the conversion but my biggest concern is ROI. I don't plan on putting $6000 into a Van if the value isn't increased $6,000.

It's hard to explain but I love fishing probably like you guys love offroading. I will spend $1000 on a reel to get the best components although a $250 reel will most likely work.

I am wanting the basic solution not the best thing going.

Thanks,

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
The concern we have is for your safety. A lifted van done improperly with less than ideal components is dangerous! Have you ever heard of death wobble? Jeep owners and Dodge Ram owners are very familiar with it. A 7000lbs van going 70 mph on the freeway experiencing DW is nothing to laugh about. Designing and installing a properly working control arm/coil sprung suspension takes expertise and $$$. I am not aware of anyone doing leaf spring conversions other than UJOR and Sportsmobile. It's your money, spend it how you want. We just want to make sure you and your family are safe to enjoy your travels. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Deshet

Adventurer
YouTube 2040javier1 and make the decision if he knows what to do. I have looked at his work over the years and it looks top notch. I have even seen some of his van listings in the section where you guys track 4x4 van listings. Keep in mind that $6000 does not hold the same amount of value in every part of this great country.

All of these guys that do 4x4 kits or conversions started out somewhere. Every kit on a van is a conversion. There is a guy in the area with a great looking sportsmobile van 4x4. The van looks great but it's hard to explain how a gas powered e350 can be over $100,000.

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Oh, I absolutely agree with you on the crazy costs of a Sportsmobile, but to be fair, only a portion of that is the 4wd conversion. All things being equal, labor is what gets you. I am familiar with 2040javier1, and $6,000 may go a lot further with him. Things to look for are proper alignment of the steering components, solid trac-bar mounts and joints, and relative ease of finding replacement parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles