2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

bigdogyj

Have you thought about maybe an h1 suspension? Just thinking oit loud of different options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Have you thought about maybe an h1 suspension? Just thinking oit loud of different options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bigdogyj,

That's just crazy, oh wait, I think you read my mind. I have been thinking about that and slowly gathering the required parts. Have a 2002 Sierra with a 6.0, 4L80 and NP241. Have a RV/TOW cam for to be put into the 6.0. And I'm looking at surplus H1 rolling chassis on GovPlanet. Sometime in Feb or March I figured that I can get an H1, pull the body off it, put the 6.0, 4L80, and transfer case in it. Possibly run the 4L80 in full manual mode with a ratchet shifter and then drop my trusty Suburban body onto it. Wheelbase is the same so that should work, width is not too far off with fender flares 1.5" less on each side than H1 right now. And the only major modification I would have to d will be the dog house for the motor.

As of right now it's still in the dream phase. Sub is still my daily driver and I will need to find something new to replace it with before I take on that project. Maybe in the next few years it may become a reality. But as of right now it's just hopes and dreams at least until I find that surplus H1 rolling chassis at a descent price.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

Lykos

Super Trucker
Hey Drei,

Don't think going to a TTB would be a good idea. I'm not sure what your fab work is like, but that is a whole can of worms, and it's not a "few week" project unless you are full time on it and have a cnc/plasma table. Plus the stamped TTB setup is not really any stronger than a GM IFS (weaker in some ways, stronger than others).

All three 1500 burbs here are now on full mid-travel (BurbOne is currently going to a long travel setup- self designed- 10 inch king coilovers, I designed control arms etc.) I have an engineering/physics background with CNC and design ,as well as some decent fab/ welding practice. Doing this is significantly easier than "welding on" a TTB axle and it's taking me a lot of time to do it right and I have access to a plasma table, etc.

All of the 1500 Burbs with the atomic kit were converted over to a 2500 front diff and axles. Not one has broken a 2500 front diff or CV, even with a front locker and- no disrespect- some much more extreme/serious trails than your videos show.

In short just put in a 2500 axles and diff and call it a day. It is much stronger than the 1500, 10x easier and cheaper. and likely more than strong enough for you application

I've searched and can't find a quality write up installing a 2500 diff in a 1500. All I seem to findis the "just SAS it" answer when I ask anyone.

You wouldn't have links to a write up would you?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I've searched and can't find a quality write up installing a 2500 diff in a 1500. All I seem to findis the "just SAS it" answer when I ask anyone.

You wouldn't have links to a write up would you?

Lykos,

Search very well you did not, force is weak with you, LOL.

BurbOne did it, took pictures, and has a fantastic write up, best write up on the swap out there. Only caviat is that you need a diff drop lift kit to make this work.

Each one of the links is to different section of write up

This is the section of his thread where he has multiple steps, looks pretty straight forward, I think BurbOne did this swap with his BurbTwo and BurbThree trucks.

Hope this helps.

Burb One

Adventurer
As Drei mentioned- I did a write up where he linked. I think it's pretty clear, but let me know if you have any ?'s. I dont go on here much anymore, but if you post in my thread i'll get an email.

Short answer- with a 6 inch diff drop lift- 2500 diff fits in with very minimal fab work (literally just the front diff mount tab needs to be moved and driveshaft needs to be shortened. I'm not sure it's possible without a lift.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
As Drei mentioned- I did a write up where he linked. I think it's pretty clear, but let me know if you have any ?'s. I dont go on here much anymore, but if you post in my thread i'll get an email.

Short answer- with a 6 inch diff drop lift- 2500 diff fits in with very minimal fab work (literally just the front diff mount tab needs to be moved and driveshaft needs to be shortened. I'm not sure it's possible without a lift.

BurbOne,

When I went to 4.10 gears I accidentally picked up a 2500 front diff, tried bolting it up but could not get one of the tabs to line up. Pass side bolted up, top tab bolted up, bottom tab was way off. I wrestled with it for a few minutes until I realized that the drive shafts don't have the same bolt pattern and finally figured out that I picked up a wrong diff.

I am glad that you actually knew what you were doing when you swapped your 2500 diff in.

Overlandtowater

BurbOne,

When I went to 4.10 gears I accidentally picked up a 2500 front diff, tried bolting it up but could not get one of the tabs to line up. Pass side bolted up, top tab bolted up, bottom tab was way off. I wrestled with it for a few minutes until I realized that the drive shafts don't have the same bolt pattern and finally figured out that I picked up a wrong diff.

I am glad that you actually knew what you were doing when you swapped your 2500 diff in.
Drei you are still alive...……….this place has been dead...

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Drei you are still alive...……….this place has been dead...

dirtdobberoffroad,

Yup, still alive and kickin'. It's been a rough summer for me. New England is not as exciting to explore as the Southwest. I made a couple videos of some trails here this summer but I got a headache 10seconds into watching each one and did not upload them.

I'm going to try and do a couple fun videos and projects with the Sub in the next week or two, will try to post them and get some life back into this place, lol.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I'm still enjoying the heck out of this thread all these years later; keep up the great work Drei!

TwinDuro,

Thank you. I go back and read through the entire thread from the beginning once a year and still can't believe that I was able to pull this off and the fact that the truck still runs and to this day my daily driver. I want to do so much more to it but it's so dialed in right now that more would be taking away from what it is right now.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Halloween Pumkin Chunkin adventures with the kids.

All three got to pull the string on the trebuchet, however 18month old was not into it as much as the older two.

Boys tried their luck at the air cannon. Organizers ran out of big pumpkins so they loaded a handful of smaller ones into the cannon. One of the little ones actually hit the target.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Spending days using my Suburban to do yard work. This time I got a brush grubber BG-01 to help pull little trees utpo 2.5" diameter out. I cut them down earlier this year and mulched them. Tried pulling them out by wrapping a tow strap around them but that shredded my tow strap pretty quickly. Got this brush grubber and it seemed to work great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94