2000w Inverter Charger price choke

ripperj

Explorer
Thanks, I had been looking on Ebay, I decided I wasn't willing to risk it. I work right next to a Defender, and got mine on sale cheaper than I could get it on line. I wanted a warranty. I really like the features of the Xantrax Freedom 1800 HF for the money, but all the sites that I checked for reviews indicted that too many fail immediately, all get replaced under warranty, but I don't have time for that nonsense .

Sent from my Passport

Joe917

Explorer
You are correct. The amps shown on the Magnum display are only during inverting and charging, so to really know what is going on you need a battery monitor with a shunt.
I highly recommend Trimetric.

ripperj

Explorer
Thanks for the confirmation, I am wiring the DC to the charger today, I will put some lugs for a shunt in the Negative and some for a T class fuse in the positive. Right now I have a 200amp Blue Sea battery terminal fuse that I will use for testing. I can just bolt the shunt lugs together for now.
I have heard good things about the Trimetic and will check it out.
Sent from my Passport

ripperj

Explorer
Got the inverter fired up tonight, no smoke :), all seems well , I was a bit surprised that is was a bit noisy, I had found a few reviews that I thought said it was quiet.( might be thinking of the Xantrex Freedom HF??)

zelatore

Explorer
I've installed plenty of inverters in 2000-4000w size range and the last 2 were both Magnums. Hard to beat them on a dollar per watt basis and I've never had one fail. For the smaller stuff under 2000w I usually go with Xantrex ProSine, but I haven't needed something in that size range in a couple years. These day's most of what you find is Xantrex as they bought up a lot of the competition some years back.

On the cheaper/smaller end, I've installed a couple Kisae inverters with no problems so far, but the longest I've had one in the field is the little 1000w in my work van for the last couple years so I can't give a total recommendation on them just yet. The price is right though.

ripperj

Explorer
So I found out a cool thing from Magnum yesterday-even though the 1212 inverter does not have the correct connector port to be compatible with their battery monitor (ME-BMK) according to the BMK manual, a normal phone cable splitter will allow the remote and the BMK to be plugged into the same port.
The BMK kit is a 50mV/500amp shunt with black box and wires. Basically a Trimetric that reads out on the Magnum remote display.
Similar money to the older Trimetric with shunt, or the 2030 without shunt.$170ish.
The 2030 does have a couple features that I would get if I had known and bought the newer ARC Magnum remote. Total time since last full charge is one, not a big deal.
Seems like a compact solution

Sent from my Passport

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94