2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

SexyExy

Observer
SexyExy,

I like the size, tall and skinny is how I want to roll in the Sub. I Price is a little steep, but the weight: 37x12.5R17 claimed 69lbs! That's 5lbs less than my actual and exactly the same weight as BFG KO2 AT tires in the same size. Can you please weight yours when they arrive? I want to know how much the 39s weigh. Kanatis are in contention for my next tire once the Patagonia MTs wear out.

Drei

My tires came in today.....they are 83.4 lbs each on my shipping scale. What is really strange is how skinny they actually are. Unmounted, from tread shoulder to tread shoulder they are not even 11" wide.....pretty damn skinny for a 39" tire.

I wanted a tall skinny tire but figured it would be every bit the 12.5" or so as the tire size suggests. I can balance anything, but I can't make an egg shaped tire ride smooth. With only 17" of rim diameter there is a LOT of sidewall there....hopefully their manufacturing tolerances are stringent and they produce a round tire. If this is the case, Kanati will have a winner on their hands, especially being a tall E load range tire with a 17" rim. Being this skinny it will fit a lot of trucks with minimum vehicle body interference.

I hope to have them mounted up in the next week or so. We'll see how stable they are with this much sidewall once we put them on the road.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
My tires came in today.....they are 83.4 lbs each on my shipping scale. What is really strange is how skinny they actually are. Unmounted, from tread shoulder to tread shoulder they are not even 11" wide.....pretty damn skinny for a 39" tire.

I wanted a tall skinny tire but figured it would be every bit the 12.5" or so as the tire size suggests. I can balance anything, but I can't make an egg shaped tire ride smooth. With only 17" of rim diameter there is a LOT of sidewall there....hopefully their manufacturing tolerances are stringent and they produce a round tire. If this is the case, Kanati will have a winner on their hands, especially being a tall E load range tire with a 17" rim. Being this skinny it will fit a lot of trucks with minimum vehicle body interference.

I hope to have them mounted up in the next week or so. We'll see how stable they are with this much sidewall once we put them on the road.

........ what no pics ???? come on don't leave us hanging !!!!!! lol

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
My tires come in today.....they are 83.4 lbs each on my shipping scale. What is really strange is how skinny they actually are. Unmounted, from tread shoulder to tread shoulder they are not even 11" wide.....pretty damn skinny for a 39" tire.

I hope to have them mounted up in the next week or so. We'll see how stable they are with this much sidewall once we put the on the road.

SexyExy,

That's not bad at all, only 9 lbs more than my Patagonia MTs. I wonder if anyone out there has the Patagonia MT 40x13.5R17 to see compare their actual weight to the Kanatis. Can't wait to see how they balance and drive.

Motohead1

Im gonna jump in here with a question on these 37"+ tires. Yall mention balancing and I was wondering if any of you use balance beads /airsoft shot? I was curious if you have tried the bead method and your thoughts?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Im gonna jump in here with a question on these 37"+ tires. Yall mention balancing and I was wondering if any of you use balance beads /airsoft shot? I was curious if you have tried the bead method and your thoughts?

Motohead1,

Wow, I have never heard of this product and the next time I rotate my tires I'm ripping off whatever sticker weights I have left and trying out the beads. For 37" tires 10oz of beads is recommended per tire, 12oz for 40" tires. 40oz of beads and new valve stems are $30 shipped on eBay and Amazon.

Interesting concept worth trying out. Much more economical long term solution to balancing the tires every 4-6 months in my case.

eBay four 10oz bags shipped for $30

Will definitely do a write up when I order them and use them. In the meantime if anyone has any experience with them on a big 35" plus tire please chime in.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

yoggie

From what I have read about balance beads, they are great at balancing if the balance is caused by the tread, but make the problem worse if the balance comes from the side wall. Apparently semi-truck drivers use gold balls to balance re-tread tires but they often don't work for tall sidewall off-road tires.

I have heard of people using airsoft beads as well for a cheaper option. To load them you have to break the bead of the tire away from the rim, stick them in that way as they wont fit into the valve stem.

Of course, this is just what I have read off of the internet, so do more research before just jumping in!

TxFarmTruck

Powerstrokin'
I run the same balance beads you are looking at in 38x15.50s and they work well. 12 oz per tire. Occasionally when I'm going around 30 on some roads I'll notice a slight tire vibration, presumably because the tires aren't rotating fast enough to properly distribute the beads. That being said, these are fairly worn and chewed up M/T's so not really the smoothest tires to start with. Never noticed that issue when I was running 10 ounces of beads in 35x12.50s. Certainly not a large enough problem to go back to standard weights, I'm fed up with trying to keep those on.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I run the same balance beads you are looking at in 38x15.50s and they work well. 12 oz per tire. Occasionally when I'm going around 30 on some roads I'll notice a slight tire vibration, presumably because the tires aren't rotating fast enough to properly distribute the beads. That being said, these are fairly worn and chewed up M/T's so not really the smoothest tires to start with. Never noticed that issue when I was running 10 ounces of beads in 35x12.50s. Certainly not a large enough problem to go back to standard weights, I'm fed up with trying to keep those on.

TxFarmTruck,

Thank you, thats really good to know that the beads are working for you, I just ordered 4 bags for my truck, will get them in in the next couple weeks.

Explorerinil

Observer
I’ve known several people that have used bb’s and balance beads, all with good results. From my experience large tires, especially toyo’s balance out real easy with minimal amount of weight.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: Boathouse Cove Lake Mead NRA

Here is the timelpase of the second trail we did the other day. I have never heard of Boathouse cove, however I have been here before by boat as an excellent sheltered cove to use as base camp for spearfishing.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Another day: fuel pump died, or so I thought...

My driveway at home has a slight 10 degree upward slope. I came home from work, parked the truck as usual and went inside. Following morning when I tried starting it, motor turned over but it would not start, grrrr. I started going down the list. Spark plugs and wires are good, and plugs have a spark. I was getting P0200, P0300, P0302 and P0303 codes lately, sounds like a possible fuel delivery problem and bad 18 year old injectors. I checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail: 5psi, 7psi when the key is on and priming! I was excited that I was able to find a busted fuel pump within a few minutes of trouble shooting.

I replaced my fuel pump 3 years ago while on a cross country road trip and paid good money at the dealer to do it, thankfully the ump came with a lifetime warranty. All I need to do now is get it out, go to the dealer and replace it. How to get it out... Do I drop the tank or do I cut a hole in the floor to easily access it? All literature I have seen makes dropping the tank sounds miserable even if you have all the tools and a couple buddies to help. But I did not want to cut my floor.

D7WhtdT.jpg

Dropping the tank by myself took 15 minutes and was one of the easiest jobs I have done in the Suburban, 3" body lift probably helped a little. 2 15mm bolts for the tank straps, 2 bolts for evap canister, 2 hose clamps for fuel fill and vent hose and 2 fuel line quick disconnects that come undone using my fingers. I didn't even use a jack, the tank slid right out.

Y5Ok4qx.jpg

I pulled the fuel pump out and hooked it up the the battery, it worked as it should. I ran my ohm meter and the resistance was within factory specs. Oh crap, I just dropped the tank for no reason. checked the wiring harness for the pump. One wire read 5volts, other 3 read nothing.

0VflIlS.jpg

Wire C had 5 volts and wire B had zero volts. I found my problem the second time: power wire needs to be replaced, or the relay is bad.

I went into the fusebox and played with the relays.

DAFRGED.jpg

I checked the fuel pump relay and it did not function properly, I switched it out with the horn relay and the horn worked as it should with what I thought was a defective fuel pump relay. I then checked the power wire running from the relay to the pump, it was good. I took the entire fuse panel apart, cleaned it and added grease on the connections, put it back together and still no power to the fuel pump.

I was stunned, all the wiring is good, fuel pump is good but no pressure at the rail and the fuel filter is two weeks old.

I decided to clean out my fuel tank to clear my mind... Drained the fuel from the 33.5 gallon tank and only got 1/2 quart of fuel from the tank. All of a sudden it hit me, I dropped the fuel tank, pulled the fuel pump, ripped apart the fuse box and fuse panel only to find out that I had no gas in the tank. And I remembered that the fuel light turned on 60 miles and 2 day prior but I was so tired at work that I forgot to fill it up.

I put everything back together, hooked everything up, put 10 gallons of gas in the tank, primed the fuel rail by running a wire from the "prime" plug int he fuse ox to the left of the fuel pump relay to the battery, turned the key, and what do you know, it fired right up and fuel pressure at the rail is 52psi.

Good times, I just spent 6 hours trying to trouble shoot my entire fuel system only to find out that I just needed gas.

techspy

Oh man! I am glad to hear it is easy to drop the tank as I have to replace my pump/fuel level sender on my 2002 Burb. Sorry you did it for nothing though! I will be reading this thread (and forum) thoroughly as I will be modding mine for a cross country trip over the next few months.burb-1 - Copy.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
In the military we used to euphemistically call that "Good Training!" and curse under our breath.

You make the tank drop sound easy enough I might just perch mine atop a couple chunks of 4x6 when the time comes. I have been planning to cut the floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles