2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Cheaper than junk yard parts!

All ya'll know that I'm super cheap or low budget. And finally I think I have reached a new low, out pricing eBay and the junk yard.

Over the last few years of straight up abuse I have destroyed parts of the truck that no GM engineer ever though as wearable parts. At this point the Suburban has stood the test of time much like the Great Pyramids of Giza. Rocks that are touching each other and allow movement between them due to lack of bonding materials. In a similar matter most of my truck is kinda just resting on itself or other pieces that don't seem to be attached to anything anymore.

I have had a running list of what I needed to replace or repair:
Catalytic converters
O2 sensors
Evap canister and connections
Front fenders
Hood
Headlights
Headlight brackets
Battery tray
Windshield washer reservoir
Drivers door
Front passenger door
All lock cores/cylinders
Front passenger seat
Front bumper that fits better than Raptor bumper
Rear bumper that has a step like later Silverados
Double Din radio dash
Steering wheel with radio controls

I know there is more but can't remember.

Even at the lowest eBay or junk yard prices I will be looking at close to $1,000 which is ridiculous for cosmetic parts for a 20 year old truck.

So I found me a parts truck.

APVInOr.jpg

2003 Avalanche 1500 North Face edition!

My dark grey color of Suburban is a rare color to find at a reasonable price so I figure black is close enough, much more subtle than all the red avalanches I've seen for sale this summer. Battery is dead and the 4L60E is supposedly busted, but for $200 you can not beat this.

My goal is to get the Avalanche running to see if the motor or tranny have any life in them and then to move the entire front end and all 4 doors onto the Sub. Just like GM did with GMT800 Suburbans for the Mexican market. Eventually I will wrap the truck in a single color but until then...

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

XJLI

Adventurer
The cladded avalanche front end is specific to only the avalanche (the non cladded models were the same as the cateye silverados) but everything should still swap over and will be pretty unique nonetheless.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
The cladded avalanche front end is specific to only the avalanche (the non cladded models were the same as the cateye silverados) but everything should still swap over and will be pretty unique nonetheless.

XJLI,

Yeah, the bumper brackets are the only part that requires cutting and welding. But I have a body lift and the bumper relocation brackets that came with it give me many more mounting options that do not require as much custom fabrication. In either case, I am very excited to get started and see how it turns out.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Moving the Avalanche

When I bought the Suburban I never dreamed of putting 37" tires on it and running it in the desert with my kids. Now that I am in Maine I still drive it daily but never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would use it as a yard truck or tractor, but times and needs change. 2wd high, 1st gear and Detroit locker are amazing!

EPT0CKh.jpg

I used a 6ft tree saver strap for this tug of war. Pulled the Avi out a few feet, then used my bumper to push it back.

nDlfSCP.jpg

Re-aligned and pulled some more.

v1mAYEj.jpg

It's difficult to do this by yourself when you have to steer two vehicles at the same time.

6WiyQc7.jpg

Getting close to it's final resting spot.

5toAirE.jpg

Ligning up the Avi with it's parking spot.

5ICM5UP.jpg

I ran out of room to pull the Avi, so came around the front, gave it a 5-6ft nudge with the Sub bumper and this is where it will spend the rest of it's life as I strip it down for parts.

Next step is to see if I can get it running and start stripping the front end apart.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Congratulations on your new vehicle purchase Mr Crazy. If I was you I would build that old avalanche up after you removed the body parts. Think of the fun pre runner style truck you could get out of that!!??? Or go big and make a truggy with 44 inch tires and a roll cage!!! The possibilities are endless! Cheers, Chilli....?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Congratulations on your new vehicle purchase Mr Crazy. If I was you I would build that old avalanche up after you removed the body parts. Think of the fun pre runner style truck you could get out of that!!??? Or go big and make a truggy with 44 inch tires and a roll cage!!! The possibilities are endless! Cheers, Chilli....?

Chilli,

Haha, yes. You know me too well. I was thinking of puling the front diff, running a 3" spindles, and 40s. pre-runner with 2wd high and 2wd low. But now that you mention 44s, I might just have to find a set. Highly doubt that that project will take place until this summer, but you never know.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
what a deal! I couldn't buy just a cab and frame for 200 here...

dirtdobberoffroad,

Yeah, it's weird out here. Junk yards pay $100-125 per vehicle when you scrap them but subtract what ever they feel is fair if they tow them. SO people will sell junkers that will not pass inspection for $200-500. Some ambitions people will strip some easy parts to make some quick cash before scrapping.

But yeah, it's not too many places where you can get a complete vehicle with a title for $200.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Does the avalanche have that funky Avy-only cloth interior pattern?

4BT,

Not familiar with what normal Avi seats are supposed to look like, but here are some pics of the North Face editions seats.

ke4rjpd.jpg

Front Passenger seat.

K18GaKt.jpg

Back of front passenger seat. Plastic clips is where the North Face back packs clipped into.

Xwj7PqE.jpg

Back seat.

Front passenger seat is 100% mechanical. My Suburban front passenger seat electric only works sporadically so I will replace the front seat to save weight and so I never have to worry about the electronics. Drivers seat in the Avi is shredded more than my Sub seat, not sure what I'm gong to do about it yet. I am swapping all the headrestes into the Sub because they look cool.

Overlandtowater

dirtdobberoffroad,

Yeah, it's weird out here. Junk yards pay $100-125 per vehicle when you scrap them but subtract what ever they feel is fair if they tow them. SO people will sell junkers that will not pass inspection for $200-500. Some ambitions people will strip some easy parts to make some quick cash before scrapping.

But yeah, it's not too many places where you can get a complete vehicle with a title for $200.
Seems like I need to look at the New England craigslist and borrow a multi vehicle trailer......Oh my gosh those seats are terrible, but if you like it so be it. To me, it looks like something my 5 year old drew up.... I thought it was a Walmart seat cover...….Ok you get the point but...LOL;)

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
I can vouch for their replacement Durafoam seat cushions. Worth every penny in my 2006. Would be great if they made seat back foam to match.

I put an aftermarket adjustable power lumbar in my truck and it helped a little.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I put an aftermarket adjustable power lumbar in my truck and it helped a little.

XJLI,

I have an LS trim Sub, with 92D cloth seat RPO code, but it looks like the previous owner replaced the seats with LT leather seats with 8 way power seats, lumbar support and upper cushion wings that cradle you like a race car. Drivers seat looks like it's wired in correctly but I have had passenger seat electrical problems.

like the unique look of the Avi North Face seats that a 5 year old designed with a crayon, but also want to have matching seats at least in the front. Will most likely just swap out front passenger seat from the Avi into the Sub to get rid of electrical controls but keep the color of the leather seat covers I have in it right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94