2000 Super Duty ; Who is running ARB OME suspension?

beef tits

Hi All!

I've got a 2000 7.3 F250 with a few modifications. Suspension is stock. Has plenty of clearance at factory height but the springs are STIFF.

I went up Argentine Pass over the weekend. Not difficult at all, technically speaking, but holy moly this truck is a rough ride... handles like a buckboard off-road... it's intolerable! I read one good review on the OME setup, but I'm looking to back that info up... Is anyone else running this suspension? I'm looking for some good input before I gamble and drop $2k on it!

VroomSIX

I don't have personal experience with OME, but they come very highly regarded in Overland circles. Really though the problem you have is a spring issue. Those trucks are sprung from the factory to be loaded. Once there's weight in the truck they really mellow the ride out. I would look into different springs and maybe some airbags or Timbren bump stops for the rear for when you do want to carry some weight. Obviously, the factory shocks are also a compromise and can be vastly improved with aftermarket units. Either way there's always an improvement to be had from upgrading suspension systems. I'm sure other people with your truck will chime in with some OME experience. I believe EXPO's own Scott Brady runs a OME system on his Excursion which is very similar to your F250. Try to search for an article from this site where he goes over the OME suspension upgrade on his truck. (y)

I have a 2004 CC long bed Power Stroke. I put OME front springs and shocks with the OME tracbar in about 6 months back. The ride is much better, no more hard hits form pot holes it floats down the road. Off-road flex is better so you don't spin as easy and if you hit a hole or something it flexes not just a hard hit like before. My wife said it was so much better on road no harsh hits any more. I am going to put the rear springs in soon I am hoping in makes as much improvement in the back as the front.

Weeds

Adventurer
Did you air down the tires when offroad? I run 35 to 40 psi when on gravel. I have not changed the springs because of trailer hauling, but I did change to Rancho 7000 shocks at 40,000 miles. My truck only has 83,000 miles now and the shocks are still good.

beef tits

Thanks, good to hear!

I realize the truck rides rough because it is unloaded, this wouldn't effect the front as much as the rear, however. It's mostly the front end that is rough as hell. I do have Bilstein HD shocks and an ARB bumper/ Warn M12 up front which should add some weight there. (450 lbs or so)

The ARB springs have way more leaf packs and they are all thinner. It appears they'll hold the same weight but also have way more give. If I do go this route, I'd be going with the full kit front and rear, with the extra ARB leaf in the rear for when I have the camper in.

beef tits

I run 285/75/16s and currently see no need for anything bigger. Maybe 35s if I feel crazy one day. It would be nice to have a little more capacity though, my current tires rub the leaf springs on one side at a full turn.

I am not a fan of lift kits. I don't think they do much at all. Larger tires are helpful however, and obviously larger tires require more lift... to a certain point. In my experience, a locker will get you 10x more places than any lift kit will. Same goes for a winch. Way better investments.

What I am primarily looking for in the ARB kit is a smoother ride off-road, and on, if possible.

Last edited:
I am running 315-75-16 with the OME spring the only rub is at full lock and they rub on the spring so a wheel size issue not tire size. Like I said the ride is much better on road with just the front springs.

beef tits

I am running 315-75-16 with the OME spring the only rub is at full lock and they rub on the spring so a wheel size issue not tire size. Like I said the ride is much better on road with just the front springs.

Good to know, I'm getting quotes from several local ARB dealers for the full kit front and rear! Planning to put it on with a set of OUO traction bars and one of the ARB add-a-leafs in the rear for hauling the camper.

Are you on stock wheels?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
It's too bad Carli doesn't offer anything for the leaf sprung Fords. I've ridden in a newer one with the Carli pintop and it's Cadillac.
I would think after 18 years the stock negative springs would be seriously compromised.
It's good OME offers products for you.

Betarocker

Adventurer
Watch the video in the link below. It explains the basics of suspension and what your limitations are based on the design. Then YOU can figure out what will work best for you so you can get the best bang for the buck.

I am not a fan of emulsion shocks, especially when they have a small diameter piston of 2" or less. If remote reservoir shocks are out of your price range, consider something that has a floating internal piston to keep the oil and nitrogen separated. Emulsion shocks will aerate and the damping (both compression and rebound) get less effective.

beef tits

It's too bad Carli doesn't offer anything for the leaf sprung Fords. I've ridden in a newer one with the Carli pintop and it's Cadillac.
I would think after 18 years the stock negative springs would be seriously compromised.
It's good OME offers products for you.

The front springs were shot, and I actually replaced them like-for-like. It made the ride even worse off road! It's so damn stiff man! I'm not familiar with Carli but I am with the newer Fords. Very nice trucks, very unreliable and difficult to work on engines! The creature comforts of the new ones are pretty great but I don't want to deal with the motor issues or the $1k/each injectors once they go bad!

Desert Rider

Observer
Since I recently installed taller (285/75/17 Cooper ST Maxx) tires on my 1999 4x4 Diesel Super Duty, I decided that I wanted to get a 3-4" lift. Currently, I have a Four Wheel Camper (Hawk), which weighs about 1400 lbs and stays on my truck full time.

I ordered a set of 2" front springs from Atlas Suspension, which will be installed onto my current setup: leveling kit (about 2" hangers). I should get a total of about 3-4" lift up front.

For the rear, I will go with the factory 1-ton blocks (~4" spacer already installed), plus another 1" spacer (already installed), plus an add-a-leaf spring. This extra spring should raise the current height about 1.5" and help with the extra weight of the camper. I also have factory overload springs on the rear of the truck.

My intent is a get a total lift of 3-4" in the front/rear, and still keep a slight rake on the truck. We'll see...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94