2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Nice work, you're making the right choice swapping all the cladding on, it's gonna be sweet!

Looks like the side window on burb hangs too low to get the avi taillights in there, maybe you can trim the tops of them down...
for a bolt on solution Escalade EXT quarter panel cladding might drop on, looks like they're built on the unclad Avalanche body...

nitro_rat,

I'm not a big fan of the Avi tail lights, I really like the yellow turn signal lenses in the Sub, kinda rare these days. Slowly working my way to the back of the truck, had a little snag up up with the wiring in the doors, still working it out, will move on to the cladding once the doors are on and working correctly.

Did not think about Escalade EXT, but will keep my eyes open for one to pop up at a decent price.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Love where this is heading. Are you doing any kind of under body coating to protect it from rust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoTxAg06,

I did not get a chance to spray the rust coat this fall. Will see how bad it ends up in the spring. Might just have to take the body off to sand and paint the entire frame this summer.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Avalanche door swap: part 2.

Rear doors went on relatively problem free. Power door locks open and close and door curtsy light is on, it's on all the time even when the doors are closed, so I pulled the light bulbs. Windows do not go up or down, but I will figure that out later. Front passenger door went on well too, however I ran into a snag with the wiring.

O59exmP.jpg

Left is my Sub window switch, right is the Avi window switch.

Sr2YlF3.jpg

Backs of both switches. When I hooked up Avi switches to the Avi door wiring and plugged them into Sub, nothing worked. No power windows, no door locks. Clearly the new switches are not compatible with the older wiring or canbus.

zSRL55p.jpg

I decided to rip the old front passenger door apart, take the wiring out and put it int the Avi door. That way all the hook ups are working.

WNPsz4P.jpg

Door wiring loom came out easily.

baCkmDA.jpg

Time to take the Avi door apart. couple of plastic trim pieces and 2 screws hold the panel on.

hwtWDCH.jpg

Once the plastic was removed all the wiring is exposed. 2003 on plastic is glued in with much lighter glue than the older trucks which all of mine were held in with windshield adhesive.

g97LFMU.jpg

Avi door wiring loom came out easy and pulling it through the door hole and the Sub body hole was the most challenging part.

9bqn47z.jpg

All the connectors from my Sub wiring harness fit the Avi plugs except this one, I think it's the off switch for auto down window function. I soldered the Avi connector onto the wiring harness.

p2kF9u2.jpg

Hooked up all the connectors and the Avi window and door locks worked as they should. Window did go up slowly so I will have to replace the wildow regulator motor in the near future, did not feel like messing with it today. I hooked the old Sub door to the wiring harness to lower the window so I could get my tinted glass out.

elMcADJ.jpg

Desert tint has grown on me, so I put that window into the Avi door.

5PZLs7q.jpg

Back to window switch dilemma. I plugged everything into the old switch but it doesn't quite fit with the different color door trim.

aLilhOp.jpg

Had to figure out how to get the old window and door lock switches into the new Avi door trim piece.

HaTDllx.jpg

With a little bit of trimming and adjusting, I got the old button module to fit into the new Avi trim piece. Everything is functional and good fit and finish.

While doing this door I realized that for the drivers door I will remove the mirror, glass and wiring harness out of the Sub door. I will remove wiring harness, window glass and mirror from the Avi door to make the swap easier and quicker, that way I can focus on getting the window, door lock and mirror buttons to work with the Avi trim piece.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
How about a two door Avalanche?

I am slowly stripping my Avalanche and have a carcass in the back yard. The boys have officially turned it into their personal fort. However as I pull parts off it, I slowly get more and more attached to it. And then ideas flood my brain.

YUiCPms.jpg

I always wanted a GMT400 2 door Tahoe with a 6" lift and 40" tires. What about turningwhats left of this Avalanche into a rock crawling buggy? Just shortening it to start, then maybe a lift and 37" or 40" tires...

th4f09w.jpg

2003 Chevy Avalanche 2 door.

I think I had a little too much free time on my hands and a little too much photoshop. It looks kinda cool as in an Isuzu Amigo but full size kinda cool.

Just dreaming....

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Crazy shortening the Avalanche is a perfct idea. You dont need full size doors, just half doors like lots of jeeps. Shorten that puppy and put a couple of 14 bolt ff under it. You can make a sterring axel out of a 14 bolt no prob. Lots of stuff on the internet showing you how. You could go real `crazy´and put 4 wheel steering on it. I think you have just got your next project. Cheers, Chilli...?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Avi door swap is done!
Finally got all the door on, driver and front passenger door switches wired correctly and I swapped out the ignition lock core so all the doors and ignition are keyed the same!
wEctMCC.jpg

Side view.

eW9a4wh.jpg

Slight angle.

lQrBdKT.jpg

Avi hood, fenders and doors.

I will get some better picture when the sun comes out.

Next step is to figure out why my airbag light is on after I changed and re-programmed ignition lock core to the new key. I must have nudged or loosened up a wire or two when I was in hurry.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Still not sold on the front bumper - but the rest of it I'm lovin. Nice work. Keep up all the fun transformations. :D Always fun to see what's happening next on this thing.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
How about a two door Avalanche?

I am slowly stripping my Avalanche and have a carcass in the back yard. The boys have officially turned it into their personal fort. However as I pull parts off it, I slowly get more and more attached to it. And then ideas flood my brain.

YUiCPms.jpg

I always wanted a GMT400 2 door Tahoe with a 6" lift and 40" tires. What about turningwhats left of this Avalanche into a rock crawling buggy? Just shortening it to start, then maybe a lift and 37" or 40" tires...

th4f09w.jpg

2003 Chevy Avalanche 2 door.

I think I had a little too much free time on my hands and a little too much photoshop. It looks kinda cool as in an Isuzu Amigo but full size kinda cool.

Just dreaming....

What would be cool is leave the 4door set up, make some tube doors and turn it into a family crawler. Cut the crap out of the fenders, 40s , and home made bumpers and a winch. Kind of like the dirt every day avalanch.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Still not sold on the front bumper - but the rest of it I'm lovin. Nice work. Keep up all the fun transformations. :D Always fun to see what's happening next on this thing.

BoarderDave,

I'm glad you like the transformation, other than that front bumper. Rear bumper should go on later this week, it should tie the rest of the truck together better and with the step might actually match that front bumper.

Looks like I will have to figure out how to get all the cladding onto rear quarter panels and front fenders. It would complete it better.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
What would be cool is leave the 4door set up, make some tube doors and turn it into a family crawler. Cut the crap out of the fenders, 40s , and home made bumpers and a winch. Kind of like the dirt every day avalanch.

toastyjosh,

Yeah, I'm slowly toying with that idea. I would have to do an SAS up front or maybe a 6" body lift to clear 40s. Need to finish the Sub first, have a couple big trips planned next month, Then I can figure out what to do with the Avi.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Swap the midgate and Avi bedliner into the Sub, creating a cargo area that can be sealed off from the passenger cabin.

bknudtsen,

I thought about that or even putting the Avi tailgate onto the Sub and adding a hatch like older GMT400 Suburbans used to have. I do use the 3rd row seats for my kids so that idea might not work so well because it will make the rear "bed" area much smaller than it already is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles