2001 4x4 4runner build. At Molasses pace

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
* 2001 4x4 4runner build. At Molasses pace *

:imagesCADZQMBJ: Those two guys are how I feel with every build I've ever done. Eyes wide open. Ready to race and I just wait.... For my bank account to have enough to do the next mod and then..... wait....
hahaha. Thats all part of the fun!
So far I have:
replaced the fuel filter, air filter, tranny fluid, front and rear diff, transfer case fluid, windshield wipers, spark plugs, plug wires, added a CB radio in the cigarette lighter spot, tinted the front windows to match, added 265/75/16 bridgestone revo tires load rating c, done the rear diff breather extension, greased all of the driveline zerks, put my mag light up with quick fists, cut the end of the big rear cone bump stops off, cut the lower mud flap part off, removed the running boards, done sea foam, replaced the pcv valve, replaced the o2 sensor, put a radar detector in (its a race car!) desert pinstriped the hell out of it and hidden enough tools, zip ties, duct tape and food in the damn thing to last a week.
Here is how she sits after all that!
CrownKing3-4-07_20070303_99_15-1.jpg

CrownKing3-4-07_20070303_99_21.jpg

CrownKing3-4-07_20070303_99_29.jpg

Last edited:

SOAZ

Yah. Like my old tacoma it will never be done. I was going to keep it mild, but I just decided that I want to take it to a "higher" level of mild. It seems stupid to get the OEM lift with 99 coils when I could get donahoes for the same price. Might as well step it up.
My goal is to have a bit of a sleeper. 255/85 Tires, stock rims, sliders, modded bumpers that somehow retain a bit of stock feel, all of the electronic goodies, a e-locker in the rear, a drawer/sleeping platform, limo tint, maybe even a supercharger some day...

SOAZ

So last night I took my new www.suvcargocaddy.com locking drawer and started to build my sleeper. I took one 4x8 of sanded plywood. Cut a 39" section for the part beind the rear seats.
The width was right on at 4 feet. Then I installed some mounting points for the turn buckles on all 4 corners to hold it all securely in place.
The front section is 31" long. I built a leg that pivots down to support the front section.
I have an inverter that I'm mounting in the back, 2 layers of the carpet padding I'm going to cut and lay down. Green indoor outdoor carpet. Some buckles to hold the two pieces together. I'll post some pics of the progress tonight. :suning:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
look forward to the build up, and the pics of the cargo caddy. I made my own drawers, but the cargo caddy looks like a nice, ready-made solution.

I started my box as a 39-inch square, now I'm looking at how to add an extension to make a sleeping platform for when i'm alone. If you can, post some detail shots as well as to how you do the sleeping extension.

love that green too.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Your right to start out slow and figure out the difference of what you need vs. what you want. I took a quick look at your website and based on some of your photos and the terrain you cover, I'd suggest adding a set of rocksliders sometime in the near future.

I got mine from Badland Bumpers.

SOAZ

offroad_nomad said:
Your right to start out slow and figure out the difference of what you need vs. what you want. I took a quick look at your website and based on some of your photos and the terrain you cover, I'd suggest adding a set of rocksliders sometime in the near future.

I got mine from Badland Bumpers.
Definately have some sliders in mind for the future. The rock are SHARP in AZ!
I'll check those out!

SOAZ

Okay, here are some pics!
Drawersystem005.jpg

I put the brackets on each corner and a turn buckle at each corner to secure it down. The cargo caddy has rubber stoppers on the base of it, but with spirited offroad driving there is nothing from keeping it getting airborne...
Drawersystem009.jpg

Drawersystem008.jpg

Drawersystem010.jpg

Here is the extension. I made a 9 inch leg that swings down to hold the front piece in place. (since the seats dont sit completely flat I did 9 inches instead of the 10 which is the height of the caddy.
Drawersystem006.jpg

My mag lite for when I hear scary noises in the night.
Drawersystem007.jpg

My inverter for a night lite!
Drawersystem014.jpg

This is what I had fun with last night. Lots of cutting, staple gunning, cutting again. Yes, that is one messy garage right now!!!!
I'll post better pics of the extension piece tonight!! I put two layers of the carpet padding on both platforms and then the green indoor outdoor.
Woohoo!

Last edited:

SOAZ

jeffryscott said:
look forward to the build up, and the pics of the cargo caddy. I made my own drawers, but the cargo caddy looks like a nice, ready-made solution.

I started my box as a 39-inch square, now I'm looking at how to add an extension to make a sleeping platform for when i'm alone. If you can, post some detail shots as well as to how you do the sleeping extension.

love that green too.
Thanks I love that color too. I was all about silver or black on my tacoma, but I like the green. I feel like less people have it... And it blends in the outdoors...
39 seems to be the magic number! Thank god Home depot cuts the wood for you because I dont have a power saw. 39x48 for the rear, 31x48 for the extension.

SOAZ

I'm DONE!!! woohoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check it out. Comfy as heck and it matches the outside of my car tooooooooooo!
Drawersystem006-1.jpg

Drawersystem002.jpg

Drawersystem003-1.jpg

Drawersystem001.jpg

Drawersystem004.jpg

Drawersystem005-1.jpg

Drawersystem007-1.jpg

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Looks great., I'd love to see it with the drawer open if you have any of those pics.

And, if you still have it all laid out, how much length is there front to back? I'm 6-3 and wonder if there is enough space to sleep comfortably. I've got too much crap in mine right now to figure that out.

And where did you get the d-rings you attached the turnbuckles to? I'm looking for a way to secure my box and haven't seen anything like that at Home Depot.

My box is still plain wood - need to herculine it or finish it in some way, then get the sleeping platform configured - if it will work for me.

Thanks for sharing.

SOAZ

The length of mine is 70 inches, but I could have made it 80 inches easily! If you put the front seat backs up you can get even more!
I'll take some pics of the drawer tomorrow.
The little brackets I found at ACE hardware. The Home depot guys actually told me to go there because they dont have that stuff. I found the brackets, all 4 for about 3.50 in the car section. Next to the truck tie down brackets.
More pics to come tomorrow. I'm trying it out for the first time tomorrow night! :suning:

Bergger

Explorer
Put a shirt on!! Oh you mean what do we think about the drawer/sleep platform. I like it. I was going to do the same thing last year with the same set of drawers for my wife's 4Runner. But I ended up selling it so never got the chance to do it. Let us know how it works out in the field. Good job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke