2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Made in China eBay MAF: problems and solutions.

PRESS Ctrl F5 to reload the page if the images do not load the first time around.

My 18 year old MAF was giving me many check engine codes and even after cleaning it the codes would reappear within a week. So I replaced it with the least expensive MAF I could find on eBay.

On the first off-road adventure the truck did great on washboard however once I hit my first obstacle the truck lost all power, just idled rough no matter how much gas I gave it. I was suspecting a couple things and with the engine running I jumped under the hood.

The MAF separated into two pieces. My made in China MAF was held loosely and was not glued like the ACDelco parts.

The air was not flowing through the airbox and across the MAF so no matter how much I depressed the throttle the vacuum was sucking in air from under the hood and the ECU was really confused.

At this point I was three miles into a 70mile one way trail and there was no way I was turning around, a little of gaffers tape and I was back in business. The rest of the trail the truck ran without any hesitation however the gaffers tape needed to be replaced with a better long term solution.

Airplanes and motorcycles use springs to keep exhaust pipes together so I decided to come up with a redneck cheap (something that costs nothing) solution that fits my application.

I always collect black bungee straps when I find them and have a whole bin of them in the garage. I cut the two pieces to the correct length and clamped them down with the existing hose clamps under slight tension.

Two rubber bungees was enough to hold the MAF together. Now when the motor moves under torque, the MAF separates slightly and comes back together as it should with no loss of power. This makes my MAF the only flexible joint in the air intake system from the snorkel to the throttle body.

Of course I took it out the next day on the trail and 50 miles later it held up perfectly, no loss of power and no check engine lights.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I really like your air system!

I did something similar on my jeep with a few differences. I set mine up to connect to all 4 tires at once (as you are working towards) and I can use my system for airing down as well. My setup is pump -> pressure regulator for 30 PSI (desired air-up pressure) -> valve (to prevent back flow when airing down) -> split with hoses to all 4 tires (with Lock-On Air Chuck), valve to outside air for airing down, and pressure gauge.

I actually have the whole system under the drivers seat and actually have one of the outlets from the splitter going to a splitter under the passenger's side where the other two hoses are connected and stored (coiled up under the seat), but thats probably more details than you need!

My original setup included a 10 (11?) gallon air tank I found from HF or Walmart. I found that even starting with 100 psi (pump max) it was faster to go without the tank than with on 35 inch tires, so this might be something to check. It will also depend on if you have time to recharge the tanks between the front and rear or if you do all 4 of them at once.
Yoggie,

Your setup is pretty much what I am ultimately aiming for in the Sub but with a 2gal air tank instead of the 10 for the reasons you stated above. I want to be able to air up and down all 4 tires at the same time to the same pressure so I am slowly working my way up to that.

I like that lock on air chuck, I also have locking air chucks, just went with the lever style.

On board air is a work in progress and I expect to tweak it several more times until it's dialed in as I like it. My eBay special air manifold leaks air no matter how much teflon tape I use, so I will be removing it and switching it out for a 3-way t connectors that do not leak in the near future.

I've had good luck sealing up cheap air fitting with jb weld on the threads. Just make sure you don't want to take them apart later.

SexyExy

Observer
SexyExy,

I like the size, tall and skinny is how I want to roll in the Sub. I Price is a little steep, but the weight: 37x12.5R17 claimed 69lbs! That's 5lbs less than my actual and exactly the same weight as BFG KO2 AT tires in the same size. Can you please weight yours when they arrive? I want to know how much the 39s weigh. Kanatis are in contention for my next tire once the Patagonia MTs wear out.

Drei
My tires came in today.....they are 83.4 lbs each on my shipping scale. What is really strange is how skinny they actually are. Unmounted, from tread shoulder to tread shoulder they are not even 11" wide.....pretty damn skinny for a 39" tire.

I wanted a tall skinny tire but figured it would be every bit the 12.5" or so as the tire size suggests. I can balance anything, but I can't make an egg shaped tire ride smooth. With only 17" of rim diameter there is a LOT of sidewall there....hopefully their manufacturing tolerances are stringent and they produce a round tire. If this is the case, Kanati will have a winner on their hands, especially being a tall E load range tire with a 17" rim. Being this skinny it will fit a lot of trucks with minimum vehicle body interference.

I hope to have them mounted up in the next week or so. We'll see how stable they are with this much sidewall once we put them on the road.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
My tires came in today.....they are 83.4 lbs each on my shipping scale. What is really strange is how skinny they actually are. Unmounted, from tread shoulder to tread shoulder they are not even 11" wide.....pretty damn skinny for a 39" tire.

I wanted a tall skinny tire but figured it would be every bit the 12.5" or so as the tire size suggests. I can balance anything, but I can't make an egg shaped tire ride smooth. With only 17" of rim diameter there is a LOT of sidewall there....hopefully their manufacturing tolerances are stringent and they produce a round tire. If this is the case, Kanati will have a winner on their hands, especially being a tall E load range tire with a 17" rim. Being this skinny it will fit a lot of trucks with minimum vehicle body interference.

I hope to have them mounted up in the next week or so. We'll see how stable they are with this much sidewall once we put them on the road.

........ what no pics ???? come on don't leave us hanging !!!!!! lol

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
My tires come in today.....they are 83.4 lbs each on my shipping scale. What is really strange is how skinny they actually are. Unmounted, from tread shoulder to tread shoulder they are not even 11" wide.....pretty damn skinny for a 39" tire.

I hope to have them mounted up in the next week or so. We'll see how stable they are with this much sidewall once we put the on the road.
SexyExy,

That's not bad at all, only 9 lbs more than my Patagonia MTs. I wonder if anyone out there has the Patagonia MT 40x13.5R17 to see compare their actual weight to the Kanatis. Can't wait to see how they balance and drive.

Motohead1

Im gonna jump in here with a question on these 37"+ tires. Yall mention balancing and I was wondering if any of you use balance beads /airsoft shot? I was curious if you have tried the bead method and your thoughts?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Im gonna jump in here with a question on these 37"+ tires. Yall mention balancing and I was wondering if any of you use balance beads /airsoft shot? I was curious if you have tried the bead method and your thoughts?
Motohead1,

Wow, I have never heard of this product and the next time I rotate my tires I'm ripping off whatever sticker weights I have left and trying out the beads. For 37" tires 10oz of beads is recommended per tire, 12oz for 40" tires. 40oz of beads and new valve stems are $30 shipped on eBay and Amazon.

Interesting concept worth trying out. Much more economical long term solution to balancing the tires every 4-6 months in my case.

eBay four 10oz bags shipped for $30

Will definitely do a write up when I order them and use them. In the meantime if anyone has any experience with them on a big 35" plus tire please chime in.

yoggie

From what I have read about balance beads, they are great at balancing if the balance is caused by the tread, but make the problem worse if the balance comes from the side wall. Apparently semi-truck drivers use gold balls to balance re-tread tires but they often don't work for tall sidewall off-road tires.

I have heard of people using airsoft beads as well for a cheaper option. To load them you have to break the bead of the tire away from the rim, stick them in that way as they wont fit into the valve stem.

Of course, this is just what I have read off of the internet, so do more research before just jumping in!

TxFarmTruck

Powerstrokin'
I run the same balance beads you are looking at in 38x15.50s and they work well. 12 oz per tire. Occasionally when I'm going around 30 on some roads I'll notice a slight tire vibration, presumably because the tires aren't rotating fast enough to properly distribute the beads. That being said, these are fairly worn and chewed up M/T's so not really the smoothest tires to start with. Never noticed that issue when I was running 10 ounces of beads in 35x12.50s. Certainly not a large enough problem to go back to standard weights, I'm fed up with trying to keep those on.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I run the same balance beads you are looking at in 38x15.50s and they work well. 12 oz per tire. Occasionally when I'm going around 30 on some roads I'll notice a slight tire vibration, presumably because the tires aren't rotating fast enough to properly distribute the beads. That being said, these are fairly worn and chewed up M/T's so not really the smoothest tires to start with. Never noticed that issue when I was running 10 ounces of beads in 35x12.50s. Certainly not a large enough problem to go back to standard weights, I'm fed up with trying to keep those on.
TxFarmTruck,

Thank you, thats really good to know that the beads are working for you, I just ordered 4 bags for my truck, will get them in in the next couple weeks.

Explorerinil

Observer
I’ve known several people that have used bb’s and balance beads, all with good results. From my experience large tires, especially toyo’s balance out real easy with minimal amount of weight.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: Boathouse Cove Lake Mead NRA

Here is the timelpase of the second trail we did the other day. I have never heard of Boathouse cove, however I have been here before by boat as an excellent sheltered cove to use as base camp for spearfishing.