2000 miles of nervous nirvana....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have this crazy idea that I am going to drive my flat fender from Durango, Colorado to Missoula, Montana, go on a four day spring snow-wheeling adventure with some friends, and then drive back home. Oh yeah, in late May.

I am planning on taking a two lane highway route north to avoid the interstates and allow myself to slow down a bit. The happy speed on the flat fender is about 50mph.

I will have 3 full days for the drive on the way up, be playing in the snow for 4 days, and then have about 4-5 days for the drive home. I don't want to rush so I have tried to give myself enough time to tackle a trip like this. I will only have to cover about 300 miles a day on the way up and less on the way back.

Did I mention that the Willys is all torn apart in the shop right now getting some new 5.38 gears in the front?

Did I mention that I leave in 14 days?!?!?!

Did I mention that I have to pack camping gear, 15 gallons of extra fuel, parts, tools, clothes, a cooler, and myself into a flat fender?!?!?!

I will be trying to post from the road into this thread. I don't know how well that is going to go. Lots of pictures will be taken on the trip along with some video I hope. Its just me though and time is a little limited so don't expect a feature length movie or anything.

And go!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I will be driving this thing.....

no no....the one on the right.....

If you see me stranded alongside the road please stop and chat. It will help distract me from my self induced misery. If you can help, generally I will have beef jerky and Pepsi to offer as payment.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My rough packing thoughts and list......

I don't want to look like a lost gypsy. I would prefer is gear wasn't packed to the gills with junk hanging off everywhere. I have a mild case of OCD that kicks in when it comes to stuff like this. Generally I am a minimalist when it comes to this kind of stuff. I think that spawned from too many years as a wildland firefighter falling out of helicopters and having to hump everything out on your back.

So.....storage....

-3- 5 gallon nato military fuel cans in the back. These will be upright and shoved to the passenger side with the necks as far away from me as possible. I have a 18 gallon fuel tank in the Willys that sits directly behind the front seats but I will need some extra fuel for the snow wheeling section of this adventure. I will probably fill one up for the long drives but I don't need to pack all the extra fuel weight most of the time. These are good quality old style NATO cans that don't leak pretty much no matter what. They hold pressure and don't leak. I think I will cut a piece of plywood or two to go under the fuel cans to keep them from rubbing on the floor for the entire trip. These plywood pieces could function as a jack base if needed. I should probably stick some foam inbetween the cans also. The cans can be strapped down with a ratchet strap from the B-pillar spreader behind the seats to the C-pillar spreader that crosses the back of the tub.

-Cooler. I need to find a cooler that will fit opposite the fuel cans. I have reservations about the cooler going near the fuel cans and fuel tank but its a flat fender so I can't be picky I guess. All the food for the camping sections of the trip will go in here as a sort simple cold kitchen box. I will probably have to space the cooler up above the little shock mount pocket on the floor. I think that is about a 3" area. I need to fill that up with something useful that I don't need to get at all the time......and something light since its on the back of the jeep.

-Tool bag. I have a mid size tool bag that will fit ahead of the passenger seat. This thing gets pretty heavy so having it as far forward as possible and opposite the driver would be good.

-Spare parts bag. This is going to be pretty small really. I will go more into detail on the spare parts list later. It's not THAT long? EEEEKKKK! Hopefully I can cram this under the front passenger seat.

-Recovery Gear. My big tow strap will fit next to the fuel cans over the shock pocket on the passenger side. I will probably add another soft bag with my bottle jack, snatch block, tree strap, shackles, etc. This bag will probably go on top of the tool bag, along the outside of the passenger seat, or something.

-I recently added some footman loops on the cowl ahead of the windshield. I have a nice super thick 10x10 brown tarp that I will be wrapping around a camp chair and foam sleeping pad. Getting this kinda stuff out from the 'inside' of the vehicle will help a lot with space.

-My personal gear. Sleepign bag, toothbrush, clothes, etc will be going in my 60-liter backpack and into the drivers seat.

-I will be adding a locking ammo can center console for things I want to keep secure in the open vehicle. This will be stuff like my cell, HT, etc.

Anyone have any other brilliant ideas?

njtacoma

Explorer
I like the route, looks like some good areas to drive through.

Years ago my wife and I did the stretch from Salmon to Missoula, it was pretty, we still talk about going through the area. We started in Twin Falls, so further west from you.

Have fun, and I can't wait to see the pictures of everything all packed up.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I like the route, looks like some good areas to drive through.

Years ago my wife and I did the stretch from Salmon to Missoula, it was pretty, we still talk about going through the area. We started in Twin Falls, so further west from you.

Have fun, and I can't wait to see the pictures of everything all packed up.

That is a nice area. I grew up in Salmon so I know that country like the back of my hand. Great country....just no jobs....

onetraveller

Adventurer
You stated

"My personal gear. Sleepign bag, toothbrush, clothes, etc will be going in my 60-liter backpack and into the drivers seat. "

Won't this make driving difficult?

Sounds like a great trip otherwise.

Mike

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
You stated

"My personal gear. Sleepign bag, toothbrush, clothes, etc will be going in my 60-liter backpack and into the drivers seat. "

Won't this make driving difficult?

Sounds like a great trip otherwise.

Mike

HAHA, yeah. Make that passenger seat.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Are you just driving straight through or stopping along the way?

Half and half I guess. I will be taking 3 full days for the drive up and 4-5 for the drive back down. This should leave me enough time that I can get out and see a few things.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I drive a 1973 Series 3 109. It has a few more creature comforts compared to your Willys...but not many.

-Wire up some 12V outlets before you go. Charging your phone while on the road is excellent.

-Noise Cancelling earphones. Plug into your smartphone with pandora/whatever music. This is the single best thing you can do to make your trip more enjoyable.

-Work gloves. Wear them.

-How are your seats? If they are old and you sit more on the floor than a cushion, then pull the seat and drop it off at the upholstery shop.

-Rain X. Just go ahead and carry the bottle with you.

-Start driving the vehicle as soon a possible. You'll get a feel for it and get comfortable with it. Also understand what kinda heat will be coming from the firewall so you can dress accordingly.

-Balance tires before you depart.

-Try not to drive in the dark. It just sucks in these old trucks.

-Wear an awesome hat and smoke a cigar/pipe with your aviator sunglasses. Go ahead and get your mustache growing as well. This completes the full BAMF look you'll have going on.

-A bottle of Gentlemen Jack. Helps with all that hair you are about to grow on your chest.

-WD-40

-A roll of duct tape on the floor/passenger seat is your new cup holder. Also if you need duct tape, you'll have it.

-At stops, feel the temp of your hubs and maybe the rear axle. You can get a feeling if you are having a problem.

-Bungee cords within reach. When (not if) the gear levers start rattling uncontrollably, put a bungee cord on it to quiet it down

That is about all I can think of right now. I hope you are putting a top on that thing as that'll make things a lot better.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I drive a 1973 Series 3 109. It has a few more creature comforts compared to your Willys...but not many.

-Wire up some 12V outlets before you go. Charging your phone while on the road is excellent.

Check. Use the 12V outlet often.

-Noise Cancelling earphones. Plug into your smartphone with pandora/whatever music. This is the single best thing you can do to make your trip more enjoyable.

Isn't it kinda illegal to drive wearing headphones? I don't mind the noise. I use it as an problem identifier.

-Work gloves. Wear them.

I will try that.

-How are your seats? If they are old and you sit more on the floor than a cushion, then pull the seat and drop it off at the upholstery shop.

Good. I have modern low back suspension seats. Very comfy.

-Rain X. Just go ahead and carry the bottle with you.

Need to get some, not planning on driving in the rain if I can help it.

-Start driving the vehicle as soon a possible. You'll get a feel for it and get comfortable with it. Also understand what kinda heat will be coming from the firewall so you can dress accordingly.

I have some miles in the vehicle. I have done a 700+ mile trip in it before. That was in the old version, new version is MUCH better.

-Balance tires before you depart.

Check. Already done.

-Try not to drive in the dark. It just sucks in these old trucks.

I agree. I am going to try not to press it late into the day. Leave when its light and stop before it gets dark.

-Wear an awesome hat and smoke a cigar/pipe with your aviator sunglasses. Go ahead and get your mustache growing as well. This completes the full BAMF look you'll have going on.

Have awesome hat, don't smoke, too many years as a firefighter, need some aviators. Goatee is already well seasoned :)

-A bottle of Gentlemen Jack. Helps with all that hair you are about to grow on your chest.

Not much of a drinker. Pepsi, with real sugar, usually works for me.

-WD-40

Double check

-A roll of duct tape on the floor/passenger seat is your new cup holder. Also if you need duct tape, you'll have it.

Yup. I even spring for the good stuff.

-At stops, feel the temp of your hubs and maybe the rear axle. You can get a feeling if you are having a problem.

Yup, I do that all the time already, a REALLY good habit if you ask me....along with checking the oil and a once a day general inspection for loose stuff. I may try painting some of the bolts on stuff to see if I can see movement?

-Bungee cords within reach. When (not if) the gear levers start rattling uncontrollably, put a bungee cord on it to quiet it down

Need more for sure. I have the shifter thing worked out pretty well with the new transmission and t-case.

That is about all I can think of right now. I hope you are putting a top on that thing as that'll make things a lot better.

No top really. I have the bikini top to keep the sun off my head most of the time. I have been playing around with making some side panels but they will only be good to keep the weather out at slow speeds.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier