2000 Tacoma Reg Cab

WillBeck

Adventurer
Now to put on the new to me flares...

The "Pad, Body Outside" as Toyota calls it, comes with a thin strip of self adhesive foam on the back side. I decided to put the pad on before i installed the flares, but i have a feeling at the factory they put the flare on first, slide the pad in, then remove the adhesive backing. Doing it my way was tedious, and it wanted to keep rolling under even though i peeled and stuck as i went. I can't imagine anyone in a factory getting paid to take as long to install them as i did, so there has to be a better way.

I did the front two flares first, and there was about 4" of extra pad. Trimmed it off, no big deal. However, the front flares are substantially smaller than the rears. Doubtfully less than the 4" of leftover i had. This is where i realized that there must be a different part # for the rear. After installing the pad on the rear flares, i had about 3" of flare left without pad. Luckily i saved the 4" cutoffs from the front, and was able to bridge the gap. I would recommend finding the rear part # and ordering two front, two rear, or just four rear ones. Doesn't really make a difference in the long run i imagine, but i kind of wish the pad were one continuous piece.

At first i tried installing the flares without the Scotch double sided tape, but the holes don't all line up perfectly (within an 8th of an inch, but not perfect) so the flares didn't really want to sit exactly right in the front. Pulled them back off, slapped on the sticky tape, and now they're fine.

DSC_0055_zpsazoqmqcx.jpg

DSC_0056_zps3g1bk76z.jpg

DSC_0058_zps29ckbtjm.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
The coverage on my tires is now much better. Not to mention the truck looks a little more modern, and more aggressive. Had to trim my mudflap a little in the rear to clear the flares as well. I wonder if the 01-04's have different flaps or brackets?

Before
DSC_0059_zpsverdzjrx.jpg

After
DSC_0060_zpskgx5ctdz.jpg

DSC_0068_zpsinhknirr.jpg

DSC_0069_zpsjizapt9n.jpg

DSC_0070_zpsoqkgjh9i.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
Also ordered 2.5x10" King piggyback shocks for the rear. I'm trying to purchase the rear shock relocation kit from Solo, but every time I call, they take my info and say their order/invoice guy is going to call me back, but never do. May just have to go to the shop personally. They must be busy.

Also snagged a set of Deaver J59 rear leaves locally in basically new condition. As soon as I get around to picking up new shackles and bushings along with extended braided steel brake lines, I'll get the rear suspension buttoned up.

I need sliders, and I need a new rear bumper. The the factory chrome one is a little dented, plus I'm not a fan of chrome.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Thanks guys!!

I think the flares were an about 50% functional need for wheel coverage, and 50% for looks.

At this point i'm trying to decide on shelter. Tent camping on the ground is for the birds. Sand, dust, dirt, it's just so hard to stay clean.

I don't mind camper shells, but the headroom is marginal. I like the ARE MX series, as it's not too tall, but that extra 6" or so makes a nice difference. I like the roof top tent idea, but i would have to leave it on the truck full time, as i don't really have the facilities to store it, or easily take it on and off. I don't want it stolen off the back of my truck.

That brings me to a Flippac, or a Wildernest. They seem to be the best combination of a camper shell, and a RTT. This truck is being built for 70% expo travel, and camping in relatively established campgrounds. The other 30% of it's use will be high speed offroad, at least to the extent that the suspension travel and wheel base will allow. For this reason, anything and everything will need to be very secure, and durable to vibration, and jolting impact. Does anyone have input into which of these might be better suited for high speed offroad? I'm guessing both have similar centers of gravity when stored as well?

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
Truck is looking good! In my head one thing I keep thinking of is weight. I'm not sure about the weight of a flippac or wildernest but the RTT I recently got isn't too bad. As far as high speed I've seen pics of defconbrix and blackdawg barreling down open trails with a low slung RTT mounted in the bed which would be my choice to keep the COG down(? correct me if I'm wrong) for high speed runs.

Also may have missed it but where did you order your headlights from? I need a replacement set and having trouble finding a reliable set other than OEM ones

WillBeck

Adventurer
Yeah, weight is definitely an issue with the 2.7 lol, but I assume with any kind of rack system, plus the weight of a RTT can't be too much lighter than a fiberglass flippac or wildernest.

Honestly don't know where my headlights came from. I have a buddy that does retrofits, and gets good deals on housings so I just got mine from him. Likely they are made by depot. I'm sure the clear Ebay replacements would do you fine.

2scars

Adventurer
I had factory 4.30s in my 4 cyl and it was no problem HOLDING speed and carrying weight. Just don't think its a drag car and you won't be disappointed.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Well mine is 4:10's because it's 5spd. It can hold speed, but mountain inclines are hard in 5th. I frequently have to downshift, which isn't really a problem. I'm not complaining about the power by any means, but once I add bumpers, sliders, and skids, it's going to be noticeable.

2scars

Adventurer
Mine was a 5 speed also, just something spec-ed when it was built, or thats how the 04s came. I thought it was really manageable.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Oh interesting, may have to look into that. 4:30's would be a really nice compromise vs going to 4:56 or 4:88's.

Also got ahold of Solo Motorsports this morning. Ordered the rear shock hoop, and they're thinking it should be ready for pickup by next week sometime. Got my tracking number from Downsouth Motorsports for my rear King shocks. Really excited to wrap up the rear suspension.

For anyone curious, this is the rear shock setup that i'm getting from Solo;

DSC_0029-300x201.jpg
DSC_0025-300x201.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles