2001 Cherokee srong enough for a Roof top tent?

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I have a line on a 2001 Cherokee (sport). Just wondering if the vehicle is strong enough to have a roof top tent with me (215 lbs) and one other person in it. I know the roof rack says something like 200 lbs evenly distributed, but if I mount tent to the roof itself will it be strong enough?

Thanks,

Eric

*edit* that should say "strong" not "srong" in the title.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Thanks!

the Jeep comes over at 5:30 today. Trying to work a trade for my 1991 Audi 90 Quattro 20V.

bldeagle10

Explorer
as previously said, use a rack with gutter mounts, at least 3 to each side, the more mounts the better distributed the weight will be

shogun

Adventurer
The roof itself will definately Not support the tent. The factory roof rack (cross bars and roof rails) will Not support the tent. An aftermarket rack attached to the gutters will support it, but eventually overstress the gutters/pillars unless you add several mounting clamps. Personally I wouldnt use less than 4 per side, and more of possible. Theres a thread on NAXJA now about trying to repair A/B pillar cracking.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I have a line on a 2001 Cherokee (sport). Just wondering if the vehicle is strong enough to have a roof top tent with me (215 lbs) and one other person in it. I know the roof rack says something like 200 lbs evenly distributed, but if I mount tent to the roof itself will it be strong enough?

Thanks,

Eric

*edit* that should say "strong" not "srong" in the title.

Eric, you'll need to get at least two, if not three thule bars that have gutter mounts. Look on craigslist for good deals.

Usually when roof racks are given ratings, they mean DYNAMIC loads. This is referring to the load a roof can hold while the car is moving. Any roof top tent including the fully fiberglass maggiolina from Autohome (the one my wife and i owned) is going to be less than that rating and will be perfectly fine on your rig.

As far as STATIC load capacities, you're truck, my truck, my fiberglass roofed blazer, chevy pickups, land rover defenders, etc, etc, etc, can hold MUCH MORE weight than the rack rating if using a quality yakima/thule gutter mount, or something like a gobi/bajarack/safety devices/con-ferr, etc.

So yes, the rack, the tent, you, your significant other, your dog, and laptop, and snugglie will all be well supported while parked in camp, assuming you go with a quality setup.

cheers bro!

-Brian

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
As said the gutter mount is your best option for distributing the load over the chassis. The mention of three crossbars or more is for longevity of the RTT itself, the wider ones can bow in the center with much weight inside if not properly supported. I picked up two sets of Thule towers and crossbars for my wide (72") RTT, it's solid.

XJreassembly2009.jpg

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Got it!

I traded my 1991 Audi quattro 20V for a 2001Cherokee sport. 4sp auto 4.0.

I will be building it up to be the family Camping / Geocaching vehicle.

Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior