2000 Tacoma Reg Cab

WillBeck

Adventurer
Hi guys,

recently purchased a 2000 Reg Cab, 4x4, 5spd. Literally manual everything, down to the hubs. This will be a slow boring build thread, with an abundance of pictures.

To start, i'll mostly be doing maintenance, and correcting any possible issues that might effect reliability.

Once all that is done, it will be getting a mild mid-travel setup, becoming the expo rig for my gf and I.

Here are some pictures....

DSC_0017_zpsyro9v0p0.jpg

DSC_0025_zpszdze95o7.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsklduaffr.jpg

DSC_0029_zpsvt67lkk0.jpg

DSC_0030_zpsrh78de1w.jpg

DSC_0031_zpsp81wtbja.jpg

This is gonna need a good cleaning...
DSC_0035_zpskeabgply.jpg

Like i said, manual everything :)
DSC_0027_zpsgay2wgud.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
New plugs and wires, courtesy of the local Toyota dealer.
DSC_0036_zpsgfr7tyya.jpg

New front brakes. When i order coilovers and new UCA's, i'll take the time to completely de-grease, clean and re-paint anything within a reasonable distance.

DSC_0020_zpsxp6p8cuw.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsjphfmo9u.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
Picked up a set of Kings for the front. Going to drop them off at King for a rebuild before i install. Still searching for a set of UCA's. Found a great deal on a set of used Icon's, but that may not happen :( Otherwise it is between TC and Camburg, leaning towards Camburg.

DSC_0017_zpsc7gfsyny.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsbiiljmsr.jpg

DSC_0019_zpsnmlkjwvd.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsnakopdt8.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
Installed a switch panel where the cd storage tray would normally go. Saving my pennies for an sPod to run all accessories.

DSC_0023_zps8spguvwz.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
Nice truck! Very clean! Keep the tires near stock size and you'll keep the mpgs, your truck will go anywhere with a nice set out tires!

WillBeck

Adventurer
Thanks!

I plan on going up in size slightly, just because ground clearance is at a premium right now, but noting crazy. Maybe a 265/75/16

2scars

Adventurer
I find the 265/75-16 to be a great mix of on highway economy and offroad performance. Be sure to not go too aggressive and you should be in the 19-20 mpg range, my 04 was.

My 03 v6 is 18 with stock size, I am still on the first rank with the 265/75, I am optimistic about how it will work out.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Nice Truck. My 01 with a high rise cap and 265/75R16 E rated tires gets 22mpg in the summer. Nevermind the winter. These little trucks fit anywhere and everywhere!!! Oh and just for kicks, I'll mention I've been all over, through mud, up rock slabs, dragging wood, everything with stock suspension with only a pair of helper springs. Been working fine for 145,000 miles. I did finally replace the front springs with Monroe preset coils. I couldn't afford aftermarket stuff and frankly, I have been happy this long. With your suspension mods, it should be great.

Enjoy,
jorge

WillBeck

Adventurer
I spend a lot of time in the desert, my parents live near Joshua Tree. Mobbing down dirt roads with anything less than good shocks just takes the fun out of it. I also have a lot of friends that frequent Baja, and i'd like to at least try to be able to keep up if need be.

I don't plan on lifting it much, just enough to clear tires if i have to.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
That's a really nice example, and my favorite configuration!

If you want to go taller with the tires, you might consider 235/85R16. They give you nice height but don't push as much air around as the 265s and really slice through the mud, dust, water, etc.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Coilovers and Camburg upper arms installed. Still on the hunt for a set of rear leafs. Still need to get around to cleaning everything up. I just got so frustrated with that dang upper ball joint, it didn't leave much time for anything other than swearing haha

DSC_0299_zpsheazmsaz.jpg

DSC_0298_zpslqoljlbb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles