2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: Old Ranger Station Rd Lake Lead

This trail has had warning in the past of being unpassable, however it was pretty smooth and really fun.

View of the canyon we hiked down to the river, Colorado River and the Old Guagers station. I am out of breath from sprinting up a 300ft nearly vertical side of a mountain.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Snow play.

A lot of the country is getting snow and even Las Vegas got a few inches, the trails are calling. My buddy just put on a light bar on his 4Runner and really wanted to see how well it works. We did an afternoon evening trip up and down a 47 mile trail, totaling just under 95 miles in the dirt, 20 of which were in teh snow.

ofJL8Qk.jpg

Both of our trucks at the Mormon Well along the Mormon Wells Rd.

NK0jfyU.jpg

One of the kids playing in the snow.

Pdum3xm.jpg

2-4" of fresh snow settled to 1-2"

Have a couple more trails and adventures coming up in the next few weeks.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Enough snow, heading over to the sand dunes.

We had a little bit of snow in Vegas so I went up to 8,500ft to play, it was fun but a little on the colder side, so it's time to head back down to 2,000ft and warm back up in the sand dunes.

mwx1Rdh.jpg

My buddy with a 2015 4Runner joined me, he really enjoyed the still damp sand and 10psi in his tires.

jFhrydh.jpg

Recent rains kept the sand pretty firm and made it extremely enjoyable driving down the windblown cornices.

vUfJRky.jpg

Another angle of coming down the leeward side of the tiny little dune.

VLqSoIt.jpg

This is the view from the highest peak that you can drive to in the Nellis Sand Dunes area. Surprisingly there was no one else in this part of the OHV area.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Still loving your truck and the things you do with it. And the things you don’t. Like fix the hood latch. Who needs that?

Cheepsk8,

Thanks, I am working on getting the hood fixed, but that will require a new hood $100, both the fenders are busted also since I cut a lot of metal to fit 37s and they will need to be replaced as well $200. I much rather spend that money on fuel for new adventures rather than making the truck look pretty in the driveway.

Many more adventures to come.

cheepsk8

Observer
Cheepsk8,

Thanks, I am working on getting the hood fixed, but that will require a new hood $100, both the fenders are busted also since I cut a lot of metal to fit 37s and they will need to be replaced as well $200. I much rather spend that money on fuel for new adventures rather than making the truck look pretty in the driveway.

Many more adventures to come.

That’s why I like it!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I love the adventure shots and vids Crazy! You just keep entertaining us with your truck and your shenanigans. I am sure I am not the only one that loves your posts... Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

Chilli,

I am glad I can entertain you and everyone else. Here is another entertaining video of my buddy in his 2015 4Runner crossing a deep ditch at a local OHV area. I wish I had a video of the Suburban crossing it, both of my bumpers cleared unlike the 4Runner.

b dkw1

Observer
XJLI,

First of all no one out there has tried and successfully created a reliable and comfortable mid or long travel setup for a GMT800 truck. JDF, TTD and Camburg all have disposable single use/race long travel kits that will require you to purchase a new frame after every 1,000miles of off road you put on their kits. They are all $4,500-6,000 and that's not even including the shocks. If you can justify spending double the value of the truck on just a front suspension for everyday driving you are insane.

It's pretty obvious from this statement that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. They are not "single use" kit's, I know for a fact that any of those kits listed will go 100K miles with a little maintenance. Way less maintenance than a stock set-up. Running dirt track car shocks on a 6K+ rig with 1000# springs and expecting it to last is just wishful thinking at best. They will also handle way better with the replacement upper arms. Maybe go find someone that has one of these kits on their rig and go for a ride before making uninformed statements.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
It's pretty obvious from this statement that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. They are not "single use" kit's, I know for a fact that any of those kits listed will go 100K miles with a little maintenance. Way less maintenance than a stock set-up. Running dirt track car shocks on a 6K+ rig with 1000# springs and expecting it to last is just wishful thinking at best. They will also handle way better with the replacement upper arms. Maybe go find someone that has one of these kits on their rig and go for a ride before making uninformed statements.

d dkw1,

I will call your bluff, give me a name and model of a kit that will last over 100k miles. And yes, I have several acquaintances that have GMT800 mid and long travel kits that you speak of that cost two or three times more than the truck and they are so reliable that they have not been registered for the street for years.

Bottom line is my truck is my daily driver and after 170k miles of abuse it's still my daily driver and weekend adventurer. Also if you think that new uper arms will handle way better than my factory set-up you clearly have a future working for GM or at least teach their engineers how to do their job better, since clearly you are onto something if you think you can improve a company that has 100 million trucks with this setup on the road.

I look forward to your response with the kits you are talking about, in the mean time I'll be out on the trail...

b dkw1

Observer
JD fab kit for one. The uniballs and hiems will last 40-60k depending on how much mud you pack in them. Easy to replace. Camburg's are very similar in design and maintenance.

Do you think the Raptors are poorly designed? Poor handling based on the longer arms? Surprise, they are based of the JD fab kits. How many raptors are out there now?

Both company's have kit's on trucks that have more Baja miles than you can imagine. The original JD F150 demo truck that went to Ford for evaluation has lived in La Paz for the last 12 years. Still going strong and still off-roaded daily.

I didn't read the whole thread, just the one post that was linked from the shock thread so if I missed something so be it..............

b dkw1

Observer
In hard use you will have to replace the stock bushings and ball joints in that time frame also. Cheby upper BJ's will need it more than that when they separate after you loose another undersized shock.

Everything wears, with what you are doing, nothing is going 100K with zero maintenance.

Lets not even get started on the tie-rods......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles