2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

mekcanix

Camper
Have you seen Rough Country's hidden winch mount? For $200 it would hard for me to justify fabbing something...

I have and due to the Push bar it wouldn't work.
I have it the truck now got it done this past weekend, now I just need to put cable or rope in it, left it empty for the install so to give me a fighting chance on not smashing my melon

Overlandtowater

Have you seen Rough Country's hidden winch mount? For $200 it would hard for me to justify fabbing something...
If you keep the factory bumper and plastics it would be fine but if you trim the bumper or replace it with something a little more low profile the winch mount becomes the anchor.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
hah, your felling vid reminds me of Andrew Camarata's YouTube channel.
Good times.

Rayra,

I watch Andrew Camarata's channel among to get ideas on excavation work. Wranglerstar has so much useful chainsaw/wood cutting/splitting information. And Odell Complete Concrete has been my motivation for anything concrete and stone related.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Rayra,

I watch Andrew Camarata's channel among to get ideas on excavation work. Wranglerstar has so much useful chainsaw/wood cutting/splitting information. And Odell Complete Concrete has been my motivation for anything concrete and stone related.
lol, all of those are in my viewing list. RR Buildings, Red Poppy Ranch, Essential Craftsman, Samurai Carpenter. heh. Youtube is probably noticing networks of viewing habits and feeding those into suggested channels.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
If you keep the factory bumper and plastics it would be fine but if you trim the bumper or replace it with something a little more low profile the winch mount becomes the anchor.

dirtdobberoffroad,

Yeah, thats the problem I noticed with the RC hidden winch mount. It sits OK in the stock bumper even though it sticks out toward the front of the truck 4-6" with the fairlead. I want more flexibility to push that winch as far up and back as I can to keep it from being that anchor that just about everybody runs.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

mekcanix

Camper
The mount I did the plate is pretty much flush with the bottom of the frame. the fairlead is close to flush with the bumper at the top but does stick out at the bottom as the bumper has that curve to it. I will take some more pics this weekend once I get time to feed in the cable

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
The mount I did the plate is pretty much flush with the bottom of the frame. the fairlead is close to flush with the bumper at the top but does stick out at the bottom as the bumper has that curve to it. I will take some more pics this weekend once I get time to feed in the cable

mekcanix,

Definitely want to see the pics of your creation.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Crazy, looks like you have a second job as a tree faller. Cool video. Your truck looks great as usual. Good to see you are keeping yourself busy. Cheers, Chilli... ?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Hey Crazy, looks like you have a second job as a tree faller. Cool video. Your truck looks great as usual. Good to see you are keeping yourself busy. Cheers, Chilli... ?

Chilli,

Welcome back, missed ya this summer with your sporadic appearances and long disappearances.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks like a cool GMC to me. I dont know what a Setina is but maybe we can get an explanation. Cheers, Chilli... ?

mekcanix

Camper
It didnt, it also came with a warning about using it as any type of recovery point. they are aluminum and I really like it

And Chilli the Setina is a push bar that is normal on Fire and rescue and police vehicles. I just got lucky that a friend owns a business where he does safety supplies and build outs of first responder stuff

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Drive down to the DC area last week.

It has been a busy fall getting the yard ready for the winter, clearing a lot o brush and trees as well as building a snowshoeing/snowmobile trail the back yard. I decided to drive down to DC area and visit some off the beaten path places.

2HXBOco.jpg

This was a pivotal spot during the Civil War, at one point JEB Stuart had control on the C&O canal Tow path between Violet's lock and Rileys lock.

rPnQlIE.jpg

I should have taken a picture of the Potomac River at this location, it's at least 1/2 mile wide and 4-8ft deep in most spots.

ZVtcQyX.jpg

Pretty impressive that 5,000 confederate cavalrymen crossed the river at this location in one night completely un-noticed by the locals.

CogZjDv.jpg

Trusty old Sub at the bottom of Violet's Lock.

1vffMIs.jpg

Looking upstream of the lower gate of Violet's lock.

mixDxkG.jpg

Top gate looking downstream at the inlet channel lock to let the barges on the Potomac River the enter the towpath and bypass the shallow rapids just downstream.

shAhoWt.jpg

Too many people complained that Snakehead swims up the Potomac River, gets out, crawls into ponds in people's yards and eats their priced Koi, random birds and cats. be on the lookout.

UT0S0Jp.jpg

11 aqueducts were constructed on the towpath between Georgetown and Cumberland. This is aqueduct number 1 and is the only one that directly feeds in to a lock after crossing Seneca Creek.

zChDjYg.jpg

Can't tell well from this picture and but the bridge portion of the aqueduct has eroded over the years and is missing.

SCMMZbw.jpg

Looking upstream up the aqueduct, little bridge to the left was for the towpath mules and now a pedestrian and bike bridge.

VGZYr7Z.jpg

Looking downstream you can see a drop off where the barges lost approximately 6 feet of elevation as they traveled up and down the canal. Lower lock gate is still there but can not be easily seen in the picture.

0cbz0Yk.jpg

Rileys lock house also known as lock house 24. NPS gives permits for special use for this lock house for school history tours, boy scout and girl scout trips. At one point this was one the lock houses you could stay at while biking the C&O canal. Pretty cool to stay in a building that pre-dates Civil War.

8oBiTH1.jpg

Seneca Creek Rock Mill. A truly hidden and secret gem that has been left to fall into ruin.

8va61Z5.jpg

Remains of an old rock mill that cut the stones from a quarry nearby. Originally the sandstone came out of here grey in color, howevet as it oxidized it turned red.

n0JGuRO.jpg

It would be great to see this rock mill preserved.

DRSSOjG.jpg

Panoramic view from inside the mill. Stone cut here was used to build the Smithsonian Castle in Washington DC among many other buildings and most of the bridges and locks along the C&O canal.

8bT5cTG.jpg

I have no idea what this 0 mile marker of the blue blaze trail represents. I have not seen any other blue blazes or mile markers with appropriate mileage from this marker. C&O canal is approximately 1/2 mile from this location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior