2000 Tacoma Reg Cab

ebbs

Observer
I've got a '99 Manual everything as well, only mine is a V6 and extra-cab. I'll be keeping an eye on your build! but I like the way your mind works, fix/clean, then build. Clean look'n truck

WillBeck

Adventurer
I've got a '99 Manual everything as well, only mine is a V6 and extra-cab. I'll be keeping an eye on your build! but I like the way your mind works, fix/clean, then build. Clean look'n truck

Manual everything is the best way to go. Less stuff you have to worry about quitting on you if it gets wet, or unplugged etc lol

WillBeck

Adventurer
Sold the camper shell, i really just liked the Leer one i had so much more. Will possibly order a new one when the time is right, if another doesn't fall into my lap.

Also finally got around to picking up tires so i could mount my ************ new wheels from SCS :D

DSC_0298_zpsqeg9quig.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
Picked up some new headlights. Was going to have some retrofits done by my friend Tony @ Bajahid.com, but i just wasn't feeling the way they looked on this truck. We decided to just stick with standard clear housings, and I'm going to try out some LED bulbs. Really cleaned up the front of the truck. My 15 year old lenses and bulbs were about as bright as a few fireflies in a jar.

The front ride height is at about stock, and with the new tires, and 3.5" backspacing on the SCS's, i was rubbing like a madman on the mudflap bolts. Time to raise up the front. I started with 3/4" preload. Will see how it goes from there.

Also took a few minutes to paint the ugly axle ends peeking out the center of the rear wheels. I want to eventually swap to rear discs, so i didn't bother doing anything special with the drums.

DSC_0302_zpsgx19n7sa.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
Threw one of my wheels into the bed to see what it would look like with the spare there. Really liking it, has kind of an old school Hilux vibe too it, and doesn't block rear view too badly. Took the opportunity to drop the kings out and see what kind of real world travel i'm getting with the Camburg uppers. Measured out to nearly exactly 10". Doubt my little 4.5" travel Kings will cycle that much, but i could if they do :)

DSC_0304_zpssp7gyxv7.jpg

DSC_0305_zpsz32putr4.jpg

DSC_0306_zpsnnu6aaex.jpg

DSC_0311_zpsa5jrzaik.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
This is seriously the best $35 i've ever spent. Can finally adjust the coilovers on the truck. Ride height adjustments have never been this easy. 10" of mind blowing front suspension travel. TT/Class 1 here i come!

DSC_0317_zpsziuhx3rb.jpg

DSC_0318_zps2pedb5lr.jpg

DSC_0320_zpskfgndtg2.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
And since my buddy Rick and I are lazy bums, not only working under a shade awning, we dragged out the portable AC for a fresh breeze while wrenching.... lol spoiled Californian i guess.

DSC_0321_zpsr1bkecwu.jpg

bijanjames

Adventurer
I had 3 1st Gen Tacoma's including a 2000 Reg Cab. Loved that truck! 4:11 gears, manual hubs, perfect size. Wheeled the crap out of it. Great truck.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Trying to keep it clean.

Also need to decide on coughing up the dough for factory fender flares, or going with bushwhackers... But it definitely needs flares.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Looks great! Very clean. What size tires you end with?

Took the advice given here and stuck to 265/75's. It is obviously slower accelerating now, but it feels like the shifts are back where they need to be, and I can cruise at 40mph in 4th, which was impossible before.

America's Tire pumped these up to 35psi, which with the E load rating was way stiff. Lowered them down to 30, and it feels much better. However the door sticker says 26 front, 29 rear. It also says the stock tire size was 225/75. It has 235/75's on it, and the spare was a 265/75.... So who knows lol.

Last edited:

WillBeck

Adventurer
Spent most of the weekend painting and installing a set of 01-04 fender flares i managed to snag from someone who's truck was totaled with front end damage. Mine just had the DLX fender trim, and with the new wheels and tires, i wasn't a big fan of the tire/fender relationship. Should help cut down on water being thrown in the rain, and mud, rocks etc from being whipped at my elbows while driving offroad.

My GF was super impressed by my genius idea to wash them in the tub. Once I got the flares clean, i grabbed some satin black paint, and spent an evening putting a few coats on one of the front flares, as they are smaller and wouldn't waste as much paint if i didn't like them. Ended up being a good call, because it was more gloss than not, and every flaw, nick, and scratch showed through brilliantly. Time for plan B.... Plastidip. Worked awesome. Even has some nice little texture to it. Will be relatively easy to touch up from trail scuffs.

DSC_0026_zpsbgptgps0.jpg

Also, i ordered new flare pads online. Took some searching, and digging around, but i was able to find part # 75696-35020. I thought this was for the rear fenders, and would be longer than needed for all of them, so i ordered four. More on this mishap later.... Also, since i don't have the pre-punched holes in my fenders, but still wanted a little more piece of mind, i grabbed some "EXTREMELY STRONG" Scotch double sided tape. We will see how that claim holds up over time.

DSC_0054_zpsb5z0n4yd.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
Before i could install the new flares, i had to take off my dinky OE DLX chrome baby flares. More like cholo fender trim than anything else, but a 10mm wrench and some time, and they were off. Not surprisingly, the fender behind it was filthy with 15 years of dirt and dust. These wonderful flares are up for sale if anyone wants them. I'll hold onto them for a while, but they'll eventually go in the trash.

Took a little simple green, water, and quick detailer to clean up the paint. The old trim doesn't have any pads, so there's a wonderful scar in the clear coat on all four corners now. Not a big deal, its not through the paint so it won't rust, and will be more than hidden by the new flares.

DSC_0030_zps4tynd3b6.jpg

DSC_0033_zpsffuwiqdw.jpg

DSC_0036_zpswqcef2sa.jpg

DSC_0045_zps6ifaninr.jpg

DSC_0046_zpsz3al7vch.jpg

DSC_0051_zpsgvkvg1ve.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles