2001 4x4 4runner build. At Molasses pace

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
New shoes and suspension

SOAZ said:
Sway bars attached in the rear loose in the front! I'm happy:

Your 4Runner is coming along nicely. Expo is starting to put together some nice 4Runners to go along with the Tacomas. :Mechanic:

Cheers :beer:,
P

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
SOAZ said:
Sway bars attached in the rear loose in the front! I'm happy: :arabia:
sesese.jpg

Looks like a lot more flex up front - mine is just the opposite, loose in back, attached up front. Do you get too much drop for the CVs with the Donahoes?

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
p1michaud said:
Your 4Runner is coming along nicely. Expo is starting to put together some nice 4Runners to go along with the Tacomas. :Mechanic:

Cheers :beer:,
P
Thank you sir. I'm loving it! :safari-rig: :smiley_drive:

SOAZ

jeffryscott said:
Looks like a lot more flex up front - mine is just the opposite, loose in back, attached up front. Do you get too much drop for the CVs with the Donahoes?

Travel in front should be identical to stock. Increasing it just causes too many cv issues. I wouldn't do the upper arm unless it was "given" too me, but I may turn mine into the 1 inch longer version sometime down the road. It just doesn't make enough of a difference to spend the time right now.
From what I've seen and heard the rear sway bar being detached doesn't do a ton, but from what I've fealt the front makes a pretty good size difference.
It also made the ride much nicer.
Last saturday with swaybar it was bumper and a little jerky when compared to Sunday with it off...
Plus with the increased spring rate of the DR's the body roal is almost non existant.:Mechanic:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I forget what lift if any your running up front but I have the SS lift and use his limit straps to keep CV's in check. Though running 3" in the front w/o straps could possibly lead to cv disslocation or worse.
P4121848.jpg

P4121847.jpg

P1310542.jpg

Aaron

SOAZ

xcmountain80 said:
I forget what lift if any your running up front but I have the SS lift and use his limit straps to keep CV's in check. Though running 3" in the front w/o straps could possibly lead to cv disslocation or worse.
P4121848.jpg

P4121847.jpg

P1310542.jpg

Aaron

The reason he uses limit straps is because the kit uses a shock that is too long and would extend too far if you didn't have limit straps. The donahoe coilover, stock shocks etc are designed to limit the down travel and handle the weight of the wheel when it wants to keep drooping.
Yes, if you went to 3 inches of lift the cv's would be at an angle that would constantly wear the cv's, sometimes causing failure. The only thing I dont like about limit straps is that they stretch. My old tacoma went from about 14 inches of travel in the rear to a little over 15. This caused some problems...
I would recommend checking the limit straps length for the first 6 months they are on there pretty frequently. Once the initial stretch is out of them they slow down, but will always stretch a little. :Mechanic:

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Stretch, very true. Though they haven't stretched much I will keep an eye on it but being they are on the front of the truck and don't get flexed out to much the speed at which they stretch will be slower, I also noticed the pyrotect straps I have are thicker than say the type Procomp offers which might aid in lessening the stretch. I know there are sway bar disco but for the Runners they dont really do a darn thing.

Aaron

SOAZ

Your right. Our trucks work really well as long as there aren't HUGE articulation demands. (regarding the sway bar issue)
My goal is to get some great approach and departure angles. Bullet proof the bottom though budbuilt and some home made composite plastic skid plates and then I can wheel it like an old v-dub. (just slide over everything on the belly pan! :wings: )
I gotta get the front TJM next or maybe one of my next 5 things. To many things to little wallet! :Mechanic:

SOAZ

The $40 roof-top carrier ROCKS! Great mod! I kept all of our clothes, pillows, and water supply up there. No dust!
Utah07289.jpg

Utah07234.jpg

Utah07022.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
xcmountain80 said:
Stretch, very true. Though they haven't stretched much I will keep an eye on it but being they are on the front of the truck and don't get flexed out to much the speed at which they stretch will be slower, I also noticed the pyrotect straps I have are thicker than say the type Procomp offers which might aid in lessening the stretch. I know there are sway bar disco but for the Runners they dont really do a darn thing.

Aaron
Regarding limit straps, most actual strap mfg's will make them to the length you want and with as many layers as you want up to physically fittling them thru their hardware. The more layers the less stretch but the harder they 'hit'.

BTW, around my place molasses is the sand clock by which the pace of project speed is measured, & I have a BIG jar.

SOAZ

ntsqd said:
BTW, around my place molasses is the sand clock by which the pace of project speed is measured, & I have a BIG jar.

In that case I'm right on time with my build.:costumed-smiley-007

SOAZ

FourByLand said:
Very nice build, keep it coming!

Thank YOU sir!
I just made some sliders last saturday down in Tucson. I like how they turned out!! Not bad for scrap metal!!
:arabia:
From this:
sliders001.jpg

sliders003.jpg

TO THIS:
sliders002.jpg

To this:
sliders004.jpg

sliders009.jpg

sliders007.jpg

sliders011.jpg

woohoo!:Mechanic: :shakin: