2001-2004 Taco + Camper: 4cyl or 6cyl ?

The experience of true world adventurers along with forums such as this one have sold me on the advantages and benefits of FWCs and ATCs.

In May I returned from a motorcycle adventure ride that took us from eastern Canada, through the US, Central and South America. After 3 months, “S” had to fly back to the real world and a real job. Meanwhile I made my way to Buenos Aires in time for the start of the Dakar and then rode down to Ushuaia, the most southern city in the world. I then zig-zaged my way back home. Over 60,000 km (~40,000 miles) on a BMW GS in just under 8 months.

Along the way I met many other adventurers riding around Central and South America (many, many more than you’d expect), and also many, mostly Europeans, traveling by Land Rovers, Toyotas and converted Mercedes military vehicles.

A wonderful Spanish couple, for example, shipped their naked Hilux to Halifax and searched of a FWC as they made their way through North America. When they couldn’t locate one before they headed into Mexico, they settled on a heavier wood-framed pop-up. They love traveling with it (they get to sleep in their own bed every night) but they often notice the weight of their abode, particularly in those hills called the Andes. As I write this, they are on a beach in Brazil.

“S” and I have been bitten by the adventure travel bug. I love the GS, there is nothing like it. But on long adventures I often wished for more comfort. Plus, my body often reminds me that I am not getting any younger.

So I’ve started shopping for 2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma 4WD, manual transmission, extended cab. I’m looking to load it up with a FWC for future adventures. Engine and suspension modifications, if any, will be kept to a minimum. I’m not looking to build a rock crawler. A reliable real-world adventure traveler is what interests me.

When “S” is available to come along, we’ll be 2 adults traveling with our wonderful Labrador Retriever (360 lbs for the 3 of us). Jazz already has dibs on the extended cab.

My questions have to do with the 2.7 L four cylinder rated at 150 hp and 177 lb·ft of torque (Heck, the GS has 100 hp) vs the 3.4 L six cylinder (190 hp and 220 lb·ft).

I’m looking to tap into the experiences of owners of four cylinder Taco outfitted with an ATC or FWC.

1 - When you travel with your camper, how far do you usually venture?
2 - Why did you choose the four cylinder? Are you satisfied you made the proper decision?
3 - Do you have difficulty maintaining highway speed limits?
4 - If you were to get another, would you step up the the 6 cylinder? Why?

BTW, like many here, I too wish Toyota would have a diesel for the North American market. However, after riding in Central and South America, I appreciate our emissions regulations. There is a lot of air pollution on their highways and in many of their cities. After a day of riding our faces would often be black from soot. Diesel soot bellows out of buses and most vehicles. Some places are worst than others, but I was often concerned about what I was breathing.

Thanks in advance. The exchange of information and real world experiences in these forums is invaluable.

abeaudin1971

Adventurer
Hey Robert,

I took a quick glance at your site - nice trip. I have an 09 Tacoma with the 2.7l engine. (4x4 Access Cab)

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable putting an ATC or FWC on it - it just doesn't have enough power to handle one plus people and gear in my opinion.

On the other hand, if I stay between 100 and 110km/h on the highway (60 to say 65mph for the folks south of the border) I get about 10l/100km out of it or about 30 mpg (Canadian - about 24 mpg (US))

So there's always trade offs.

-a

XtremeMike

97 taco 4x4 5 spd FWC Eagle

I run the Toyota Tacoma with the 4WC Eagle, i have 6" Fabtech Lift and 35" BFG AT's, 5sp and custom Air Springs in rear. The Eagle is well equiped and just over 700#. the truck drives great though a bit sopt in terms of body roll due to the taller lift. I would not consider the 4cyl, as the v-6 i have does show signs of effort. It will run as fast as you want on the big road, and does great around town with Camper. I often tow this unit behind my ram 25004x4 with Lance mounted. Travel with one or both to and across sand beaches on a regular basis.

Hope this helps !
XM :victory:

8427712_UBnvw
http://xtrv.smugmug.com/gallery/8427712_UBnvw#568445132_VZATj

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I wouldn't even consider the 4 cyl. The advantage in MPG is minimal but the penalty in lack of power is very real, especially with the gear you're planning on hauling. A diesel 4 cyl would be great as long as you weren't in a hurry but that's not an option in the US, sadly.

Also the 3.4 is a great engine. Except for the timing belt, it requires little maintenance. Also I *think* you get a beefier 5 speed with the V-6 than you do with the 4 cyl but I may be wrong on that (the Toyota cognoscenti can jump in here and issue corrections as needed.)

The only way I would consider a Taco with a 4 cyl would be if it was a regular cab and hauling minimal gear.

BTW I just sold a vehicle pretty much like what you are looking for. My selling price with the fiberglass shell was $12,500 which was on the low end of what I've seen. It was a great truck and I loved it but my needs changed so I switched to the same vehicle but in SUV form (99 4runner) and with an auto tranny.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Not even a question. Get the 3.4L V6. One of the finest engines Toyota has produced. I've had 3. One supercharged. None ever missed a beat.

njtaco

Explorer
Fuel mileage will likely plummet with the 2.7. I tow a 1200# travel trailer, and my economy drops from 22+ highway to 14 mpg. The lack of power is frustrating, especially in the "hills" when we go to Vermont. Even with just a truck cap and gear the 2.7 is lacking a bit.

Oh, mine is an automatic with factory 4.56 gears, truck cap, extended cab, 4x4.

For the most part, from what I read on "the boards", the 3.4 V6 gets comparable mileage to the 2.7 when all things are considered.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
As far as MPG goes, I averaged just over 20mpg on the highway. Would occasionally hit 22 but that was rare. I hit 27 once but that was a pure fluke (a slow downhill run from Glenwood Springs, except for the two short uphills I practically coasted.) This is with a high-rise shell and 500-800lb of gear on board.

SGV

Adventurer
I am currently driving a 4Runner with the 3.4 Auto in it and my wife's dad has a Tacoma Extended Cab with the 2.7 Manual. While his truck does fine in the low gears, it gets a bit wheezy on the highway. It does decent with a light load (hauling furniture), but forget about uphills on the highway. I am not sure of the gearing, but it is lower than my 4.56. I have borrowed it for days at a time, and if anything, it seems to get worse mpg than my 4Runner. I have been averaging about 20 mpg with mostly highway driving. Driving them back to back, you can definitely feel advantage of the 6-cylinder and I don't think there is a huge price difference either between the two in the used market. This all being said, I do enjoy driving it and don't notice any problems with the power in average city driving.

dustboy

Explorer
I have to agree with the majority here, the weight of a fwc is nothing to sneeze at, then you add gear, supplies and passengers. Even the v6 is working hard on tall hills. My setup is relatively light and I'm not in a big hurry when on a trip, so the 2.7 is fine for me.

ryguy

Adventurer
I had a 06 reg cab 2.7L 4x4 ome lift frt & rr on 265/75r16 a/t's and it was a constant battle driving in the hills of west virginia. The power is adequet stock with no added weight but that motor just hates hills. Also the clutch really wore me out on long trips. Go with the v6, the 5vz is one of the best motors toyota ever made in my opinion.

abeaudin1971

Adventurer
Is this for real? There are 2.7's up through '09?

Yep - first year in Canada for a while - since I don't haul a ton of stuff (my exploration tends to be rock climbing trips) I didn't need a v6 per se.

It's not a rocket but I had an old 89 2wd with a 22R previously and this truck is much faster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles