2000 Super Duty CC SB 7.3: Alum-line flatbed and installation

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Did you happen to find a data sheet for the fuel filler and vent hose?
I'm still curious if they even used a fuel rated hose.
I believe the fuel rated is red lined as I can see in your photos, but Id certainly confirm its rated.

The fuel rated filler hoses that I used for my custom bed were not silicone.
Its a thick, steel reinforced fuel filler hose. Not terribly flexible, or cheap... sold by the inch :rolleyes:
Vent hoses are just large (properly sized ;) ) fuel hose.

I used mid 90's Ford Ranger fuel fillers as I recall, all cobbled together with an assortment of brass fittings to adapt to the wacky 2011 Superduty OEM sizes

48515866166_05ab8c22b3_b.jpg

48164991156_4f6a6fe945_b.jpg

cbattles

Chris Battles
Did you happen to find a data sheet for the fuel filler and vent hose?
I'm still curious if they even used a fuel rated hose.
I believe the fuel rated is red lined as I can see in your photos, but Id certainly confirm its rated.

I'm glad you asked. I hadn't even looked into it because I couldn't reuse them no matter what.

It does not appear to be fuel rated. It's sold as coolant hose: http://www.federalhose.com/index.cfm?action=product&PID=51

Attachments

• 20210805_132755.jpg
    20210805_132755.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210805_132807.jpg
    20210805_132807.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 13
  • COOLANT HOSE 3 PLY3.pdf
    137.2 KB · Views: 0

cbattles

Chris Battles
In the ongoing saga, I was just notified yesterday of Gary Goodson's (Alum-line president) response to my BBB complaint. Some excerpts:
  • "We had addressed the concerns of the customer and found that all his concerns are with the tolerances of our work."
  • "None of this work was unacceptable quality and install the same as other customers we do every week."
  • "The product and installation the customer received is of good quality and he has no valid reason to be concerned with his purchase."
  • "We did not refuse to fix anything."
I thought it was particularly interesting to note that they are both refusing to acknowledge that anything needed fixed and also somehow not refusing fix anything. To me, those seem like mutually exclusive sentiments.

As an aside, it just seems insane that this is the response that they're giving me. In my opinion, this isn't in any sort of gray area, it's objectively horrible workmanship. But despite that, the president of the company would rather say "it's fine, all of our work is exactly that bad" than just admit that there are issues and take responsibility for them. That attitude, especially coming from the very top, says much worse things about the company than anything else.

Last edited:

cbattles

Chris Battles
WOW is all I can say.

That alone is a serious safety issue, and in most instances would likely lawsuit be material.

Yeah, I don't understand how these guys have been around for 30 years and there aren't horror stories about them everywhere you look.

Absolutely ridiculous response from the President of the company. I’m sure if Mr. Goodson looked underneath his newly bought truck off the showroom floor and saw those hacksaw cuts and improper material used, he’d be singing a different tune. Alumline is showing their true colors when it comes to business ethics. Amazing.

Last edited:

Alloy

Absolutely ridiculous response from the President of the company. I’m sure if Mr. Goodson looked underneath his newly bought truck off the showroom floor and saw those hacksaw cuts and improper material used, he’d be singing a different tune. Alumline is showing their true colors when it comes to business ethics. Amazing.

Mr. Goodson wouldn't let the guy that installed this deck anywhere near his truck.

Coolant hose for fuel screems of a lack of experience and supervision.

NTSB should know about the hose.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Though there is never a great excuse for such a poorly executed and unsafe install, it's hard to find skilled employees currently so I can see how an unskilled and uncaring employee (would have to be both for such a poorly-executed install) could complete a few of these bad installs before being noticed and dealt with (trained or let go). But...that quality of work should not be common, not continue once identified, and definitely not be a typical install. And it should appall the company that it happened and be immediately, and apologetically, remedied. Here, we see the official, from-the-top-reaction is just the opposite. I'm embarrassed for them. Alum-Line had an opportunity to remedy a mess up and instead they state this is their best effort and the install quality that all customers can expect to receive.

Sorry you went through this but I thank you for documenting the experience and for filing with BBB. The images speak for themselves and, even without your description, the issues are clear and easy to see. I don't see a plausible way that any individual, particularly anyone from the company and so presumably familiar with how a tray should be installed, could honestly say they don't see anything wrong. Gary Gooder had an opportunity to lead by example for his downline, identify this as unacceptable work (which it is) and correct their mistakes. Instead, he argued that this caliber of work is normal and acceptable, which, if that is the case, brings shame on Alum-Line because it is clearly not an install that any customer should accept. It is not a sound install for the intended use of a flatbed (carrying heavy payload) and the use of improper materials and install technique for the fuel filler and breather is literally unsafe.

I'm crossing Alum-Line off my list of potential flatbed manufacturers when I buy a flatbed for the my next pickup (will be ordering a 2023) as I can clearly see from those images that the install was incorrect and the fuel filler install unsafe and worse yet, the official reaction from the highest level of the company indicates that this lack of quality is not only acceptable to them but that future customers should expect the same. For me, this is not acceptable quality so they will no longer be considered when I buy my flatbed.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
I looked up Alum-Line on BBB and there is only one review and two complaints. One of the two incidents are hidden and the other two are not related to this situation, so perhaps the hidden complaint is the one. I'll be interested to see if the BBB every makes it viewable.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
@cbattles
Wow, that's a ******** show. Sorry for you and having to deal with all of that. I was interested in their beds primarily because they offer some of the tapered/angled under bed boxes, but there's no way I'd give that company my money. I kinda wonder, overall build quality seems mediocre(unfortunately not unusual), if they didn't do such a total crap job on the install would the bed be alright and functional? I'd still stay clear of these guys after seeing how they conduct themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94