2000 Super Duty CC SB 7.3: Alum-line flatbed and installation

cbattles

Chris Battles
About a year and a half ago, I bought my 2000 F-250 crew cab short bed 7.3 from an owner in Arizona where it had spent the past 19 years, flew into Phoenix and drove it back to Ohio. It was a little tired, so since then I've been chipping away at a list of upgrades, fixes, and maintenance:

- Upgraded front and rear springs
- KC 300x turbo, FFD 180/30 injectors, 5" exhaust, custom 4" 6637 intake, PHP Tuner
- Basically everything that can be considered a wear part or maintenance has been replaced at this point

Until recently, I was running an ARE DCU cap and the normal bed, both of which had seen some serious use, but worked well for a while. This is in Colorado, its first hunting trip:
20191019_182433.jpg

I planned to go with a flatbed and add a truck camper. As I was researching my options, I found and fell in love with this truck: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...-camper-alumline-flat-bed.209035/post-2679778

So, I figured, Alumline for the win! I reached out to them and ordered a version of that exact bed, but made for my truck and I skipped the topside boxes. They're located in Cresco, IA and I'm over in Ohio, but I decided to drive over there to have them install it too and hopefully eliminate the possibility of anything going awry.

This past Monday I made the journey over to Cresco, they installed it on Tuesday and about 10 minutes before they closed, I was paying the balance due and heading out. My old bed was still solid which is hard to find in Ohio, so I asked them to load it upside down on the new bed for the trip home. Unfortunately the upside down part was lost in translation, but rather than make a fuss, I just strapped it down and figured I'd take my chances, no big deal.

Here it is on the way home:

messages_0.jpeg

Unfortunately, that's where this story turns south.

I stopped to fill my truck up, and it wouldn't take any fuel. At first, I thought there was something wrong with the pump because it kept kicking off, but I took a closer look at the truck. Now, I want to preface this by saying that I drove 12 hours straight to Cresco, slept in a crappy motel bed with an awful pillow, woke up at 6 AM to drop my truck off, and spent most of Tuesday in a daze. When I finally picked my truck up, they were almost ready to close, I was ready to get out of town, and I didn't think that I needed to crawl around on the ground and inspect everything, because they're experts, right?

Here's the reason that I couldn't get any fuel in the truck (kinked filler hose):

fill-hose-kinked.jpg

That event prompted me to start looking a little closer at everything else that they did, and start actually paying attention to what they did during the install. Keep in mind, up until this very moment, I was under the impression that I was dealing with a highly reputable and reliable company. Let's go deeper. Apparently, what they do when they install these on a frame that has a hump over the axle is just hog out the main bed supports, glue some rubber on the flats of the frame, sit the main bed support down on that rubber and then clamp it down with giant u-bolts. At least, that appears to be the idea, which is both a bad idea IMO, and also not at all what they actually accomplished:

support-cut-passenger.jpg

As you can see, it looks like they let a drifter practice on it with an angle grinder AND it also doesn't clear the hump in the frame. So, however bad of an idea it was to start with (to cut out the supports like that), they didn't even accomplish what they set out to. This basically just put the bed on a pivot point, where the front and rear edges of the cut are contacting the frame on the hump, and then the bed just rocked toward whichever u-bolt was tightened first. In this case, the bed pivoted toward the front on the passenger side. Here's the whole back half of the bed not even really touching the rubber that they apparently tried to glue to the top of the frame:

frame-gap-passenger-rear.jpg

It pivoted in the opposite direction on the driver side and clearly isn't touching the frame at all in the front half: frame-gap-driver-front.jpg

It's very easy to see how wonky this thing is in this picture:

WonkyBed.jpg

So, I write an email to Gary Gooder, Alum-line president, and try to be as non-confrontational as possible. I started with: "As I discovered on the way back to Ohio, there are serious issues with my installation. As a business owner, I know that sometimes "things happen", so I'm going to just present the facts and I'm including a link to a bunch of pictures."

And, I went on to document all of this even more comprehensively and with even more pictures than I have here. Our back and forth, went something like this:

- Me: Here are the facts and the serious issues.
- Gary: "I’ll get the installer to call you. Note that full power fuel usually can’t work with any trucks so you do need to back the speed down on that."
- Me: "I'm completely willing to talk to whoever actually did the work, but if they let it leave the shop like this, I'm not really sure what it's going to accomplish. If you were able to access the pictures, I trust that you can see the very obvious problems with the work. And, fast or slow, the filler hose is basically folded over the frame, but it's really the least of my concerns at this point."
- Gary: "We install several beds a week without any issues so i am concerned that you have issues. I know they told me your truck was in a little rough shape so we'll have to see what we find out."
- Me: "I don't know what they thought was in "rough shape". Yes, it's a 21 year old truck, but it spent the first 20 years of its life in Arizona. It's only just started to show some rust on the frame from the past year and half that it's been in Ohio. There is absolutely nothing on that truck that isn't rock solid."

As an aside: Keep in mind that in the pictures, you're seeing the last bit of undercoating flaking off, and the Ohio surface rust just starting to set in over the past year. In person, it's pretty obvious that this is in VERY good shape for a 20 year old truck.

- Gary: No response
- Me: "I just sent you some more pictures. Look at the alignment between the top of the front wall of the bed and the back window of the truck. It's very clearly high on the driver side and low on the passenger side in the front, and it's exactly the opposite in the back of the bed. The whole thing is just being twisted."

Now, on a phone call:

- Gary: You can't just measure it like that. We don't ask these guys to measure things with a laser.
- Me: Did you look at the pictures, does it look right to you?
- Gary: I'm not going to talk about it because I didn't do the install.
- Me: You're the president of the company and I paid you to do the install. It's not even touching the rubber on the frame. What was the rubber for, Gary?
- Gary: I'm not going to talk about the technical part. I'll send you the installers response.

Via email:

Installer's response: The bed is square to the cab. The notch outs are not structural. The u-bolt placement doesn't matter.

-----------------------------------

All said, I approached this company in good faith, and treated this guy with respect even after this fiasco, just looking for some reasonable outcome, and now apparently they've just chosen to pretend that everything is fine in the face of all evidence to the contrary. I'll have to completely redo the installation so I'm out the cost of the trip to Iowa, out the $1,000 that I paid them to install it, and as a cherry on top, I'm now installing a $5,245 bed with completely messed up main supports.

I guess the moral of the story is: buyer beware.

Superduty

Adventurer
That is a pathetic install. Looks like a major hack job to me. Very unprofessional.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I would probably get a local expert fabricator to opine that it is an inadequate installation. If you paid by credit card, I would reverse the install charges. If he comes after you, then you can deal with it in small claims court. It doesn't sound like you will get any satisfaction from them as they believe they did quality work.

Looks like you are going to need a forklift or someway to suspend the bed from the ceiling of a shop or garage. Then I would hack off all of those supports and tig weld new ones on.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Yikes, what a bunch of hacks--both technical ability & business practice. Sorry that happened for sure. Square cut corners on aluminum: yea that'll never crack, not structural at all, especially with good frame to frame contact for support like they achieved [sarcasm].

Seems the only way to go with their beds is to buy & install yourself--certainly counterintuitive there, and even then, diy build may be wiser anyway. >$5k to boot, man, that sucks.

cbattles

Chris Battles
Seems the only way to go with their beds is to buy & install yourself--certainly counterintuitive there, and even then, diy build may be wiser anyway. >$5k to boot, man, that sucks.

Honestly, they're overrated anyway. I feel like all of my other complaints absolutely pale in comparison and just come off as nitpicking, but the bed is absolutely not perfect. It's far from the worst that I've seen, but it's really not fantastic.

Some details of the bed itself...

The back panel is clearly bowed outward:

20210716_111123.jpg

The welds overall are okay, but there's general messiness throughout:

20210716_111237.jpg20210716_111138.jpg

They didn't even take the time to get the diamond plate set down in the channel totally evenly, you can see some lips throughout like in the bottom left of this picture:

20210716_111209.jpg

cbattles

Chris Battles
That is a pathetic install. Looks like a major hack job to me. Very unprofessional.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I would probably get a local expert fabricator to opine that it is an inadequate installation. If you paid by credit card, I would reverse the install charges.

Hack job for sure.

Good idea on the "independent expert". I have already started the process with Amex to dispute the install charge and separately, filed a complaint with the BBB.

I really think I'm entitled to a full refund of the install and a steep partial refund for the bed considering that now it's severely damaged, but I haven't even pursued the latter yet.

Superduty

Adventurer
So unfair when you spend hard earned money and wind up with a half ****** job like that.

I hate when i see this stuff happen to people.

Hopefully others will see this post and take their business elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

cbattles

Chris Battles
So unfair when you spend hard earned money and wind up with a half ****** job like that.

I hate when i see this stuff happen to people.

Hopefully others will see this post and take their business elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Agreed.

I know that stuff can slip through the cracks sometimes. This is absolutely, extremely bad, but I still gave Gary the opportunity to see it (and be appalled) and try to make it right.

Instead, he's refused to acknowledge that there's even a problem.

And, I'm all for giving someone the benefit of the doubt. But for the life of me, I can't understand how you could possibly look at those pictures and think it's even remotely acceptable.

cbattles

Chris Battles
They had to try in order to screw it up that bad.

Seems like it.

Coming up to the install, Gary told me "usually it takes a day, hopefully it doesn't run beyond that".

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what could possibly take a full day here? I know it's hard work hacking up truck beds, but...

Chris,

Sorry to hear about your install issues. I had a similar experience but not as bad as yours. They didn't hacksaw my flatbed like yours. I drove to Iowa from Colorado and had them install my bed and like you, I paid the balance 10 mins before they closed so didn't have time to inspect the work. I actually loosened all the bolts, labeled all the wires and pulled the rear bumper off before handing over my truck that morning. When I got back to Colorado, I noticed I could see light between the back bone of the flatbed and my frame. On closer inspection, they installed the bed resting on my 2.5 inch receiver hitch. The flatbed was only touching in 3 places, 2 points at the front of the bed and the receiver hitch. The truck frame didn't support the flatbed at all. I ended up pulling off the bed and doing the install correctly. I also got rid of the rat's nest and rewired all the LED lights. I don't have any complaints on the actually flatbed build. The welder that built my bed did a great job putting it together. Keep us posted on what ultimately happens.

Last edited:

cbattles

Chris Battles
Chris,

Sorry to hear about your install issues. I had a similar experience but not as bad as yours. They didn't hacksaw my flatbed like yours. I drove to Iowa from Colorado and had them install my bed and like you, I paid the balance 10 mins before they closed so didn't have time to inspect the work. When I got back to Colorado, I noticed I could see light between the back bone of the flatbed and my frame. On closer inspection, they installed the bed resting on my 2.5 inch receiver inch hitch. The truck frame didn't support the flatbed at all. I ended up pulling off the bed and doing the install correctly. I also got rid of the rat's nest and rewired all the LED light.

That's crazy! Was this on a cab/chassis truck? If not, I'm curious how they addressed the hump over the axle. I figured that they probably cut it on all frames that weren't flat.

Seems like return the truck right before we're locking the doors thing is standard operating procedure.

I'm "lucky" that the Alumline installer just threw the flatbed on the flame and U bolted it. The rear skirting was resting on the receiver hitch so the installer probably thought it was a perfect fit and didn't need to cut around any portions of the frame. It's not a CC so the frame rails aren't flat.
I pulled the flatbed off and cut strips of horse mat to build up the uneven portion of the frame to have the backbone lay flat and even.

Attachments

• A9A24A23-3A08-4C61-ADB7-CA292E3DAFE7.jpeg
    A9A24A23-3A08-4C61-ADB7-CA292E3DAFE7.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 74
  • 5B37C343-E1DD-493A-BDE4-90180AC51E0E.jpeg
    5B37C343-E1DD-493A-BDE4-90180AC51E0E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 73
  • 96B3C5DE-A7EE-4D73-8471-8C9F9BDD5426.jpeg
    96B3C5DE-A7EE-4D73-8471-8C9F9BDD5426.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

cbattles

Chris Battles
I'm "lucky" that the Alumline installer just threw the flatbed on the flame and U bolted it. The rear skirting was resting on the receiver hitch so the installer probably thought it was a perfect fit and didn't need to cut around any portions of the frame. It's not a CC so the frame rails aren't flat.
I pulled the flatbed off and cut strips of horse mat to build up the uneven portion of the frame to have the backbone lay flat and even.

Wow. So basically, their standard procedure is to eyeball it, cut it up if needed, lay it on, clamp it down, and send it out the door. It seems like there should be all sorts of horror stories floating around.

Gary said that they install 3 beds per week. That's scary.

There‘s plenty of unhappy customers out there if you look around. I consider myself lucky because of the higher build quality I received compared to most. I had mine made during the summer of 2020 so there was basically no business, so I don’t think it was a rush job. I would advise others to not have the Alumline “shop class” do the install!

Last edited:

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Sorry to hear about this. I too was considering Alumline but I hesitated because of some other members here experience. Too bad because they have some good welders and I've seen some pretty beds. I've heard of completely wrong dimensions, really bad installs, bad customer service etc. I ended up ordering a Scott agricultural platform style aluminum bed. I'll be piecemealing the boxes my self.. It landed today and I'll be inspecting it Monday. Best of luck. On the happy side it's a really nice bed and fixing this BS shouldn't be too hard a job for a good fab guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles