2000 Jeep XJ

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thinking of buying a 2000 Jeep XJ. Looks to be in good shape. A little rust spot on the passenger side fender. Has a 4.5” Rough Country lift. Has BFG mud terrains not sure of the size. Has 97,000 miles on this engine. Have another 4 months on the warranty. Has a winch bumper up front but not coming with a winch. The person is asking 2000 dollars for it. Does that sound like a good price?

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
yes, with that low mileage on it. There may be additional costs if it has sat for a long period of time......check the fluids....look for "wet" areas on the underside that can tell what the seals may look like (greater costs). Rust in that area may be an indication there is much more so check around and look underneath. Also take a look at the radiator fluid by opening up the cap....if it appears there is build up and discoloration that may mean replacing the radiator and the water pump. If the rust is isolated, no leaks and the engine runs good that is a good price for a well built vehicle if it was taken care of). I hope others chime in as well. I am not a mechanic, but speak from owning one for 20 years (as well as 3-4 other jeeps) and trying to do my best at educating myself on maintenance and care of my vehicles.

TylerA23

4 months left on warranty? I assume that means its new / rebuilt / swapped engine?

Like @Flyfishjeep said, check for leaks (which your bound to have some oil somewhere with it being a 4.0) its just a matter of how bad typically. But Definitely check that radiator fluid. 2000-2001 years have known problems that you can search (google). I'd also look more into that rust. Due to their age, and how they were built/material , are rust prone and some areas can turn into a nightmare. Ive seen guys replacing entire floor pans/ and daggum nearly the whole jeep, and thats not worth it to me.

Others will certainly chime in on this forum, but Id also tell ya to check out CherokeeForum.com there is TONS of info on that site. Use the search function over there and you can find step by step details to any and all problems you'd ever come across. (believe me I've used them a lot haha).

On a personal side, I'm hesitant to buy used vehicles with lifts and thats for several reasons.
1) you dont always know what you have or its shape
2) you dont know the competency of who put it on
3) (in my experience) lifted vehicles tend to be ragged out and abused.
4) and others....

Price isn't everything. Condition and how it was maintained is important. People ask/pay more than I ever would for a rusted out beater, and then others find a diamond in the rough , beautiful garage find, and pay next to nothing.

Good Luck! and let us know what you end up doing (and pics of course!)

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Everything looks clean in the truck. Engine compartment is clean. Has a new radiator. A friend of mine who is more mechanically inclined then me is going to check the truck out tomorrow. The girls boyfriend is a mechanic and has done all the work on the Jeep.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I’ll probably put new gears in the Jeep. A lot of people don’t realize that bigger tires require higher gears.

Heavyopp

Observer
I’ll bet money the passenger floor is rotted too

Pull off the interior panels in the rear,right where the rust is, bet the rear fender/wheel well is filled with mud

You say 97,000 on this engine — how many miles on the chassis? some sort of rebuilt engine? Done by who? Receipts?

My opinion having never seen this XJ - $2000 is too much — with rot at the rear like that you can be sure there is more — lay underneath and find it
I own a 2000 and a 96
paid $200 for the 2000 needed a new head but ended up finding a motor in a wrecked wj with 29,000 miles on it — swapped the motor — this one has very little rust — 225,000 miles on chassis

Paid $400 for the 96 — 136,000 miles — needed very little — back cargo floor rotted still needs to be addressed

Point is, unless it’s perfect or has really low miles $2000 is steep for a XJ you need to work on

Where are you? I’m in NJ — all my Jeeps have lived in the road salt/brine

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Not sure where they got the engine. The boyfriend put the motor in. Jeep has 3:55 gears, Dana 35 in the rear. Jeep does have a short arm lift. Friend of mine is meeting me there today to look at it. He’s more mechanically inclined and with 2 back surgeries not able to crawl under the truck.

scrubber3

Not really here
It's going to need gears and at least a Chrysler 8.25 in it because that D35 just won't do. You can find those relatively easy.

I say find another mechanic and ask the folks selling the jeep to work with you on taking it to get it looked at. Most shops will look it over for a (usually) modest fee. Consider it your first investment in the jeep. If you decide to purchase, offer less (what you want to pay) and go from there. Be sure it's checked for rust very well. Too much rust is a deal breaker, you dont want do deal with that

Keep in mind that this is not a new car and expect to pay for things monthly. Im always finding stuff to do to mine.

A picture of the whole jeep would help us visualize this whole scenario btw...

Oh and consider the age/ maturity of the person(BF) who has done the work to the jeep. If he is professional and presents knowledge of the vehicle in an honest manner, that's a plus. If not, I'd hesitate.

Last edited:

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
He is in his late 20s. He has been professional and has explained fully what he has done to the Jeep. The girl is best friends with a daughter of a guy I go to church with and am in the knights of Columbus with. He swears she is very honest. She also hasn’t held anything back. Answers all questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz