2000 Toyota Tundra

HAFICON

Adventurer
Hello,

I am about to possibly make a move into a TRD Tundra has 208,000 on the clock and is super clean. Any thing to look out for advice? It is 100% stock I do not plan on using it for anything other than towing my little camper and daily driver. Coming out of a heavy bully 2012 JKU.

James

KTempleton

Observer
Timing belt and new lower ball joints. OEM only. Many aftermarket brands are known to fail and results aren't pretty. Check for rust. Especially on the frame

HAFICON

Adventurer
Yea frame inspection is gonna be done I am pretty picky about that.. I found a Greta looking Tacoma but frame was bad.

Laps

I had a year 2000 Tundra and it was a piece of junk, wiring issues, terrible gas mileage, rust, etc.

Kpack

Adventurer
What KTempleton said. Other than that, general maintenance items like changing the fluids, tires, etc. One thing to note is that some of the earlier Tundra's had issues with the transmission...I believe it was the planetary gears that failed. Usually it happened earlier on.

D

Deleted member 9101

I put 258k on a 2002 Tundra. Other than crappy fuel economy and lack luster towing power it was a great truck.

You can upgrade to the newer/larger calipers and a Sequioa front sway bar for a better driving experience.

Kpack

Adventurer
I put 258k on a 2002 Tundra. Other than crappy fuel economy and lack luster towing power it was a great truck.

You can upgrade to the newer/larger calipers and a Sequioa front sway bar for a better driving experience.
Amen to the fuel economy. 14 mpg on a normal day and 6 mpg when I tow. It's like hooking up the boat opens up a second fuel line....one line going to the engine and the other dumping gas on the road. It's amazing how fast that fuel needle moves when towing.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Alright thanks for the input, coming out of a JKU on 35s and 4.88s I have felt with 13mpg daily driver for 7 years. Fuel economy is not such a concern. I may look into a newer Tacoma I had a 2008 and loved it... just have to wait and see..

trailscape

Explorer
Ball joints, steering rack, CV axles, timing belt replacement.

I had a 2002 and now a 2006. Above were the the needed repairs on both.

Doesn't hurt to take a good look at the upper and lower control arm bushings. Check for any broken leaf springs.

SC T100

Adventurer
Amen to the fuel economy. 14 mpg on a normal day and 6 mpg when I tow. It's like hooking up the boat opens up a second fuel line....one line going to the engine and the other dumping gas on the road. It's amazing how fast that fuel needle moves when towing.

Man, how heavy is the boat? I got 9mpgs towing at or close to max (built Jeep Cherokee rock crawler with the interior filled with stuff on a U-Haul flatbed trailer, with three people and road trip stuff) on a longish trip not too long ago. Southeast areas, so long rolling hills and lots of downshifting (O/D off), but no monster passes. I match your 14-ish average for pretty much everything else.

But yeah, frame rust, replace lower and upper ball joints (OEM ONLY), and make sure the trans oil is good.

Kpack

Adventurer
Man, how heavy is the boat? I got 9mpgs towing at or close to max (built Jeep Cherokee rock crawler with the interior filled with stuff on a U-Haul flatbed trailer, with three people and road trip stuff) on a longish trip not too long ago. Southeast areas, so long rolling hills and lots of downshifting (O/D off), but no monster passes. I match your 14-ish average for pretty much everything else.

But yeah, frame rust, replace lower and upper ball joints (OEM ONLY), and make sure the trans oil is good.
The boat+trailer is probably around 5K, which is at the limits for the truck. I haven't weighed it to get an exact number. But where I'm driving has lots of uphill....coming back from the river is over a dozen miles of solid grade, no letting up. Plus my truck has 33's and probably close to 500lbs in armor and winch.

bkg

Explorer
The boat+trailer is probably around 5K, which is at the limits for the truck. I haven't weighed it to get an exact number. But where I'm driving has lots of uphill....coming back from the river is over a dozen miles of solid grade, no letting up. Plus my truck has 33's and probably close to 500lbs in armor and winch.
are you hand calculating with correction for tires? Shoot... my 06 would get 9-11 towing 6k+ worth of trailer/4runner.

Kpack

Adventurer
are you hand calculating with correction for tires? Shoot... my 06 would get 9-11 towing 6k+ worth of trailer/4runner.
According to what I've read, with my tire size I should add about 1 mpg. So probably closer to 8 mpg on a normal day of towing. I forgot to add that there was some headwind when I got 6 mpg. Normally I've gotten a bit above 7 before compensating for tire size.

bkg

Explorer
Should be a percentage. Couple of calls out there that work well. I use the one on 1010tires a bit.

But, still seems low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles