2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
We did the 4 day Colorado River trip out of Moab to Lake Powell in 1992 and again in 2016.

What shame!!!!

The water level on the Colorado River and Lake Powell where we got off the river was 25 feet LOWER in 2016 than it was in 1992.

The "Water" problems out West are far bigger than anyone wants to acknowledge.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thank you for the imformative video Crazy. Who says climate change is not over us? Look at the level of the lake! Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Pretty cool video and I love the time laps you did. How fast were you going down the trail?

Cant wait to see the pictures and write up.

EMS WJ 2000,

The first half until the intersection with Bonelli Bay Rd I was doing approximately 50-55mph, when the trail got twisty I slowed down to 35ish.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Video: Cohenour Loop Rd Lake Mead NRA

This is a fun loop trail that has three short 2-4 mile trails off the main loop in the Temple Bar/Bonelli Bay area of Lake Mead NRA. I only recorded a timelapse of the Cohenour loop itself. Approximately 3 miles to the loop, then a five to sic mile loop and another three miles back to the main drag.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

b dkw1

Observer
Congratulations, NASCAR, Indy or F1 would earn you the exactly the same bragging rights: you have way more money than you know what to do with, so you built a truck that was the only entry in it's class, just as prestigious as winning employee of the month at Walmart.

I would have been way more impressed if you said that you won the Gambler 500, you actually have to have a street legal vehicle for that race. Only way your truck gets around is on a back of a trailer.

Now tell me that you won that same race or even got to the first check point in your 20 year old 1/4 million mile daily driver with two toddlers in the back that you can live out of for a week or two at a time, then that would be impressive. Until then Pirate4x4 might be a much more appropriate venue for you and your insightful comments.

Cheers

Still talking out your ******.

I build everything myself as I can't afford to pay anyone else. It was a 22 year old Ford ranger in class 7S. There were 4 entry's, we were the only finisher in our class. It was and still is street legal. Working windows and heater are nice in Baja in the middle of the night.

Still waiting for your accomplishments in racing.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
We are always looking forward to your next adventures Mr Crazy. Thanks for posting vids. Cheers, Chilli..:cool:

AlexCold

Observer

I build everything myself as I can't afford to pay anyone else. It was a 22 year old Ford ranger in class 7S. There were 4 entry's, we were the only finisher in our class. It was and still is street legal. Working windows and heater are nice in Baja in the middle of the night.

Still waiting for your accomplishments in racing.

Just to throw some gas on the fire here, the Hummer Racing H2s and H3s all ran the whole SCORE series on stock components (minus shocks) to win multiple races and points titles in its days. Those components weren’t swapped every race either. So while yes I agree stock isn’t the best for overall ride quality, he also didn’t have to spend all that money to do what he does with his truck. I will also say that if I were to add a mid/long travel kit to a truck, I would regularly check the frame for cracking. It’s not and if, it’s a when.

I also didn’t think the coilover conversion was going to work but he at least tried it and found out rather than just nay-saying and speculation. He also runs 37s on a sub, almost no one does that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6gun

I just want to chime in and say after reading all through the thread, FREAKIN AWESOME JOB!!!!!!! There will always be morons that have to chime in about what you can't do while you're in the process of doing it. I will also say that I believe it has only held together due to the use of Ford parts :) Keep on rockin CrazyDrei! I'm definitely staying tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I'm done.

I thought you were actually done, lol.

I have actually won the Baja 1000 in a truck that i built. You?

Refer to next quote...

There were 4 entry's, we were the only finisher in our class.

So you survived the Baja and barely limped across the finish line. You do know that the drive you call a race locals call a daily commute.

Prime example next line.

It was and still is street legal. Working windows and heater are nice in Baja in the middle of the night.

It most likely was street legal 22 years ago, why else would you trailer it to a race. Not sure about the local laws but it might still be street legal in Mexico.

This is fun, looking forward to your next response.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Video: Tierod Canyon in Las Vegas Proper.

I was looking for trail ideas and found a list of top 5 trails in every state, Tierod Canyon in Las Vegas has been on the list for the last decade and I have never heard anyone in any of my off road circles mention that trail. I had to check it out. And I am glad I did. Extremely fun trail that starts following a railroad, then through fun desert crossing and up a narrow and technical but doable and extremely enjoyable canyon with numerous dry waterfalls to climb up and enjoy.

I ran the trail in 2wd with no problems however I did have to use 4x4 low for the last steep and loose hill climb.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
We did the 4 day Colorado River trip out of Moab to Lake Powell in 1992 and again in 2016.

What shame!!!!

The water level on the Colorado River and Lake Powell where we got off the river was 25 feet LOWER in 2016 than it was in 1992.

The "Water" problems out West are far bigger than anyone wants to acknowledge.

Vintageracer,

Comparing the water level at Lake Mead and Lake Powell from the early 1990s to today is devastatingly sad. Just saying that the water level dropped 25ft, 50ft or 75ft is unimaginable without a reference point to anyone in most other parts of the country. If Chesapeake Bay water level dropped by the same amount as Lake Mead has in the last two decades, it would be completely empty.

I am working on editing a video from Bonelli Bay Rd where I drove across the bottom last week and even five years ago I was scuba diving and that part of the lake was nearly 40ft under water.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Day Trip: Bonelli Bay, Bonelli Landing, Cohenour Loop Rd

Temple Bar area of Lake Mead is a relatively remote part that does not get nearly as much traffic as it deserves. I decided to do a half day adventure that as usual turned into a full day ordeal after we finished exploring all the trails I have never been on and revisited old ones. Water level has been decreasing significantly especially due to the last two years being much dryer than usual. We were able to drive parts of the lake that I have scuba dove within the last five years.

WSUXxey.jpg

We explored the Bonelli Landing area which is on the way to Temple Bar. This sign has been gratified and I used some Photoshop to bring it back to it's partial former glory.

winCFsW.jpg

Despite the wind and overcast day, the water was much warmer than expected especially if you do not get out of your vehicle.

7bvkitE.jpg

Kids are fearless and do not understand the concept of cold water is cold.

0gXKEJT.jpg

Surprisingly huge amount of sea shells on this beach.

IlTUU61.jpg

Best part of this camera is that it makes an overcast gloomy day look like we are at a Bahamas photo shoot.

g3LnRMx.jpg

Now just the Sub.

LqCw1A3.jpg

Locals did not appreciate us disturbing the peace and quiet of the area on our way to the next trail.

yz6HwWl.jpg

We are in Bonelli Bay, last time I was in this area I used a boat and a scuba tank to get down to this spot.

7btPmFW.jpg

Fun and easy trail that runs for approximately three miles then splits off into a five to seven mile loop.

9AJDkRJ.jpg

There have always been inhabitants in the Colorado River Valley long before Europeans sailed across the ocean and came out west.

fz6ybHS.jpg

Petroglyphs

8ONnVWC.jpg

More petroglyphs.

HHSvGbt.jpg

And the last rock that I hiked to before returning back to the truck.

wSLprMT.jpg

More locals. Free grazing this time, could be one of Bundy's cattle.

DuSSfaF.jpg

Last stop where I actually took pictures. It's a short approximately three mile long trail off the main loop.

ANodpbu.jpg

It's difficult to capture how high you really are on top of a big hill.

uAOvenA.jpg

Looking down and out towards Lake Mead.

H7WGvyH.jpg

Other side of the panorama.

Great trip, covered a lot of miles int eh dirt, found several great places I have never been to before. A thunderstorm rolled in so we boogied out to the main drag not to be caught up in it. Will be revisiting this area in the near future to finish time lapse videos of couple more trails I did not have time to do on this trip.

Explorerinil

Observer
I noticed it looks like you have an older thule cargo container, is that correct? There is one local on Craigslist for skis, I think it’s a 125 or something, I was thinking about picking it up. How is yours holding during all the constant off-road travel you do?

Aweome pics and places you go btw!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I noticed it looks like you have an older thule cargo container, is that correct? There is one local on Craigslist for skis, I think it’s a 125 or something, I was thinking about picking it up. How is yours holding during all the constant off-road travel you do?

Aweome pics and places you go btw!

Explorerinil,

That is correct, older Thule Ski Box. It's 16-17 years old, I have owned it for 14 or 15 years. It was purchased in Germany by some dude that was deplayed and was an BMW dealer option in Germany, that's why it says BMW on it. Soldier liked it so much that he brought it back stateside. Don't know if the build is different between European and US models. I have had this box at over 150mph on my M3, and close to 500k miles on it.

Five years ago I closed it too hard on a pair of ski boots, got a little crack, put a strip of duct tape on it, it's still there and no leaks. Two years ago I rammed it into a tree on fun technical 4x4 trail, it flexed and absorbed the impact and the first crack got bigger, so I put on some more duct tape, it's holding very well and still no leaks.

It's been sitting on the roof of the Sub for over 5 years and other vehicles for 5 more in the Las Vegas desert sun. I absolutely love this box and would not hesitate getting a similar Thule box if this one ever brakes or falls apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior